Porting Novashell Game Creation System

Prometheus said:
Please pardon my off-topicness for a moment, Pleng and sebt3. :p

TylerAW said:
Also I would love to go for it if someone had a compiling source code for dummies book.
It's not too hard - all you need to do is do a bit of Googling (or just reading any documentation that happens to be provided with the source code - just like many pre-compiled programs, you'll often find that there's something like a "Readme") and be ready to follow some instructions. Sometimes it's incredibly simple - as simple as typing a few words and pressing Enter. I've been using Linux for almost three years now, and I compiled stuff within my very first few hours. (By choice, not because it was actually necessary.) Just give it a go - it's very unlikely to do any harm. :)
OK I will have a look at some of the Pandora docs and the Game Editor source code, I wish there was a Pandora Emulator for Windows so I can check some stuff :p

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, next step trying to compile Novashell!

sweetlilmre said:
Apply this patch: http://pastebin.com/pHiWDjvs
to the novashell/clanlibstuff/novashell/source dir.

I don't really know anything about patching. I had a quick look on google and tried the following, but I guess I'm doing something wrong:

pleng@ubuntu:~/compiles/rtsvn/clanlibstuff/novashell/source$ patch -p0 < gp32xpatch
patching file Makefile.am
Hunk #1 FAILED at 37.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.am.rej
patching file AppUtils.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 93.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file AppUtils.h.rej
patching file AI/Makefile.am
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file AI/Makefile.am.rej
pleng@ubuntu:~/compiles/rtsvn/clanlibstuff/novashell/source$ patch < gp32xpatch patching file Makefile.am
Hunk #1 FAILED at 37.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 47.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.am.rej
patching file AppUtils.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 93.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file AppUtils.h.rej
patching file Makefile.am
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.am.rej

What do I need to do here?

sweetlilmre said:
More info:

Download and compile boost, lua and luabind separately.

Also, how do I know which version of Lua I need? Can I just use the latest one? I've had a look in the RTSoft source tree and there seems to be no indication of which version it's using. And do I compile it in a separate directory? Or overwrite the LUA directory in the novashell tree?

Edit:
Hmmmm... When you run Novashell it says Lua 5.13 RTEdition initted. This leads me to believe that Seth has made some alterations to Lua for Novashell... which makes me think installing/compiling the standard versions might give some pretty hoopy results? What do the rest of you think??

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Just to let you know this project is no longer being worked on. I've spent too much of my holiday getting nowhere with this and therefore have other things I need to catch up on.

If anybody else is interested in continuing, there is a version that apparently complies under Linux here, complete with a Code::Blocks project, but I can't get it working under my Ubuntu set up.

Back