Pocketdish Emulation?

project86

Check out the specs
As a fairly new DISH network satelite TV customer, I just found out about this thing... It's a pretty cool little device that allows you to plug in and download TV shows and watch them on the go. I have no idea what all would be required to make this happen, or if it is even remotely possible. It's just an idea.

There are actually 3 different units, the one I linked to is the midrange model. They have hard drives, so obviously the GP2X would be more limited, but you could still hold a decent amount on a 4GB SD card. It would be nice for me to be able to just plug in to USB, download all my content, and go.

Anyone with more knowledge about this feel free to tell me if it's totally impossible, no big deal.

are you saying you want to be able to plug your gp2x into your tv or dvr or whatever and record?

so bassicaly you want to use the gp2x as a dvr/pvr right?

I've got dish network, too. If I could easily pull my recorded programs off of my DVR, that would be awesome. I wonder if there's anyone with sufficent coding talent, a GP2X, and dish network?

Well ,The file format is compatable. Mpeg 4 (Xvid) 720 x 576 Bit rate 800 with Mp3 sound at 30+k. Wmv is not supported by GP2X, but it should be configurable or MP3 set as Default.

Ive been downloading Irivers UK Dr Who shows from last season (Xvid x mp3-same resolution) and they've been playing without a hitch on my unit. The file sizes would be large 700-800 mb per hr but they should play w/hardware scaling.

The trick would involve hooking your dvr up to a BOB and using the Hardrive as an ext drive. I'd be interested to see how the units interface/plug in to the DVR. Ive been looking at my unit to see if this was feasable for a while now, but my DVR is first generation PVR from Dish network and I dont think it has an external out to connect to :( .

Thoughts / suggestions?

This would lend incredible functionality to the GP2X as a PMP.

<<<<UPDATE:

Looking over the "How to" faq from the Dish network site the unit plugs in to the DVR with a standard usb cable and uses a proprietary software "Browser" to move content to the unit.

Theoretically, if a BOB was connected to the PVR the GP2X should be able to navigate the HDD and move files circumventing the proprietary software which appears to simply automate the process. It would be the same as"connecting to a computer" in the FAQ.

Since the unit also supports MP3 and Pics from your computer I would think the file transfer protocols would be the same. We just need someone to give it a go with a BOB and see.....>>>>

But I could be missing something crucial. :huh:

Morpheus384 posted on Jul 22 2006 at 12:33 PM said:
Well ,The file format is compatable. Mpeg 4 (Xvid) 720 x 576 Bit rate 800 with Mp3 sound at 30+k. Wmv is not supported by GP2X, but it should be configurable or MP3 set as Default.

Ive been downloading Irivers UK Dr Who shows from last season (Xvid x mp3-same resolution) and they've been playing without a hitch on my unit. The file sizes would be large 700-800 mb per hr but they should play w/hardware scaling.

The trick would involve hooking your dvr up to a BOB and using the Hardrive as an ext drive. I'd be interested to see how the units interface/plug in to the DVR. Ive been looking at my unit to see if this was feasable for a while now, but my DVR is first generation PVR from Dish network and I dont think it has an external out to connect to :( .

Thoughts / suggestions?

This would lend incredible functionality to the GP2X as a PMP.

<<<<UPDATE:

Looking over the "How to" faq from the Dish network site the unit plugs in to the DVR with a standard usb cable and uses a proprietary software "Browser" to move content to the unit.

Theoretically, if a BOB was connected to the PVR the GP2X should be able to navigate the HDD and move files circumventing the proprietary software which appears to simply automate the process. It would be the same as"connecting to a computer" in the FAQ.

Since the unit also supports MP3 and Pics from your computer I would think the file transfer protocols would be the same. We just need someone to give it a go with a BOB and see.....>>>>

But I could be missing something crucial. :huh:

That would be so great if I could just plug in (thru a Bob of course) and get my saved shows. If that was the case I would gladly purchase a Bob (once a better looking version comes out) and at least 1 more 4GB SD card. Does anyone have a BOB and Dish that would be willing to give it a try?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using mythtv for several years now, and it has the capabilities to transcode saved programs (without commercials) to a format that is compatible with the GP2X. And since the GP2X is seen as a hard drive, or with a sd-card reader, I just transfer them and watch them later. With the dish network, you could still use mythtv and use your receiver as an external tuner, and do the same thing.

Back