GP32 [PORT] Star Control 2

-Lord Ebonstone-

Still Fresh
Hey all--

Considering Star Control 2 is now open-source... would anyone like to help me figure out a way to port this baby to the GP32? Or at least nudge me in the right direction?

Info is located here.

I'll help with any questions you have... I'm a little busy with my stupid broken non-debugging ffplay port right now, but seeing as they're apparently using SDL for their opensource version it should be a little easier than normal.

Sounds good! :)

So far I've poked around the SC2 source and done some research on SDL--but I'm still a little stumped on finding a starting place. Do I need to download the GP32 SDL beta libraries and convert the PC SDL references to GP32 SDL references? Should I worry mainly about getting graphics/controls/startup/sound working, or should I start re-wiring the game engine itself? Which is to say, is it safe to assume that the code will "work" if I can switch around the SDL from PC to GP32?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I'm exceptionally new to porting, as well as the GP32 in general. Still, I figured that SOME effort toward porting SC2 might at least raise awareness and maybe attract a few more experienced fans to help me... :p

Hmm... The Ur-Quan Masters needs at least 200 mhz and 30 megabytes of RAM. Although these steep requirements may well be due to Windows' inherent inneficiency, it seems to me that a port would be nigh impossible.

Sid Elias posted on Sep 11 2003 at 01:48 AM said:
Hmm... The Ur-Quan Masters needs at least 200 mhz and 30 megabytes of RAM. Although these steep requirements may well be due to Windows' inherent inneficiency, it seems to me that a port would be nigh impossible.
Yeah, I noticed that. One thing though: that's because of it being the "3DO" version, which included enhanced sounds and voices and OpenGL support and all sorts of wacky things.

The original title required a 386 and 4MB of RAM, if memory serves. It ran like a dream on my 486 w. 16MB RAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord Ebonstone- posted on Sep 10 2003 at 07:32 PM said:
So far I've poked around the SC2 source and done some research on SDL--but I'm still a little stumped on finding a starting place. Do I need to download the GP32 SDL beta libraries and convert the PC SDL references to GP32 SDL references? Should I worry mainly about getting graphics/controls/startup/sound working, or should I start re-wiring the game engine itself? Which is to say, is it safe to assume that the code will "work" if I can switch around the SDL from PC to GP32?
Well, you shouldn't need to "convert" SDL references, you should just be able to point it at the GP32 libraries at link time. Mind you, there is debugging work involved, as GP32 SDL supports a small subset of what is supported by the full SDL, simply because of the limitations of the hardware and the current lack of OGG/MP3 support in SDL. I think Chui's working on this though, so not to worry. :)

In any case, try to remove all the 3DO special features, and then just get it compiling. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A port of star control or star control 2 would be heaven :p

I'm imagining it over RF with a mate :D the ultimate pissed at home, playing on the 3DO game!

:D

Tried the Genesis version, and it doesn't work onj either emu!!!!

Is there a version which works on the GP32 on any emu?

Pleeeeeease?

Back