Podcast Software

jkimrey

Still Fresh
Are there any podcast software out there that work well with the GP32x? (IE - supports bookmarks, easy management of feeds, etc).

I'm trying to decide between a GP32x to play around with or an MP3 player (that would be used mostly for listening to podcasts)...

If the GP32x could work for both... :)

Thanks!

there are many podcatchers designed to work with products besides the ipod. many of them let you download to an ext usb device, flash card, or any hard drive. they allow you to delete old 'casts by date or size. this style of software works peferfectly with the gp2x.

however, without knowing what operating system you're running, i really can't suggest anything ;)

edit: i just realized juice is multiplatform and should do you right ... it's what i use and hasn't ever done me wrong. i think it only cleans up based on date, rather than file space, but i'm not sure.

Okay, was that an insult or what? :rolleyes:

TelcoLou posted on Sep 18 2006 at 07:21 PM said:
You seem like the Ipod type. Go with that.

Thanks for the info. I've tried Juice (I'm running on a Win XP system). That would work good for getting the podcast to the computer (and syncing to the memory card on the gp2x).

My question was mostly concerning the software that would be available on the gpx2 to play the podcasts; how good the audio players were and whether they support functions such as bookmarks, etc.

Thanks again for all the good info!

starpause posted on Sep 18 2006 at 08:39 PM said:
there are many podcatchers designed to work with products besides the ipod. many of them let you download to an ext usb device, flash card, or any hard drive. they allow you to delete old 'casts by date or size. this style of software works peferfectly with the gp2x.

however, without knowing what operating system you're running, i really can't suggest anything ;)

edit: i just realized juice is multiplatform and should do you right ... it's what i use and hasn't ever done me wrong. i think it only cleans up based on date, rather than file space, but i'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
JonathanK posted on Sep 18 2006 at 09:25 PM said:
Okay at was that an insult or what? :rolleyes:

I'm feeling jovial tonight, so I'll explain:

This statement:

I'm trying to decide between a GP32x to play around with or an MP3 player

... leads me to believe you're more interested in an MP3 player and podcasts specifically. The GP2X (NOT GP32x as you mis-typed) is designed more as a gaming machine, so I pointed you toward the direction of an Ipod.

Gotcha. Well, that (podcast) is one fuction I'm looking for, but it'd also be nice to be able to have a portable emulator to run some of the older games.

I've kinda cooled on that some, though, after reading the problems with the joystick on the device...

And sorry about the typo!

TelcoLou posted on Sep 18 2006 at 09:30 PM said:
JonathanK posted on Sep 18 2006 at 09:25 PM said:
Okay at was that an insult or what? :rolleyes:

I'm feeling jovial tonight, so I'll explain:

This statement:

I'm trying to decide between a GP32x to play around with or an MP3 player

... leads me to believe you're more interested in an MP3 player and podcasts specifically. The GP2X (NOT GP32x as you mis-typed) is designed more as a gaming machine, so I pointed you toward the direction of an Ipod.

I never got this whole 'podcasting' thing. It's just an Mp3 file you put up for people to download. The only difference I can see is that you can be told when one is posted by an RSS feed and a program can grab it for you .. it's still not a broadcast, it's an MP3 file. But instead of music you're listening to someone talk. We had those before the iPod and they were just called internet radio shows, or 'internet radio shows saved as MP3s'. Not as catchy but more accurate. Baffling...

bit off topic, but il be using the gp2x to stream live radio when i get wifi setup (im too busy atm so i cant get all the stuff). plugged into the aux port of the hifi, then i have a really diverse little machine $$

i_am_a_noob posted on Sep 19 2006 at 03:47 AM said:
Can you call it a PODcast if it's on the GP2X

hmm I don't think GP2Xcast is quite as catchy...

I agree Epicenter... I don't really get this whole Podcast thing either :-|| I just bought an iPod originally just because it can play AAC encoded audio.

The whole podcasting just doesn't appeal or make sense to me. I just encode my own cds... and download the rest of my music... bleh

The GP2X audio player doesn't support bookmarks like the video player does. Since they probably think we'll be listening to 3 minute songs it wouldn't make sense there, but as you know the podcasts are often more than one hour. I have already made a request for optional bookmark support in the music player on the official GP2X boards. I wonder if the forthcoming 2.1.0 firmware will change anything with the audio player? (GPH, please fix the broken MMU hack and release that thing already!) :rolleyes:

I used to "not get" podcasts either and couldn't get into them, but I found a bunch of podcast topics I was interested in and listening to those in my car going to work is great! Try the Yahoo Podcast Directory. I bought a FM transmitter and I hook up my GP2X and go! I know most people probably look down on me for simply playing mp3 or ogg podcasts on my GP2X, but I can't game while driving! I have all the latest emus too and just put the psx game Silent Hill on my new 1gb SD, so I do use my GP2X for what it was "meant" to do too! :D

Listening to podcasts is now much more feasable now than trying MadPlayer on my GP32 with my little 128MB smartmedia card.

unlike an internet radio show or real radio show you dont have to tune in at the time it is being broadcasted
and you do not have hunt down for the new mp3 file to download

for a postcaster like me its free to set up
I can rant and rave about anything without any air time cost (setting up a broadcasting tower, etc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast
--------------------------
amiga podcast (in dev)
http://amigapodcast.pbwiki.com/

Yes, I know the idea. But why is it called Podcasting as such a recent occurance? People have been posting Mp3s of their voice recorded for a long time and it never got a special name. It's not some new revolutionary concept; I've listened to 3 or 4 different internet radio shows that released their episodes as Mp3 files. It's not anything new or special, except that now it's 'trendy' and a lot more people do it (most of which are a lot of, as Strong Bad would put it, 'Dead air, Um, Dead air.')

Epicenter posted on Sep 19 2006 at 01:18 PM said:
I never got this whole 'podcasting' thing. It's just an Mp3 file you put up for people to download. The only difference I can see is that you can be told when one is posted by an RSS feed and a program can grab it for you .. it's still not a broadcast, it's an MP3 file. But instead of music you're listening to someone talk. We had those before the iPod and they were just called internet radio shows, or 'internet radio shows saved as MP3s'. Not as catchy but more accurate. Baffling...

Hoofuckingray :D . Someone who mentioned that issue. I thought I was being stupid. I downloaded a 'podcast' and listened to it in amarok...turned out it was an mp3 file ?!!?!?!? :lol:

Marketing idiots who think up stupid buzzwords....like web 2.0, wtf?

Anyway I thought gp2x was sold as a pmp with gaming abilities?!

Pretty much, I'm not sure what GPH really intended the device to do. They seemed to just be all psyched up that it played MPEG4 video, MP3s, and OGGs, along with the WMA/WMV support that never really materialized. As well as viewing images (and you can rotate them! YE GODS!) I'm not sure how much they really expected people to do any serious gaming on it, but much the opposite; most of this community just considered the multimedia functions to be interesting side bonuses ...

I think the only difference between "Podcasts" and mp3 downloads is RSS.
The idea being that if someone opened iTunes, your favourite shows would just be there, without even visiting the show's website.

I still usually download the file directly though.

Honestly, whether the idea of a podcast is trendy or not doesn't really matter to me. It does help, however, when more and more people are exposed to the idea, as we get more options (ie - content) and better software (ie - supporting bookmarks, etc).

As someone else mentioned, they're great for listening in the car. Before they existed (or became popular enough to provide the depth of content) I couldn't listen to Leo Leporte, engadget, etc on the way to/from work.

And while I realize that the GP2X wasn't designed specifically for this purpose, if it CAN accomplish it with relative efficiency, why would I pay $200 for a dedicated mp3 player when I can get a device that can handle that, plus video, gaming, etc?

Anyway, I didn't want to cause a firestorm or anything. :)

Thanks to all for the feedback; appreciated.

Epicenter posted on Sep 19 2006 at 12:05 PM said:
Yes, I know the idea. But why is it called Podcasting as such a recent occurance? People have been posting Mp3s of their voice recorded for a long time and it never got a special name. It's not some new revolutionary concept; I've listened to 3 or 4 different internet radio shows that released their episodes as Mp3 files. It's not anything new or special, except that now it's 'trendy' and a lot more people do it (most of which are a lot of, as Strong Bad would put it, 'Dead air, Um, Dead air.')

Exactly! I have a 2 year old who takes the majority of my free time.

I like the ability to come home from work, plug a device into the computer, and forget about it.

The next morning, the new content is ready to go on the player.

To accomplish this well, two aspects are required - software running on the computer to manage the feeds, and software on the player to play the file. And after listening to podcasts (or whatever you wanna call them) for a couple weeks, it's really obvious that most of the players out there are not designed for podcasts in mind (lack features that make listening easy and simple).

Apparently that's one of the draws to ipods - their integration with itunes. Personally, I've never tried an ipod as I believe (at least in the past) you can get another player with more features for the same price.

Aninhumer posted on Sep 19 2006 at 02:56 PM said:
I think the only difference between "Podcasts" and mp3 downloads is RSS.
The idea being that if someone opened iTunes, your favourite shows would just be there, without even visiting the show's website.

I still usually download the file directly though.

Yeah, that's why I really love my PPC-6700 - used with Sprint service here in to US, I can stream radio, etc. And with my Slingbox, I can watch TV also; very cool. :)

Samba Pa Ti posted on Sep 19 2006 at 08:46 AM said:
bit off topic, but il be using the gp2x to stream live radio when i get wifi setup (im too busy atm so i cant get all the stuff). plugged into the aux port of the hifi, then i have a really diverse little machine $$

Back