Possible fix for Wifi speeds found

Darkknight512

I have found a possible fix for slow wifi on the Pandora, I have noticed in Tomato on my WRT54GL that whenever I start a download on my Pandora the wireless rate on the router will drop to 1 or 2 Mbps.

I went into Advanced -> Wireless -> Transmission Rate and locked it at 36 Mbps, now I am getting 210 KB/s download on my Pandora, instead of 60 KB/s. I have left power managment on and left wireless rate on the Pandora side on auto.

No changes to channels, wireless security or other settings have been changed on the router side or Pandora side.

Last edited by a moderator:
mines default at 54mbps, explain to me why turning it down to 36 would make it better...

mines default at 54mbps, explain to me why turning it down to 36 would make it better...

Sure it's not set to automatic?

You should also be able to lock it at 54mbps

Sounds possible for me.

We know some routers don't like the Pandora and are slow while others work absolutely fine.

Maybe the routers that are slow think that the Pandora is a slow WiFi device and throttles the speed?

Locking it at a higher rate could prevent that from happening.

no i just double checked, its default is set to 54kbps, and i get the same thing when download on pandora OP mention, it even likes to ping out every other wifi connection connected to router if im downloading something large on pandora

but to be fair, op might also be onto something, since my router default is at 54mbps, i have gotten a healthy 550kb/s download speeds on pandora from usenet, but these are very static speeds, it constantly jumps between 50 and 550 kb/s, using a very reliable download source

My WDS (2 routers in a wireless link) link drops out at above 36 Mbps because the signal between them is so low, so it is a requirement of my network but maybe not yours.

I have actually had the same issue with my WRT54GL, but not with the Pandora. The speed will suddenly drop to 1-2 Mbps for a few hours (it's never lasted more than a day). It seems to go away on its own after a while, though (setting the transmit speed manually never seemed to work in my case).

On the other hand, I always get 600-800 Kbps on my Pandora, which is about twice my actual internet speed. The speed issues on my PC have only occurred three or four times.

Anyway, since my WRT54GL seems to work as well as anyone could expect with the Pandora, I guess that points to a software issue (I'm running DD-WRT rather than Tomato)...

Back