/dev/dsp

sepulep

Hi there,

I was fooling around compiling linphone and its dependencies - got something working as in compiles, starts and also can connect (chat works), now you guessed it from the topic title: no sound alas. I had to disable alsa for linphone, but the /dev/dsp shows up and should work; now my questions:

- am I forgetting something? should I set volume levels or something on /dev/dsp?
- from the GPH SDK it seems that alsa (libasound, and also a few other libraries) are there in the sys-root of the SDK, but in fact they are not there on the console; is this ok? or is my
firmware broken?

GPH Simon say me /dev/dsp dont work on Caanoo so take a look in the DGE files in GPH SDK
or use SDL.

Rikku2000 said:
GPH Simon say me /dev/dsp dont work on Caanoo so take a look in the DGE files in GPH SDK
or use SDL.

*shrugs* I compiled the test program from here which reads from & writes to /dev/dsp and tested it on the CAANOO - seemed to work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm okey then i am sorry but i ask Simon who i can handle the volume and it dont work over dev/dsp...

Rikku2000 said:
hmm okey then i am sorry but i ask Simon who i can handle the volume and it dont work over dev/dsp...

volume you use /dev/mixer

Code:
    unsigned long soundDev = open("/dev/mixer", O_RDWR);
    if(soundDev)
    {
        int vol = ((volume << 8) | volume);
        ioctl(soundDev, SOUND_MIXER_WRITE_PCM, &vol);
        close(soundDev);
    }

oh thanks but pickle why quake dont run with the snd_linux? becouse it use dev/dsp but it dont want start?

you use in caanoo quake the snd_sdl.c but there is an snd_linux.c too that use the dev/dsp but with this quake crash...

phungp said:
Rikku2000 said:
or use SDL.

*shrugs* I compiled the test program from here which reads from & writes to /dev/dsp and tested it on the CAANOO - seemed to work fine.

I tested the example and it sort of works (not for all parameters, seems that 22050 or 44100, 16 bit, 2 channel is best - and if it works there seems to be some kind of feedback because I get very loud noise after a few repeats)...

sepulep said:
phungp said:
Rikku2000 said:
or use SDL.

I tested the example and it sort of works (not for all parameters, seems that 22050 or 44100, 16 bit, 2 channel is best - and if it works there seems to be some kind of feedback because I get very loud noise after a few repeats)...

I'm using /dev/dsp & /dev/mixer with LittleGPTracker and had no problem whatsoever. It uses Indeed 44100/16bit/Stereo. It's 100% the GP2X driver I wrote derived from some work from squidge (If I recall properly). If anybody's interested, I can post it.

Regards,
/M

Back