Pocket Fallout Port

Devilmandex

Still Fresh
Edit: to clarify things. If this was ported or even possible it would allow you to enjoy the fallout game. I remember a mod allowing fallout 2 to run on the original engine too so theoretically you could play both fallout 1 and 2.

I know it's a fallout engine optimized for small handhelds. most sites are in russian but there are english versions. I can't tell whether the source is open or not....

Edit. source code and information: http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl...ficial%26sa%3DG

Okay I don't mean to be an attention whore but is this actually possible to port? I read somewhere it uses SDL

I hope that some developer got interest in this, fallout 1 & 2 were awesome, and that engine could help to have those rpgs in our wizs

I saw somewhere someone had written an interpreter for the fallout media/scripts. I'm not sure where I saw it though. If that is open source, perhaps it could be ported. OR someone could write one specifically for the Wiz.

I assume your all talking about FIFE?

http://fifengine.de/

Last time I looked it was SDL based with optional dependencies on OpenGL and could use the Fallout 1 resources but it's much much more than just a Fallout 1 're-engine'.
I know it has been actively worked on for at least the last 3 years (it was about 2 years ago I looked at the code and a quick check today slows the last news update from the 13th July.

Devilmandex said:
That is very very cool! is it possible to port to the wiz?

They pretty much dropped the idea of making an open source engine for Fallout because they were going to run into Patent/IP issues so instead they are just making a generic game engine and you wont be able to play Fallout/2 on it. A massive shame really because I was looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enverex said:
Devilmandex said:

They pretty much dropped the idea of making an open source engine for Fallout because they were going to run into Patent/IP issues so instead they are just making a generic game engine and you wont be able to play Fallout/2 on it. A massive shame really because I was looking forward to it.
FIFE's source is open for download and it can run Fallout 1&2, so it is possible to port and have FO on WIZ/Pandora etc. I guess.

ati said:
Enverex said:
Devilmandex said:

FIFE's source is open for download and it can run Fallout 1&2, so it is possible to port and have FO on WIZ/Pandora etc. I guess.

Are you sure it's completed? Last time I checked it wasn't anywhere near able to play the games properly (or do more than load level maps). Am I missing something, do you have links to the contrary?

To quote their own FAQ: No and probably never - http://wiki.fifengine.de/Frequently_answered_questions#Playing_Fallout_by_using_FIFE.3F

What were the requirements for those games? Remember the Pandora, without a good dynarec only clocks in on DOSBox as a decent 386, the Wiz likely has no chance, I'm guessing those games wanted a Pentium of some sort. I'd look it up but I'm on my phone.

Enverex said:
What were the requirements for those games? Remember the Pandora, without a good dynarec only clocks in on DOSBox as a decent 386, the Wiz likely has no chance, I'm guessing those games wanted a Pentium of some sort. I'd look it up but I'm on my phone.

System requirements

All
10+ MB free space, mouse[2]
DOS
Pentium 90 MHz, 32 MB RAM, 2x CD-ROM, SVGA, SoundBlaster-compatible sound card.
Win
Pentium 90 MHz, 16 MB RAM, DirectX 3.0a or 5.0, 2x CD-ROM, SVGA, DirectSound-compatible sound card.
Mac
PowerMac, 16 MB RAM, CD-ROM, System 7.1.2.

Yeah, unless someone codes a godly dynarec for x86 code then it's not going to happen on any current ARM platform. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Back