Pandora Porting App To Pandora

Butterman

Gief Pandara
Website
Visit site
Hey.

I'm currently using SDL, Opengl and SDL_net in TINCS. I know SDL will be on the Pandora, but how will it integrate with OpenGL ES 2.0? Will it be able to create OpenGL ES 2.0 windows? On that note, I cant find good OpenGL ES tutorials anywhere.

What about SDL_net? Will I have to compile the source for ARM? Will that be enough to make it work on Pandora?

Thanks.

Butterman said:
Hey.

I'm currently using SDL, Opengl and SDL_net in TINCS. I know SDL will be on the Pandora, but how will it integrate with OpenGL ES 2.0? Will it be able to create OpenGL ES 2.0 windows? On that note, I cant find good OpenGL ES tutorials anywhere.

What about SDL_net? Will I have to compile the source for ARM? Will that be enough to make it work on Pandora?

Thanks.
So I've finally found out where the OpenGL ES 2.0 SDK went on my computer, the window initialization code is much different to OpenGL, so i started looking around for SDL support, I found that SDL 1.3 (trunk build) supports OpenGL ES, great, except I have no idea how to use it at all.

Surely there must be somebody who can give me advice on how I should do this? The SDK only contains Windows examples too, I've barely used Linux as a target platform and have no idea (outside of SDL) how to create windows for it.

Blah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Butterman said:
Butterman said:
Hey.

Thanks.
So I've finally found out where the OpenGL ES 2.0 SDK went on my computer, the window initialization code is much different to OpenGL, so i started looking around for SDL support, I found that SDL 1.3 (trunk build) supports OpenGL ES, great, except I have no idea how to use it at all.

Surely there must be somebody who can give me advice on how I should do this? The SDK only contains Windows examples too, I've barely used Linux as a target platform and have no idea (outside of SDL) how to create windows for it.

Blah.

I would help, but I've not even started my own "3D toolkit" for the Pandora yet. I've got all these headaches to look forward to... :lol:

PokeParadox said:
I would help, but I've not even started my own "3D toolkit" for the Pandora yet. I've got all these headaches to look forward to... :lol:
You have no idea... I've ended up setting up a OpenEmbbeded beagle board set up on a Sun Virtual Box emulator, so I'm emulating an emulator which is giving me a similar environment to a Pandora.

I've also read somewhere that GP2X stuff will work in Pandora, so I'm setting up an environment for that, then I'm going to find OpenGL ES 2.0 linux documentation and I can test all of that on the beagle board.

Apart from finding some good OpenGL ES 2.0 documentation I'm good to go! It looks like I can have something ready for release day :D

Butterman said:
Currently, no, it won't be able to do ES 2.0 windows. There's some code in the 1.3 head of SDL that comes from the Google Summer of Code project to do an iPhone version of SDL. It doesn't play nice outside of that environment, but there's at least one person working on cleaning house on that so that ES 1.1 support will "work right" and then from there, 2.0 support can be properly added.

With that in mind, unless you need programmable shader support, you CAN stick with ES 1.1 which is also going to be available on the Pandora, which may get you going a bit faster as it's going to be what will work right out of box on SDL shortly.

Yes, all you need to do is recompile for SDL_net.

Svartalf said:
With that in mind, unless you need programmable shader support, you CAN stick with ES 1.1 which is also going to be available on the Pandora, which may get you going a bit faster as it's going to be what will work right out of box on SDL shortly.

Right, so ES 1.1 will work out of the box with SDL? Well, that's a non-issue then, I can't see myself needing shaders for a while.

Would I basically just be writing a normal OGL application then?

You CAN use SDL with OpenGL ES 2.0, but it takes a bit of work (eg, you access the X window in the SDL structure directly). See my OpenGL ES thread for info.

Capn_Fish said:
You CAN use SDL with OpenGL ES 2.0, but it takes a bit of work (eg, you access the X window in the SDL structure directly). See my OpenGL ES thread for info.
Thanks!, but I have no idea how to search posts on these boards, could you link me to the thread?.

Back