Pocketsnes 7.2.0 For Wiz, Caanoo And Gp2X

Tested the Wiz version and it is working great. Super Metroid is stable at 800MHz with fast/fast, and launched via GMenu2X using its tweaked RAM timings option. FPS drops to 40ish in Super Metroid when transparency effects are active (yellow scanning beam from eye scanners), which is an improvement from the 35 or so FPS that I got before.

Wolfenstein 3-D did lock up after a few seconds with the same settings, but that was just a test so it's not important to me.

Akabei said:
Hm, maybe Caanoo news zone is the wrong section for you.

No announcement thread on the GP2X forums, and I do have a Caanoo! You're right, though, and I did go ahead and comment the issue on the GP2X download page.

Last edited by a moderator:
paradroid said:
I've tested super mario kart on gp2x and it works awesome! :D
But there is a problem...if I try to exit application my gp2x freeze.
my firmware is open2x dr7.

Edit the link in Gmenu2x and turn the 'wrapper' function 'on'. It doesn't crash then on exit.

Nightbird said:
paradroid said:

Edit the link in Gmenu2x and turn the 'wrapper' function 'on'. It doesn't crash then on exit.

Thanks for this, not only because it solved the problem but because it forced me to look at the gmenu2x documentation and actually learn about the neat stuff it can do.

Ok, fixed GP2X uploaded to:

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?p=1234265#post1234265

SML said:
Nightbird said:
paradroid said:

Thanks for this, not only because it solved the problem but because it forced me to look at the gmenu2x documentation and actually learn about the neat stuff it can do.

Hello everyone and thnx for this amazing fast emulator.

just 2-3 things to upgrade and it will be the best SNES emulator ever.

Fisrt : I have some problems with data saves, when i save a game and reset caanoo i can't continue the game, is that normal ?

Second : In some games (ex : FF3) sound is very bad, some one will fix it ?

Thnx again for this emulator.

Sorry for my english ;-)

tinos21 said:
Hello everyone and thnx for this amazing fast emulator.

just 2-3 things to upgrade and it will be the best SNES emulator ever.

Fisrt : I have some problems with data saves, when i save a game and reset caanoo i can't continue the game, is that normal ?

Second : In some games (ex : FF3) sound is very bad, some one will fix it ?

Thnx again for this emulator.

Sorry for my english ;-)

first: do you remember to fit save sram in the menu after saving in game?

second: A few games have sound errors, try snes9x4C for these games. The sound is completely warped in Dragon Quest III in pocketsnes but sounds fine in snes9x4C.

Thanks Bitrider, greatly appreciated. Everything that worked before still works (PunchOut & Populous) and Mario Kart now renders correctly but doesn't quite behave right:

i.e. I can't pick up coins or power ups and the off-track detection is a bit dodgy. Perhaps the track and the player kart are offset somehow?

Would it be possible to launch a game with the frontend ? I mean editing a command line with the direct link to the rom (like a mod for quake for example)

I tried to create a .gpe for this but it didn't work.

Optimus said:
I remember the hishing sound in the previous version of Pocketsnes. But now it's gone for me.

I tried both Wiz and Caanoo version. I can overclocked at 800Mhz with Wiz, while 750 maximum with Caanoo, so Wiz is naturally better for me. With 800, I get around 49-53fps in F-zero with transparencies enabled. 41-44fps with 750 Caanoo I think. I would love to try the GP2X version soon enough.
In other words, if Optimus here were to run his Wiz and Caanoo at the same Mhz, the Wiz would still manage to run Pocketsnes faster. Is this because the Caanoo port isn't as optimized, or that it lacks the optimization potential of the Wiz, or simply that it's CPU is more capable per Mhz?

Regardless, if this is a typical result, I find this news quite disappointing.

To anyone who's tested a large number of games:

About what % of games consistently run at a speed of 50 fps or higher?

I made some tests on the Caanoo with the 7.1.9b version. The results are from the last beta which became version 7.2.0.

Here the settings...

pocketsnes719btestsetti.jpg

Here the results...

pocketsnes719btestsheet.jpg

Thanks Yoshi Dragon.

I was thinking that if users switched their NTSC roms with PAL, which have a 50hz refresh rate, they'd only require 50 fps instead of 60 fps to reach full speed and may not experience quite as much choppiness during slowdowns since 60hz games are pretty much always losing a larger fps percentage. Unless I'm completely wrong about this, the fps requirements would lower by about 17%.

The LCD screen supposedly has a refresh rate of around 50hz as well, which should further improve the smoothness since the games will be more in sync with the screen.

As you know, disabling transparency gives games another boost. Where this would prove most useful is if bitrider or someone else would release an update that saved transparency settings for each game since you'd want to leave it enabled for some and disabled for others.

These strategies, combined with overclocking, would mean that each future speed up, however small, could have a notable impact since any PAL game hovering near the 50 fps sweet spot would benefit.

Hmmm, I always use the NTSC version of the ROM if possible. I'm not sure whether the PAL version will be really faster.

My original hardware is the Japanese Super Famicom, modded for US carts. I never bought the 50Hz PAL version of any console (even though I live in a PAL area), because most games just run 17% slower. In this case, the PAL version will not run faster in a emulator. Or in other words, the NTSC version running at 83% speed, still runs with the same speed as the PAL version at 100%. But, I might be wrong.

Try testing the PAL roms of Final Fight Guy and Super Buster Bros in Fast-Fast mode. According to your previous tests, they should run @ about 50 fps.

Even though NTSC is more desirable for it's higher fps, I think PAL makes a little more sense here since reaching 60 fps isn't very realistic at the moment.

Hi, guys I've made some backgrounds for myself and thought it would be good idea to share them with you.

How do you use the backgrounds?

Edit: Ok, I found the theme ini file and the spot where you type in the name of the graphic you want to use. I typed in ingame1.png and it still doesn't work. I have the image on unscaled.

darklight1138 said:
How do you use the backgrounds?

Edit: Ok, I found the theme ini file and the spot where you type in the name of the graphic you want to use. I typed in ingame1.png and it still doesn't work. I have the image on unscaled.

My settings of Default.ini file look like this:
background=background1.png
bar=bar.png
loading=
ingame=ingame.png

So maybe you need to leave loading option blank?

the theme ini file must have the same name as the folder in which the theme images are.

Back