GP32 Usb Hard Drive On Your Gp32

aphexpusher

Still Fresh
they have these little mini usb hard drives available and I was wondering since the OS on the system is just standard windows or even a linux one is available couldnt you plug in a little mini hard drive into the usb port and then listen to MP3s and watch movies from the hard drive????? I mean I could just duckt tape that sucker to the back of the gp and use it as a portable media player and it would be less than a IPOD but it even plays freakin movies!!!! and GAMES!!! that would be awesome though seriously. why get a ipod when this is possible??? one concern of coarse is even if it is possible then.... the battery life comes into question deffinately.... I wonder what solutions there are for that situation... just carry a baggie of rechargable batteries I suppose!!! :lol:
anyways it was just an idea I had and if it is possible than I have my portable media solution definately. thanx for any help you guys can dish out. :ph34r: gp32_console

hmmm what if i found a hdd that supplied its own power (far fetched i know) but what if i did? could that work somehow????

damn it its just not possbile..... oh well.... just a pipe dream i suppose.... wonder if someone will somehow make the ideal media player.... I mean if this idea worked wouldnt it have been awesome???? maybe one day when they release bigger and better gp32s they will add a HDD function or feed power to usb.... WOULDNT IT BE AWESOME TO HAVE A 20GB HDD ON THE GP32????? :(

::cries::

a. the point of the gp32 is that it is a portable games console. if you want a 20 GB HDD on it, get a "lap top", it's this new kind of computer that weighs about the same but has a bigger screen and stuff. they're pretty cool

b. it's not possible, it's been discussed before. i'm guessing it would be far too slow to be useful anyway.

c. er...

There are some hard drive based mp3 players that let you transfer files from them onto SMCs, so you could just keep lots of movies on the mp3 player and transfer them to the GP32 to watch them. Unfortunately, the only player that I am sure does this is a very rare, massive thing called a Terrapin Mine or something.
There's also this thing:
syncbox_6.gif

It's called a Syncbox and it lets you plug any two USB mass storage things together and transfer files from one to the other, so theoretically it would work with any mp3 player. Have to look into it though.

IT is DEFINALITY possible.
the gp32 usb controlelr supports hostmode, more you dont need, you can connect any 5v power source to the right usb wires, no problem, soem guys allready have powered usb adapters. but at th moment there is no driver for hostmode deices, nd it will be a hard task to write one.
gp linux trys to integrate a usb host mode driver for the S3C2410 the very simmilar successor of the S3C2400X01 wich is used in the gp, maybe they will have succes someday.
But you wil not able to load standart fxe's from it (at least none that acces the smc) but maybe a sdk modifikation is possible so you can do a simple recompile.

aphexpusher posted on Aug 16 2004 at 05:27 PM said:
they have these little mini usb hard drives available and I was wondering since the OS on the system is just standard windows
you appear to have been confused by Wind-ups

wind ups is a file launcher no an OS, it has been made to look like Windows but it has nothing to do with windows im afraid

Last edited by a moderator:
mr twit posted on Aug 16 2004 at 06:00 PM said:
There are some hard drive based mp3 players that let you transfer files from them onto SMCs, so you could just keep lots of movies on the mp3 player and transfer them to the GP32 to watch them. Unfortunately, the only player that I am sure does this is a very rare, massive thing called a Terrapin Mine or something.
There's also this thing:
syncbox_6.gif

It's called a Syncbox and it lets you plug any two USB mass storage things together and transfer files from one to the other, so theoretically it would work with any mp3 player. Have to look into it though.

Think the iriver HP340/320 (MP3 hard disk player) may be capable as i know you can plug digital cameras and other usb devices straight into it and transfer files.

EDIT : think that would work actually remeber reading about it on the iriver community site as i have an HP140 (model down from above) and wanted to transfer my pictures when i was on holiday... but couldn't find one in the uk :(

skysnapper posted on Aug 16 2004 at 06:39 PM said:
Think the iriver HP340/320 (MP3 hard disk player) may be capable as i know you can plug digital cameras and other usb devices straight into it and transfer files.
There are quite a few mp3 players that have a feature like this, but unfortunately, the majority of them only let you transfer from the camera to the mp3 player, and not the other way round, so it wouldn't be much use for GP32. :(

Never heard of the syncbox before but seems like the best solution. The problem with those mp3 player/card readers or "photobanks" is that you can only transfer from card to hard drvie not the other way round. Tried the vosonic one a while ago and it was only one way (the wrong way). Will try the synbox this week. If you are in the uk try http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/p...products_id=252
£50 is a good deal and it should have many other uses.

EDIT: Found a similar cheaper option here http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=114066
£35 (inc delivery) is even better.

Just had a quick thought. These devices copy all data or one folder so after transfer we would need to do a lot of shifting around with windups. I'm not sure windups can even shift folders around.

EDIT2: PROBLEM!!! Windups can only copy files which means I need to find a new file manager that can copy and edit folders otherwise the syncbox and "pen drive 2 copy 2" (what a mouthful) is useless (for our needs).

evil_king posted on Aug 16 2004 at 07:27 PM said:
EDIT2: PROBLEM!!! Windups can only copy files which means I need to find a new file manager that can copy and edit folders otherwise the syncbox and "pen drive 2 copy 2" (what a mouthful) is useless (for our needs).
Why would you need to edit folders on the GP32? Surely all you'd need to do is edit folders on the mp3 player? I think it transfers a folder called SyncBox or PenDrive or whatever, so you would just need to have folders containing what you want to transfer on the mp3 player, then when you want to transfer it to the gp32, you rename one of the folders to SyncBox and it transfers it to the gp32?

Back