Possible Port Of Flash?

linc186

Still Fresh
If you run ubuntu, you know about the USC (Ubuntu Software Center.) This is where ubuntu developers post their programs or something they've written for it. These are all open source. There is an existing flash 10 plug in available for download on the USC that is indeed pen source. Can a Pandora port be made from this?

linc186 said:
These are all open source.
No, they are not. And no, there is not a single open source flash plugin that is fully compatible with flash 10, Gnash is the closest you can get.
The Software-Center displays all software available from the repositories, either everything or only those officially supplied by Canonical. The possibility to filter for open source software died with the Software-Center's predecessor.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56799-flash-plugin-for-cortex-a8/

linc186 said:
If you run ubuntu, you know about the USC (Ubuntu Software Center.) This is where ubuntu developers post their programs or something they've written for it. These are all open source. There is an existing flash 10 plug in available for download on the USC that is indeed pen source. Can a Pandora port be made from this?
Flash 10 is closed and contained in either the partner repo, or restricted (both repos for closed-source software). It's an understandable mistake though, I wouldn't fault you for it. :p

Basically, there are five repos to worry about (well actually, this gets more complicated with the paid commercial software... No clue how that works):

• Main - Open Source software that Canonical provides security updates and bug fixes for
  • Restricted - Closed source software... Canonical does what they can.
  • Universe - The vast majority of software available; open source, maintained by volunteers
  • Multiverse - Closed source. I don't think anyone maintains the stuff here.
  • Partner - Not quite sure, but some closed source Adobe software and Java resides here (Flash was most likely in this repo).

Letalis Sonus said:
linc186 said:
These are all open source.
No, they are not. And no, there is not a single open source flash plugin that is fully compatible with flash 10, Gnash is the closest you can get.
The Software-Center displays all software available from the repositories, either everything or only those officially supplied by Canonical. The possibility to filter for open source software died with the Software-Center's predecessor.

Yeah, but gnash only covers flash v7 and a little bit of v9. Lightspark would probably be the better choice since it has most of Actionscript v3 etc.

fettouhi said:
Yeah, but gnash only covers flash v7 and a little bit of v9. Lightspark would probably be the better choice since it has most of Actionscript v3 etc.
Lightspark's flash support still sucks big times. It is not able to run a single flash out of my small collection reaching from simple animations to rather complex games (either it is "unsupported something", or it displays random things and then crashes, or it just crashes right away), whereas Gnash can run most of them with little or no problems (at least it never crashes). I'm repeating this small test every time the PPA gets an update.
Sorry, but Gnash is still the most compatible alternative flash player, even if it lacks features of flash 8, 9, and 10, it simply supports those versions still much better than anything else.

Letalis Sonus said:
fettouhi said:
Lightspark's flash support still sucks big times. [...]
Sorry, but Gnash is still the most compatible alternative flash player, even if it lacks features of flash 8, 9, and 10, it simply supports those versions still much better than anything else.
Beside, lightspark use some kind of dynarec for the actionscript that is targetting x86. There is no arm port ongoing (at least as much as I know)
And it now use Gallium3D infrastructure to accelerate rendering. This is not available on the pandora and isn't going to come either (close source driver).

So I wouldn't hold my breath on lightspark

Back