Free TI tools for DSP programming here!

doragasu

I hope these are useful for devs:

C6Flo

C6Run

C6Accel

The most interesting from my ignorant point of view is C6Run:

Texas Instruments' C6Run Software Development Tool is designed for users of TI’s heterogeneous system-on-chip processors, which contain both an ARM core and a TMS320C6000™ DSP core. The C6Run tool enables the user to compile code for the DSP of a supported platform without having to learn any new programming languages, system interfaces or other TI-specific technologies. Using this tool, ARM programmers will find it easy to differentiate and improve the performance of their products by leveraging the C6000 DSP, with little or no changes to application code. C6Run provides front-end build scripts that provide a familiar command-line interface and that hide many of the details of building code for the C6000™ DSP core.

The first set of the front-end tools, called c6runlib, consists of a compiler and archiver script that lets the user compile portable C code and generate an ARM-side static library. This library can then be linked with an ARM application; all of the function calls into that library actually take place on the C6000 DSP core. Essentially, the tool automatically generates a remote procedure call framework for the library functions.

The second of the these front-end tools, called c6runapp, lets the user recompile their entire application, written in portable C, so that it executes on the C6000 DSP core when run from the ARM command prompt.

Maybe this can be used to easily compile audio/video codecs, filters, etc. to run in the DSP.

What do you think of these tools? Are they useful? I hope somebody starts using the DSP soon (I'd love to see 800x480 AVC+AAC playback on my Pandora).

I got this email as well but unfortunately this is all useless until we move up to a less ancient kernel. At the moment the DSP is not accessible at all.

I believe notaz is one of the only people working on the kernel at the moment and that's no small task. I'm getting a development environment set up to try and help out, but I'm certainly no kernel dev.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for feedback.

I hope they can get the DSP working soon. It would be nice to have a DSP-accelerated mplayer for example.

Also I'd like to ask a pandora-kernel-newbie question: Why are there so much problems getting newer kernels to work on the Pandora? AFAIK Beagleboard core hardware is almost the same and DSP support for BB has been working for ages.

Back