Play-asia Or Gp2x.co.uk?

PoisonedV

Yeah, I'm a GIRL gamer, what of it?
Website
Visit site
Well I screwed up my gp so I have to buy a new one, and the question is where? It's going to be play-Asia or gp2x.co.uk. The main qualm I have over deciding is overclocking power. Gp2x uk store says it only goes up to 240, while playasia doesn't even state what it goes up to. Generally, is overclocking really that important, and should I spend some extra money to take a gamble for a better processor?

The cpu is rated at 200mhz but all are known to reach at least 240mhz, often higher (gp2x.co.uk doesn't say it only goes up to 240mhz, they say it is capable of running at 240mhz).

They are the same type of units, even if play-asia dont mention overclocking. Some units can clock higher than others. I ordered my Value Pack from play-asia and strongly recommend them.

Play-Asia have terrible returns / exchange procedures. I would stay away from them. dynamism.com is where I got my last one.
I have had to resort to using my credit card company to get my money back on a defective unit that I would have taken an exchange if they moved quicker.

PoisonedV said:
Well I screwed up my gp so I have to buy a new one, and the question is where? It's going to be play-Asia or gp2x.co.uk. The main qualm I have over deciding is overclocking power. Gp2x uk store says it only goes up to 240, while playasia doesn't even state what it goes up to. Generally, is overclocking really that important, and should I spend some extra money to take a gamble for a better processor?
What happened to the old one? Is there anything left, do you want to sell it, or parts of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
gatorpal said:
Play-Asia have terrible returns / exchange procedures. I would stay away from them. dynamism.com is where I got my last one.
I have had to resort to using my credit card company to get my money back on a defective unit that I would have taken an exchange if they moved quicker.
That's a load of bullshit, i've returned a couple things to them and never had any problems what so ever. Even when i complained to them that my psp had a dead pixel they gave me 2 free games to compensate for this. Granted i got my psp when they first ever came out so they wanted to keep everything sweet but still it's 2 games they didnt have to give me, infact they didnt have to do anything.

I'd say go with play-asia, if i wasnt so impatient i would have got mine from them, however i couldnt be bothered waiting a few extra days so i got mine from gp2x.co.uk at more cost too. I'd say definately go with play-asia if you dont mind waiting a few extra days for it, you'll save enough money to buy a 4GB SD card and a power supply for mains power. :p

er, play asia costs over 200 dollars when ordered with the least shipping. gp2x.co.uk costs 154 dollars (to the us btw). So, most likely it shouldn't have been more cost.
nubie: well unfortunately it got stolen yesterday morning (would love to see the face of him when he finds out its not a psp, lol) otherwise I would've "donated it to science" so to speak

PoisonedV said:
er, play asia costs over 200 dollars when ordered with the least shipping. gp2x.co.uk costs 154 dollars (to the us btw). So, most likely it shouldn't have been more cost.
Aah you should have said you were American. Your currency is super weak compared to mine, thats why it is far cheaper for me to buy things in $US, but obviously not for you, nevermind then :)

Wow sorry I should've thought about that. Seeing as how majority of the memberes come from different countries than north america anyway...

PoisonedV said:
Wow sorry I should've thought about that. Seeing as how majority of the memberes come from different countries than north america anyway...
It's easily done so dont worry :p

I just did some checking for you. Buying from gp2x.co.uk with UPS shipping works out to £131.36 which is $259.41 using www.xe.com/ucc.

Buying the same value pack from play-asia using UPS for shipping again comes to only $214.70. So im not sure when you were checking the prices but it may well be worth checking again. :)

Thats shipping to USA, so play asia does work out cheaper for you even. Anyway it's up to you really, but why pay more for the exact same product ;)

EDIT: Fixed broken link.

Well, I'm using minimum shipping so it still works out to 115.37 EUR

=

154.929 USD

Sorry for the double post, but I need some feedback.

I think when I add the Gp2X to my cart on Gp2x.co.uk it isn't the value pack, cause its only 109 euros... How do I know whether its jsut the mk2 or the value pack?

There's no way you'd be getting one for that cheap...
It specifically says on gp2x.co.uk: $ 189.99 (Outside Europe)

So yeah... also I think they only sell the 'value pack' these days.

PoisonedV said:
Well, I'm using minimum shipping so it still works out to 115.37 EUR

=

154.929 USD
£ is pounds. € is euros, gp2x.co.uk shows the prices as pounds. You've been working it out using the wrong currency :p So the €115.37 you quoted is actually £115.37 and that works out to $228.19 ;)

You wouldnt be the first American i've met who doesnt know the differance between the fancy L of the £ sign and the E of the € sign. But you should really watch out for it more carefully else you will be stung paying almost 50% extra as £'s are about 50% stronger than €'s.

Yorper said:
gatorpal said:
Play-Asia have terrible returns / exchange procedures.
That's a load of bullshit

Uhh, no its not. Their returns policy is terrible. I waited 2 months for them to replace my faulty unit, and in the end demanded a refund and reordered from gp2x.co.uk. That was December '06. If my unit worked, I would have thought they were great, but since this happened, I wouldn't use them again, ever.

cHEM said:
Uhh, no its not. Their returns policy is terrible. I waited 2 months for them to replace my faulty unit, and in the end demanded a refund and reordered from gp2x.co.uk. That was December '06. If my unit worked, I would have thought they were great, but since this happened, I wouldn't use them again, ever.
Well hush my mouth, thats definative proof then. Two people have a bad experiance, they must be rogue traders then. Lets forget all about the thousands of people that have had a breeze when it comes to returns with them shall we :rolleyes: You don't write off a company from 1 bad experiance, hell if that was the case microsoft would be long long gone into the annals of history ;)

No web based company is perfect, they all have problems now and again, there will always be a small minority that experiances problems when buying online, we all know its the risk you take. The majority however have no problems what so ever. Sorry you had a bad experiance with them, but the for few years (about 4 years give or take a little) i've been dealing with them i've experianced nothing but trading bliss :)

Yorper said:
Well hush my mouth, thats definative proof then. Two people have a bad experiance, they must be rogue traders then. Lets forget all about the thousands of people that blah blah
Your bad experience was with a problem PSP. did you return the unit?

My problem was with a GP2X. returns policy with these devices is:

Buyer Returns unit to PO Box
Play-asia collect from PO Box once a week (so, say, already potentially a 5 day delay, on top of time taken to arrive)
Play-Asia then have to test the device to prove faulty (this took 3 weeks in my case. 3 weeks, to plug in an SD card and turn it on!)
Play-Asia then have to contact the manufacturer. this took another week and a half. To pick up the phone.
Play-Asia then inform me that they will have to return the unit to the manufactirer to get it repared. I am not offered a replacement (although I have been requesting one from the off-set).
At this point I demand a refund. I could have potentially been waiting another month, EASILY.

Sure, as I stated, if the unit had worked from the start, as I'm sure most do, I'd be happy as a goat. As it is, it didn't, there was a known bad batch, and I got fucked about. I'm sure if ordering something a bit more "mainstream", a Wii or a PSP, their returns policy may be a little more acceptable, but in this case, it wasn't.

Back