Planning The Arrival Of My Gp2x

TDT

Hello all,

I recently ordered my GP2X, and it's just being shipped (yesterday and/or today) so I'm looking at making sure i have the accessories I need before receiving it.

To start, here's my objective of this machine. I'd like to use it for emulation purposes, such as playing NES/SNES/etc games on the television, with a USB retrozone controller connected. I purchased both the main unit, and the docking station.

My first question comes with the docking station. I contacted support with the question, if I connect power to the docking station will it power the device. From my understanding of the reply, it sounds like it doesn't - but this doesn't sound right. Docking stations of all sorts power the units that are connected to it - and shouldn't this one as well?

The second question kinda hinges off the first. I'd like to be able to power the unit while it's connected to the TV so that I don't need to deal with the batteries over a longer time. I looked at the following wiki page, which was very helpful:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/External_power_supply

My confusion had to deal with the whole "negative polarity" change on the 3rd party power adapters (unfortunately the store is out of the official power adapters). I was thinking of getting the Radio Shack - Digital Camera Power Adapter version, because it can supply 5 volts for the dock. The polarity change is what confused me on this. I really only want a power adapter when I'm having this connected to the dock (assuming the dock can power the device) so that's where my scope is at.

I appreciate any pointers anyone can give for me on this. I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery, and am trying to prepare accordingly ahead of time (getting the SD setup, batteries ready and charged, etc)

Hi and welcome. :)

Unfortunately it's true, the cradle doesn't power the GP2X. The GP2X does supply the cradle though - so if you're just using TV out and a USB controller, it's not necessary to use the cradle's p/s. This will drain your batteries though, so if you've got the cradle p/s, all the better.

As for the GP2X p/s, check these threads:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43453

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43403 (post #11)

(I think I must have been one of the last people in the world to get an official plug pack!)

... USB retrozone controller...
Nice. Did you DIY or get one of the premade ones? I'm thinking about getting the DIY kit to put in one of these:

[edit] I've been inspired, just bought the DIY kit. :D

[edit #2] Thought I'd link you to a handy thread, just in case. You might have trouble inserting your GP2X into the cradle when you get it. Or, you might not. But if you do, read this thread, post #16 in particular. Don't worry, you'll grow to love the GPH design flaws, I promise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Gruso for the quick and thorough reply.

I appreciate the confirmation about the dock - and while not ideal for my situation, I will work around it. To query about that though - the only things I plan to connect to the dock will be the controller and TV out (as you already guessed). I was curious, if I have power connected to the unit itself, will it be sufficient to also power at least that much of the dock for now? I may need a dedicated PSU for the dock, if I wanted to use USB keychains or something like that for moving data around.

For the retrozone, I decided to grab the adapter plug, through the following links:
http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?productID=116
http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?productID=118

I figured that this was the best option, so that if I wore out a controller that I could just connect another to the converter. Granted...I owned these controllers for since the NES came out and have a lot of hours logged - yet they are fine even now :)

Thank you for the links about the dock and the connection problems. The resolution doesn't sound too hard to accomplish - so I will be prepared to make the fix once I receive the dock.

Kinda back to the power connector, and I apologize for the questions. I checked the site for the masterplug, and that plugin sounds like it'll do the trick nicely - although since I live in the U.S. obtaining one is a bit harder. I googled for this plug to see if I could find a vendor in the states that sold one, but haven't found one. I read both of those threads and it mostly makes sense. From my understanding, basically the plug needs to be rotated. It may help for me to just get my hands on one first, but am I generally understanding this as:
1. Buy connector
2. Take plug and align the word "tip" with the -ve on the connector (taken from the wiki, I'm assuming you plug it in, then turn it so that these two words - one on the wire and one on the plug align together)

I read that it's easy to fry the unit plugging it in incorrectly - that's why I'm so curious.

Thank you again for all the help, and the warm welcome to the forums.

TDT said:
I checked the site for the masterplug, and that plugin sounds like it'll do the trick nicely
Masterplug is the adaptor to use. I have 2 of them to power the GP2X and the cradle. It's a little annoying that the cradle doesn't power the two together and to need 3 plug sockets (Including the TV) to play on the big screen. :angry:

Tag5 said:
TDT said:
I checked the site for the masterplug, and that plugin sounds like it'll do the trick nicely
Masterplug is the adaptor to use. I have 2 of them to power the GP2X and the cradle. It's a little annoying that the cradle doesn't power the two together and to need 3 plug sockets (Including the TV) to play on the big screen. :angry:

Thanks tag,

Unfortunately after checking some more web sites it looks like this is only available overseas. I prefer not to pay a very large amount for the power supply (which it'd cost given the dollar rate in the U.S.).

I think I'm still going to go with the one from Radio Shack as that seems to work fairly well according to the wiki. I will double check stats before I buy it, and somehow just need to figure out the plug rotation thing. I wish the wiki was better documented with that, maybe I can find a youtube video later about it.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Hope this helps.

PolaritySel.gif

Trooper

trooper said:
Hope this helps.

Trooper
Thanks for the image, that helps a lot actually.

I just received my device yesterday, and am extremely happy with it so far. The warnings about there being design flaws were definitely true. Bright blue light, loud startup (hold volume down to go with no sound), and rubber covers that...well..are too thick and don't cover very well. Those are the ones I came up with so far, well..except a few emulation troubles but working on those independently.

I haven't tried out the dock yet, so I don't know how that'll work so far. Also need to setup the power adapter yet. I think yesterday was pure just open it up, plug in batteries, put in my SD card (configured it heavily beforehand) and play. Was an awesome night...haha.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Back