Please Select The Date.

i've tried to reflash (to have freesh root image installed) and i've encountered this nauty "date" loop bug. Finally removing the battery worked for me. I haven't seen any method to edit the buggy shell script file, when the pandora boot it didn't give me any chance to edit a file nor to launch a terminal (even using Alt-Fx keys). Is there a way to have a terminal during the boot process ?

I've got this problem now .. after trying out the beta for HF #4 (it borked my machine) I then tried to re-install the flash image and start again - now I'm stuck in this infinite "Please select the date" loop .. how do we fix this again? I tried to get a terminal, but its not possible, it seems ..

Going to try to leave the battery out for a while and see if that fixes it somehow, though I confess I don't understand how it will.

You can change the RTC date by booting from SD (and you can avoid the first-run by touching the relevant flag file).
Pick a date with 2 digit day and month, re-flash the nand, fix the script (note HF4beta1 has a bad fixed version), and finally set the date right.
I fail to understand how leaving the battery out can work too - but if it does the job, don't knock it!

If anyone else can confirm that it does work, I'll add it to the Tweaks Thread. :p

I left my battery out for 10 minutes, and then was able to re-flash and re-do the wizard setup .. I guess todays dates (with 0's, like 09082010) is causing the problem ..

And no, I could not figure out any way to sudo anything .. no way to get to a terminal when you're in the middle of the setup wizard. Prometheus I would suggest that you add the "if todays date has a zero in it, remove the battery for 10 minutes" trick to the tweaks thread - my guess is that this resets the RTC with a sensible date, or something, which doesn't trip up the bug in the wizard code.

I guess ED fixed this in the latest Hotfix #4, but we'll see .. from my side, I've managed to get everything back in shape again by re-flashing after having the battery removed for 10 minutes.

for those like me who wondered how to have a shell prompt just after entering in this "infernal loop", then i've found the tip on the pandora wiki

http://pandorawiki.org/Introduction_to_firmware :
create a boot.txt at the root of your SD with :
Code:
setenv bootargs ubi.mtd=4 ubi.mtd=3 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs rw rootflags=bulk_read console=tty0 vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K init=/bin/bash
ubi part boot && ubifsmount boot && ubifsload 0x80300000 uImage && bootm 0x80300000 && boot

Probably stupid question but can't find any clue on the board.
How could I enter a colon in bash (I've created "terminal only" boot.txt following instructions at wiki). Fn + '.' doesn't work for me. At the moment I'm seriously stuck in vim :(

ED, could you maybe fix the script in the current HF 3 image, that we can flash the firmware without any hackery until HF 4 is released? Shouldn't be that hard to do and saves a lot of people the trouble to mess around with the scripts.

Well had success with the battery out method. If this doesn't work for you, try to flip the powerswitch several times, when the battery is out and put it in again. Did work for me.

Having the same problem after flashing the firmware trying the battery thing

this linux terminal stuff is above my head and i have no idea how to do that stuff

mcobit said:
ED, could you maybe fix the script in the current HF 3 image, that we can flash the firmware without any hackery until HF 4 is released? Shouldn't be that hard to do and saves a lot of people the trouble to mess around with the scripts.

Final beta of HF4 will be out tonight. If nobody has any problems, the downloadable image will also be HF4 soon.

Problem is, that I cannot easily exchange scripts in an UBIFS image.

roberthoward45 said:
Having the same problem after flashing the firmware trying the battery thing

this linux terminal stuff is above my head and i have no idea how to do that stuff

Then simply remove the battery for a while :)

Last edited:
I don't know if there is any chance of making this hotfix... but... Would it be possible to make a screen locked dialogue appear after resuming from the power save switch - to type in the password?

I must state that the password feature is probably the only reason I got my Pandora back from the thief that stole it, so it really should be something that is requested(if the option for this is activated)

PokeParadox said:
I don't know if there is any chance of making this hotfix... but... Would it be possible to make a screen locked dialogue appear after resuming from the power save switch - to type in the password?

Not in this hotfix, that's already fixed.
But I already have plans for the next one, so... :D

Last edited:
ED, would that fix the Lock/Logout button you can add to the panel, too, by any chance? :p

tried the battery trick a few times

even tried re flashing the firmware with the earliest version i could find but no luck

it still says "please select the date"

i will try the battery again in the morning

It can take a loooooooooong time sometimes, I think. I had my battery out for half an hour and it was still having the problem. I left the battery out for several hours and reflashed the firmware, then it worked.
On the one hand, this suggests whatever keeps the RTC ticking is able to do so for at least a few minutes, if not a few hours after the battery is pulled. On the other hand, it does mean it takes a while to actually reset it.

still no luck i left the battery out overnight tried it multiple times but it still asks please select the date
i have already flashed the firmware 3 times trying to fix it (twice with the most recent once with the oldest)
it wont go away...

any other suggestions are welcome thanks for the help... i will keep trying the battery thing

The only thing left is to wait until a HF4 image is available with the fix built into it, I think.

WizardStan said:
The only thing left is to wait until a HF4 image is available with the fix built into it, I think.

It is available on http://openpandora.org/firmware

Latest image from yesterday, works fine :)

There is some instructions in the pandora-flashkit-zipfile, if you need any help how to properly do it, let me know.

You need to flash the kernel and the image.

Last edited:
Back