Plans For Utilizing The Dsp?

zevdawg said:
fusion_power said:
Sounds like TI does alot for the new OMAP4. But what did they actualy do for the OMAP3 to make the life of coders easier? Easy Access of the DSP for example 'n stuff?
For me it still sounds like TI does all the nice hardware but forget to make the propper software (drivers...) for it. :unsure:

3 redundant words will answer this:
"Developers, Developers, Developers!"

No, but in all seriousness - it's a 'hobbyist' device, after all.

Good example, I think should also play key here:
An R/C kit isn't ever pre-assembled (a 'real' one, where everything's built from the ground up). Everything from the body (decals, paint), tires (and rims), and even engine (whether that be gas or electric - both have advantages and disadvantages) are up to the person building it.

Same goes for this hardware (more or less)- but it's up to developers to make it work. TI has supplied the "model kit", it's up to OP and the community to make the most out of it.

I think Gundam Models or Model Trains might have been a better analogy. Here where I live, the average person only thinks pre-assembled when they hear the term R/C.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
Sounds like TI does alot for the new OMAP4. But what did they actualy do for the OMAP3 to make the life of coders easier? Easy Access of the DSP for example 'n stuff?
For me it still sounds like TI does all the nice hardware but forget to make the propper software (drivers...) for it. :unsure:

Please do read the first part of the thread. DSP/Link (which supports many other platforms other than OMAP3) and the DSP bridge (which was initially targeted at only OMAP3 but will also grow to support OMAP4) are both TI projects. Both of them make the life of coders much, much easier than it would have been otherwise.

And I'd not call OMAP3 a "hobbyist device". TI has many paying customers working with them (word has it that iPhone 3GS contains an OMAP34xx), and AFAIK this is the reason why the DSP-side sources for DSP bridge are closed (people were willing to pay for it).

It's likely that syslink will also work with OMAP3 devices, among other older ones, though this is mostly my guess and not based on solid references.

fusion_power said:
I think that TI changed the way they do things late in OMAP3 dev cycle, they are now much more open than they used to be; they've always done software for their chips, some of them being of very high quality, but they were for customers only.

Maltanar said:
fusion_power said:

Please do read the first part of the thread. DSP/Link (which supports many other platforms other than OMAP3) and the DSP bridge (which was initially targeted at only OMAP3 but will also grow to support OMAP4) are both TI projects. Both of them make the life of coders much, much easier than it would have been otherwise.

And I'd not call OMAP3 a "hobbyist device". TI has many paying customers working with them (word has it that iPhone 3GS contains an OMAP34xx), and AFAIK this is the reason why the DSP-side sources for DSP bridge are closed (people were willing to pay for it).

It's likely that syslink will also work with OMAP3 devices, among other older ones, though this is mostly my guess and not based on solid references.

IIRC the iPhone 3GS does not actually contain an OMAP SoC, but does contain an ARM Cortex A8. The Palm Pre, however, does contain an OMAP 3430.

-God Ginrai

Back