[Poll] What's best in the P1 - What should the P2 have?

Your top 5 features (choose 5)

• Hardware Keyboard

Votes: 87 86.1%
  • Real Linux (not locked/dumbed down)(not android)

Votes: 84 83.2%
  • Game controls (also known as pointer control, scroll nub, arrow keys, mouse buttons)

Votes: 79 78.2%
  • Full USB host

Votes: 46 45.5%
  • 10h Battery life

Votes: 82 81.2%
  • SDXC slots

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • screen resolution>200ppi

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Clamshellyness

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Resistive touchscreen

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Great sound quality

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • External GPIO pins (for hardware hacking)

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
Title says it. I can always add things to the poll.

Also worth considering (& posting about):

What are the biggest shortfalls of the P1

Which of them could be easily/cheaply resolved in a P2? How?

I've found a bug in the forum software:

If no replies have been posted, the view counter is stuck at 0.

5 people have viewed this topic and voted, yet it says no-one has viewed it yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume that by 'Real Linux' you mean not Android, if this is so it may be worth specifying this as some people may consider it 'Real Linux'.

Fixed.

-

Hey the view count has suddenly gone up to 39!

I really don't want a resistive touchscreen. Then I would have to get a speciell stylus for my Pandora. Mayby there is something I am not seeing, can someone give me a exempel of what the resistive touchscreen could do for the Pandora 2?

WAIT NO! XD I must have mixt then up in my head I realy want resistive not that other one

I really don't want a resistive touchscreen. Then I would have to get a speciell stylus for my Pandora. Mayby there is something I am not seeing, can someone give me a exempel of what the resistive touchscreen could do for the Pandora 2?

WAIT NO! XD I must have mixt then up in my head I realy want resistive not that other one

never mind it looks like you figured it out.. :ph34r:

The current screen on the Pandora is resistive touch. Capacitance touch is what the new phones have, but are not good for very detail work and can't use a regular stylus, but have the benefit of multi-touch.

Yup, you (were) confused.
resistive --> Pandora1, accuracy, single touch (mostly) touch with anything

It so far real Linux is definitely in the top 5. (ammo against Craig EDIT: Clarification: this is likely to be used/seen as such, should another argument arise, as it probably will)

-

What do people feel are the greatest shortcomings of the P1?

I can't really think of any, to be honest, but do bear in mind that the device fulfilled my requirements and expectations from day one, with no issues. There *is* one minor thing that I've occasionally noticed, though, and that's that the keyboard keys sometimes catch on the plastic surrounding them.

I don't really think it's practical to change that, though. I figure that a keymat with game-button-style plastic keys, which work exactly the same as the game-buttons (which is the only way I could think of for them to not catch on the casing), isn't really feasible for it. :p I like the response they give, so I wouldn't suggest changing that.

If possible a slightly bigger screen.Analogue sticks instead of nubs.Better shoulder buttons. And id like it to have some all new features so that its not too similar to the P1 so i could have a new toy.

It so far real Linux is definitely in the top 5. (ammo against Craig)

-

Are you retarded? How many times, and seriously, once more and you're banned:

The Pandora2 can ONLY HAVE real linux if volunteers are able to do it. There is no 'ammo'

here against me, do you think a forum poll will make linux just appear on a pandora2 out

of nowhere?

Don't expect it to happen at any speed or in any useable form on launch, it might happen

that a group of devs decide to do it and it is ready and working on launch, but what I keep

saying is DO NOT EXPECT it to just magically appear.

Why can't you get these facts in to your head?

Are you volunteering to do some of the enormous amounts of work involved?

Do you even comprehend the work involved?

Just curious how will Android going to be any easier to support from launch? This is a real question, not a jab at your comments... But I can see many of the same challenges supporting custom hardware with Android as Native Linux. And as far as I know, all the current OMAP SoCs already have native Linux support.

And Craig, I for one never expected anything to magically appear.. Look at what the community with a bunch of hard work has built with the current Pandora.. I see this community pushing the boundaries of what the OMAP 3 can handle everyday.. it's really remarkable.

TrashyMG,

I'm guessing if there is a Pandora2 it'll be based off of a tablet / cell "mobo"/chipset that already exists and has Android running on it, so all the driver development is done. Pure conjecture on my part. This hypothetical beast would be differentiated by the controls - and possibly keyboard - on the Pandora2. The original vendor's product would be a more traditional slate or phone.

The "ideal" solution would be a successor chipset to the current Pandora - aka another binary compatible version of OMAP, or something that just needs a translation layer like the layer that allows us to run GP2X F200 stuff on the Pandora - that also runs Android and a standard distro like Angstrom, Ubuntu, so you get:

1. Android out of the box

2. A Linux that has a larger development community out of the box. The Pandora community has done a huge amount of work that shouldn't be poo pooed on the current Pandora's firmware, but if a standard Linux ran on the Pandora2 out of the box, so much the better. (And ubuntu / kubuntu seem to be trying to make inroads to the tablet market so this isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility.)

3. Backwards compatible with the Pandora1 so all the work already done for the current gen system doesn't go out the door with the next gen.

I don't know how realistic this is, what time frames, if any, Craig is looking at. Heck, I don't even know what he even envisions as a Pandora2. I haven't been in the forums nearly as much of late, but I haven't heard him commit to the current DS style clamshell, a tablet, or anything else - but I could've easily have missed this.

If the Pandora2 used an entirely different chipset, say the TegraX, then at the least everything compiled for the Pandora1 would need to be recompiled to run on the Pandora2. At worst, if Linux isn't fully developed for it, then things would have to be converted to run in an Android environment.

Edit: It's the Spark Linux tablet I was thinking of running KDE - not Ubuntu or Kubuntu, but it seems like Ubuntu's been trying to get things "lighter" so it'd run decently on a tablet.

The Pandora2 can ONLY HAVE real linux if volunteers are able to do it. There is no 'ammo'

here against me, do you think a forum poll will make linux just appear on a pandora2 out

of nowhere?

Don't expect it to happen at any speed or in any useable form on launch, it might happen

that a group of devs decide to do it and it is ready and working on launch, but what I keep

saying is DO NOT EXPECT it to just magically appear.

I guess this all depends on where Pandora 2 comes from. If it is manufactured by Open Pandora GMBH (ED's company) then I'd be incredibly surprised to see anything other than Linux being the default and 'official' OS. If it is manufactured by Open Pandora Ltd then we're looking at android as the default OS with no restriction whatsoever on a community based Linux OS being made available.

It would be great if Craig & ED could get their heads together and come up with a definitive statement regarding who will be producing Pandora 2.

What I'd love to see is a joint venture between OP Ltd & OP GmbH for the production of Pandora 2. Without a better understanding of the vision that Craig & ED have for Pandora 2 then the possibility of such a joint venture is moot.

Let's all keep our minds (and ears) open and make Pandora 2 something special.

Back