Please Help

Mighty_Max

Still Fresh
Hi guys, sorry, I'm really rather worried here. I've had my GP since Christmas, and I've never had any trouble with it. I've flashed once with a multifirmware, and apart from coming up with the occasional BIOS error when I run certain apps it's been fine.

However, I was experimenting with the GBAX2004 entries ealier today and I was testing my winamp skin collection in gpamp. It was all going fine until I opened one skin and the GP crashed out on me. When I turned it back on, just a blank Windups desktop appeared. Slightly worried I took the SMC out and put it back in again, but the same thing happened. I checked pacrom and the original "fw157e++" firmware, but neither could detect the SMC. I ran an SMC recover through the original firmware, but that didn't help either. Annoyed, I put the SMC into my card reader and checked it out. It appeared corrupt so, relieved, I formatted it and put all the neccesary files back on the card. Glad that I'd solved the problem, I placed the SMC back into the GP and switched it on...

But the problem still persists. The GP still can't read the card. The card does appear slightly scratched around the gold area it reads from, but the card reader can read it fine. I'm really starting to get worried here, I don't want a broken GP32. :unsure:

Is this a common problem that is easily fixable, per chance? I've tried replacing the batteries, but that didn't help, and I don't have another SMC to test in the GP32. If anybody can help solve this problem, I'd really appreciate it. :ph34r:

I'd try using pc-link to format it, everytime my smc has messed up (twice, once with each gp32) I used pc-link to format or gpmanager and it worked for me so... just give it a try.

if you formtted in windows, you need to reformat it using gp32 software. I had a similar problem and it scared the jeebus out of me!

Yes! :D

Thanks so much guys, formatting through PC-Link worked a treat! Now all I need to do is go away and work out why on earth I didn't work it out for myself. :ph34r:

I'm bored (abosloutley exhausted from work so i can't be bothered to do anything better) so i just thought i'd nit pick in the hope someone will listen.

Mighty_Max please put it in the 'I Need Help' folder not 'general'

Don't sweat it, this community will usually help you through the stupidest of newb mistakes :) I know I've been saved by others a couple times!

Just glad you got it working again :)

I found something fun to do. Now i am much more upbeat. Newbie mistakes, don't sweat it. In the end you'll use the community less and less for help as you'll figure your problems for yourself.

P.S. Look at my signature.
P.P.S. It's not real....DUH
P.P.P.S. If you thought it was real, than....... please continue sending the cheque.....(tries to conceal laughing)

Back