Port Warzone 2100

rohezal

Advanced Member
Its a very good Real Time Strategy Game. There is a PSX version. And now its open source. Well we need to use opengl es but it should run way faster then on the PS1.

http://wz2100.net/

Can someone try to port it?

I don't think Caanoo have enough power to run this game...and also resolution is a problem...read this on official FAQ of the game:
The game can use any resolution that is at least 640x480.

This is a work for Pandora....

You could try to run the PSX version with PCSXRearmed and see if playable.

PS Rearmed does not use the GPU... which is a serious problem. But if I am thinking about it... SDL uses the software renderer too or?

This would suck, since there some triangles to draw :(

rohezal said:

PS Rearmed does not use the GPU... which is a serious problem. But if I am thinking about it... SDL uses the software renderer too or?

This would suck, since there some triangles to draw :(

what does SDL have to do with it? All it is doing is getting the window and setting up the context.

I dont think you realize how slow the caanoo gpu is. Pandora has a plugin for PS1 rendering through opengles and its slower than the neon renderer.

But bringing up the ps1 just beacuse this game used to run on it i think is a bit pointless. The game was ported to use PC tech and is completely different from what was used for the ps1.

The game probably would 'run' on the caanoo, but I dont think its really practical. I think a port to the pandora would make the most sense, then see how it performs. Figure that the caanoo will be several times slower and decide if its worth it to try and get 320x240 to work, with all the needed gui changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually,

the ps1 version runs really smooth using pcsx rearmed.

only downside, no skirmish-mode :( I suppose it was the same in the original

I dont think you realize how slow the caanoo gpu is. Pandora has a plugin for PS1 rendering through opengles and its slower than the neon renderer.

Ok you see me surprised. For payback it runs quite fast (not software or)? Is the shading pipeline (filter, uv lookups, lightning) realy so horrible slow? The caanoo has no floating point unit and the triangles in the psx are floats or am I wrong?

Anyway the forums of warzone say its probably not worth it :(
http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9264

Back