Planet Computers : Gemini - Psion Returns

Ended up buying an LG v20 for $200. Pretty great phone. Also bought the 8bitdo keychain pad and a case with included stand. Portable gaming on the phone...if i wanted

Quick update: They will be available at my shop in a few weeks.

That's cool.
Maybe I'll get one.
Don't know how long it will take until I can use the Pyra as my main Phone without anything else.
And maybe I don't even want it to be always on and drain Battery.

My current phone is great but Blackberry locks the bootloader and I can not remove Google software.
It's disabled but Apps begin to complain I should update google services. However my phone won't do that even when enabling the.
So I'm pissed by the locked phone and might get an other one.
(Mabe not, as it's expensive and the old one does the job :p)

This is a pretty big deal.
https://blog.jolla.com/gemini/

Now I'm going to have to find time to load it up. If @EvilDragon were selling these already I would be tempted to buy and run an entirely 2nd device so I don't disturb the existing Android install (needed for work).

ED - how soon will you have stock?

Planet Computer also stated that their Debian image was updated and that it now runs much better. I would really appreciate a test of it :)

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Planet Computer also stated that their Debian image was updated and that it now runs much better. I would really appreciate a test of it :)

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

That is all happening over on the OESF boards.
Code:
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showforum=192

There is also the developers forum - with hardly anything going on:
Code:
https://developer.planetcom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4

I got my Gemini last weekend. I installed Debian right away and have not used Android since. The system works very well for what I want which is running Emacs with org mode for agenda and note taking.

The system is probably a bit too rough for general use and some things are still missing including graphics acceleration and mobile phone functionality.

But the keyboard is fantastic!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Just curious, do you have to choose one operating system or can you install Android and Debian at the same time and boot to whatever you need currently?

The system works very well for what I want which is running Emacs with org mode for agenda and note taking.
Hmmm....that's my primary application for the Pyra (I am not saying that I do not care about the other things I can do with it, obviously I do).

Just curious, do you have to choose one operating system or can you install Android and Debian at the same time and boot to whatever you need currently?
You can have at least three systems installed, out of Android, rooted Android, Debian Linux, and Sailfish. Although I only intend to use Debian, I installed both Android and Debian just to cover my bases.

Hmmm....that's my primary application for the Pyra (I am not saying that I do not care about the other things I can do with it, obviously I do).
This is what I have been using my Pandora for during the past few years. I am likely to get a Pyra in due course as well as it's more open but got the Gemini as a stop-gap. The Pandora was starting to struggle and I couldn't wait.

I am still a bit on the fence about the Gemini. It looks like a great device but it covers fewer of my use-cases than the Pyra does. It also does not really add any use cases that I care about which the Pyra cannot do.

Its main advantage is that it is available.

I agree. But I got impatient!

The one thing I know I am going to miss the most on the Gemini is the inaccessible battery. There are also many less ports and slots. But it'll do for now.

The main disadvantage of the Gemini is (in my opinion) it's non backlit keyboard.
Because of the fact that every button has at least two functions, I struggle with working in dim lit environments.
Also, the fact that it only got one FN-button, which is located on the left side.
It is needed as often as the shift button, but not also available on the right side.

If you take out these two disadvantages, the Gemini is awesome, the best Android device I used so far (I've used Android since the first Galaxy smartphone) and this text is typed on it.
Even so, I'm still patiently waiting for my Pyra...

I must admit that I keep expecting to find Ctrl and shift keys on the back of the unit...

Funny you should ask... Planet now references it as a quad boot device. All four OSs can be loaded and booted from on a single device, assuming you want to break down the 64GB eMMC that far.

https://androidcommunity.com/planet-computers-gemini-pda-gets-a-quad-boot-option-20180627/

Android
Rooted Android
Debian
Sailfish OS 2.X community beta - soon to be 3.

I need my phone working with Android for work, so I haven't installed any of the additional OSs on it - not worth the risk at the moment.

But - I'm considering purchasing a 2nd Gemini to play with. I would rather have a Pyra to play with. But, I've had a Gemini for a month or more now and it's become my regular go-to.

That's exactly my problem too.
I'd really like to try Debian etc. on my Gemini, but I need it running smoothly as my main communication device.
If I break anything or the phone does not work etc. my clients won't be able to contact me and as I am self employed, that is not acceptable for me or my clients.
So I keep on waiting.

That's exactly my problem too.
I'd really like to try Debian etc. on my Gemini, but I need it running smoothly as my main communication device.
If I break anything or the phone does not work etc. my clients won't be able to contact me and as I am self employed, that is not acceptable for me or my clients.
So I keep on waiting.

I just bought a cheap Sony Android phone and use that as my main device. Sony actually updates most of their phones for some time. They're much better than any non-Nexus device in this regard.

That way, I can mess with my Gemini without worrying about destroying my daily driver.

@eric
@Grench
how is typing just with thumbs when holding in hands? I think about getting a successor to my beloved N900.
Do you know how long it will take to deliver when i order in indiegogo now? On their website, the pricing is much higher.

Edit: not to forget the most important question, does it fit into a jeans pocket? This would be the only advantage over the pyra.

Last edited:
Back