Please Select The Date.

emcee

I was having problems with my wifi earlier and just gave up on trying to fix it and reflashed the firmware. I bought my Pandora used, so when I first got it I also reflash the firm firmware, and I used the same image this time.

The flashing process finished and the system rebooted into the setup wizard. Everything went fine until after I selected my time zone. Then I got an error that said "Please select the date.", with an OK button. I hit OK. The same error just pops back up, and there's no other options. The error also just pops back up on it's own every few seconds like I'm hitting the OK button (or pressing enter), even though I'm not.

All I could do was restart and try again. So I start the wizard over, choosing a different user name this time, since my other one is now taken, I choose my time zone and hit OK. "Please select the date.".

So I shut it down and reflash. I go through the wizard, choose my time zone and hit OK. "Please select the date.".

Honestly, I have nothing against selecting the date. I would love to select the date.

It seems like maybe a key is stuck, but I don't know which one or why it doesn't effect any of the previous menus in the wizard.

EDIT:

OK, I've fixed it. I just had to leave the battery out for an a while. Feel free to close this thread.

I just went into XFCE to try and update my time/date because it doesn't keep up.
I set my timezone and the same issue happened to me. Select the Date, only way I could get it to go away was with a ReStart. Pandora button wouldn't allow me to kill Zenity and I believe that is what is causing this issue.

Anyone else?

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Mjlink said:
I just went into XFCE to try and update my time/date because it doesn't keep up.
I set my timezone and the same issue happened to me. Select the Date, only way I could get it to go away was with a ReStart. Pandora button wouldn't allow me to kill Zenity and I believe that is what is causing this issue.

Anyone else?

Peace & Pandora,

Link

You have the same problem with the time not staying right? Thought it was just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
paulguy said:
Mjlink said:

You have the same problem with the time not staying right? Thought it was just me.

Hi, I'm having this issue as well...strange stuff.

I tried to copy the latest tarball to a 4GB card I got last night and this happened to me as well. The dialog is supposed to have a calendar on it so you can choose a date, but the calendar isn't appearing. It's definitely a Zenity, GTK, or XFCE4 issue.

I've just developed this issue, oddly...

i sometimes loose time on the clock, this appears to be related to having the pandora turned on with the lid closed.

after having the issue this time around i tried to change the time, only to get the "you must select a date" popup after selecting a timezone. this is the first time this has happened though i have lost time before and managed to change it via the same means.

leaving the battery out for 5 minutes or so did not resolve the issue

oddly i tried a reflash and am now stuck in the same loop!

am going to drop the battery for a while and see what happens.

most odd

I eventually had to edit the script on my PC and comment out the date setting part in order to complete the wizard.

Yesterday I noticed that the time was off by 1 hour (lost an hour very recently because I reflashed about a week ago and I set it right then).

When I tried to change it last night it got stuck in the loop as mentioned above and I had to do a hard reset. Guess I'll just stay with the wrong time.

Odd thing is that I have set the time before (1 when I got my Pandora and 2 after reflashing, and have the feeling that this problem only started recently. Maybe hotfix 3 is the culprit?

Has anyone figured this out? If I try to set the time I get caught in the Please select the date loop.

Code:
10 PRINT "Please select the date."
20 GOTO 10

I have to reboot to get rid of it.

I guess noone looked at the script yet. I can reproduce it (and kill it from a terminal) but it is clearly something to do with the current date value passed to Zenity

Edit: to fix it, edit /usr/pandora/scripts/op_datetime.sh to include this
Code:
#Make sure we clean up any leading zeros in the day (as Zenity freaks out)
date_d=`date +%d | sed 's/^0//'`
date_m=`date +%m | sed 's/^0//`
date_y=`date +%Y`
where the date line is the one which needs to change

Implemented in the GIT. Will be fixed with next hotfix and next firmware image :)

EvilDragon said:

Implemented in the GIT. Will be fixed with next hotfix and next firmware image :)
So how do I set the date and time until the fix gets pushed?

emcee said:
I was having problems with my wifi earlier and just gave up on trying to fix it and reflashed the firmware. I bought my Pandora used, so when I first got it I also reflash the firm firmware, and I used the same image this time.

Just counting up the tally on this one:

I finally got the unit to boot up after the disastrous "discharge test" incident and I had the same Wi-Fi issue you did, and decided that perhaps my selection of a hostname with a space in it was the problem (seems there's no validation on the hostname during setup!), but I couldn't find a handy way to update the hostname, so what the heck, I thought: just re-flash again.

After re-flashing, I have exactly the same problem described herein.

wont let me edit the file. Any weird linux command I need to use on this?

try:

sudo mousepad /usr/pandora/scripts/op_datetime.sh

Thats the stuff!

Thanks Pleng and tsh.

Works perfectly.

labelreader said:
I have exactly the same problem described herein.
I am confident to say that if you run the setup script this month, it is likely to go wrong. It is dependant on the current time, not any system variation.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!

I drop the battery for a whole night and it didn't work.....

finally edit the .sh and success

Yay! That worked, thanks! Ah, linux...you're never as screwed as you think you are. :)

EDIT: Nevermind...due to some other issues I've been having, I tried a reflash...and now I can't set the date again. Sigh...Pandora's own Y2K bug. :)

EDIT 2: Nevermind...reflashed without the battery in, edited the script, now I'm good!

Back