Ram Mod Idea

Exo

Website
Visit site
I got this idea mainly from the old amiga hardware mods and the cobbleware ram mod.

To make ram upgrades accessible to less skilled persons or people not wanting to destory there gp32 make a plug and play version

This would involve using a small board with a socket that sits on top of the existing ram that would make contact with all the pins then the pins are wired into a second ram chip on the same board (i think there could just be enough room)

There should be second socket that is wired to the first board that sits on top of the cpu for the extra connections

In theory this should work as good as the solderd version

(just to give you an idea of the socket (cpu) its just one you would plug the ARM cpu into but you put it on the top insted give you access to all the pins without having to solder directly onto them)

I think this would also give you access to the usb host pins without having to solder directly to the cpu

I dont know if anyone has the time or resources to make one but it would be cool :D

maybe not such a cool Idea then ? I though if someone that could get hold of the parts could stand to make a bit of cash

ravuya yes it is solderd on but i didnt mean to unsolder it

Steve-o I think you can buy them as for the boards probably just need a acid etcher to make a board but you could maybe get away without having one if you solderd ram on top of the socket and placed it onto the ram :D

I include an image to explain a little better (note:example only)

http://www.ixbt.com/short/2k3-09/ali-4.jpg

See the Black chips they are ram
The brown sockets are for extra ram

if you had some spare brown sockets you could slot them on top of the ram already on the board giving you access to all those pins without having to do any soldering on the original ram

I was thinking of a simler thing with the Gp32 also It would require a larger one to slot over the cpu as I belive adding more ram required extra connections to be made between the ram and cpu

I doubt anyone will ever make one but I did think it was a cool idea B)

Coooool.... I think only one wire needs to be soldered to the CPU so thats easy to do without a over thing

Back