Planet Computers : Gemini - Psion Returns

I'm awaiting in use reviews of the Nokia 8110 4G reboot (or whatever the actual product number is) - that runs KaiOS which is a fork of FirefoxOS, so should at least be running on a Linux kernel. It remains to be seen how kernel updates are handled though, and what it ships with. HMD global are at least promising Android updates for their Android phones, and whether this extends to getting their KaiOS phone onto a LTS kernel and updating that as needed remains to be seen.

I'd personally wait to see if they make a version 2. To me this first release was a little too hyped for what it ended up being. Once they've learned how to do better, I'd liek to see what they do with a Gemini 2.

Totally agree. A basic thing I need for example, is a backlighted keyboard.

Possibly that's true if you hadn't intended them to be backlit, but I can confidently say the backlighting of the Pyra's keyboard area only takes a few fractions of a millimetre.

But then again my original Series 5s and none of my current computer keyboards have backlighting, so I think it's quite likely they just never designed it in to begin with. Almost all of my phones ever if not all of them have had backlit keyboards though, and while this isn't a phone it's main use cases often align. But that said, I never had trouble hitting keys on my S5s even under low pressure sodium streetlighting (although these days where I live I only have to go five minutes out of the house to reach a road with no streetlighting whatsoever, so maybe it's actually an issue for more people than I thought).

I really am disappointed by the missing backlight as much as I was/ am on the GPD Win.
In my opinion, it's a Pyra-Killer-Feature.
But it was no option on the Gemini, so I will have to live with it, until the Pyra get's full phone software support (hopefully).

Hmmm, their IndieGoGo campaign is still "In Demand"... I'm so very tempted to jump on to the queue.

It looks very derivative, like someone in a pub got the original designers to agree they'd put their credentials on it. The Psion guy woke up with a hangover with texts from a lawyer talking about smartphone footage being legally binding, and that they raised their hand and said under oath they were not drunk.

I had a similar convo once with a guy that worked for Gearbox and basically promised to make a Mario game that costarred Sonic, and they were best friends forever. Urgh.

I really am disappointed by the missing backlight as much as I was/ am on the GPD Win.
In my opinion, it's a Pyra-Killer-Feature.
But it was no option on the Gemini, so I will have to live with it, until the Pyra get's full phone software support (hopefully).
The lack of back light on the Gemini has been more of an issue than I had thought it would be. Leaning the screen back over the keys to 'take a peek' generally works, and as I get to touch typing on it I do that less and less. But yeah, it could really use a back lit keyboard.

I predict that Pyra's Debian phone support will include bits directly borrowed from the Debian on Gemini phone support that is currently in development. Debian on the Pyra and Debian on the Gemini should be able to use VERY similar software.

However, what I really want to try on the Gemini is Sailfish OS.

Hmmm, their IndieGoGo campaign is still "In Demand"... I'm so very tempted to jump on to the queue.
I'm kind of surprised how many people have jumped in after the price rose to retail on this. They're still selling several per day. Keep in mind that there are good and bad things about the Gemini. So far the good outweigh the bad for me. Several of the bad could theoretically get fixed in software.

Good:
  • Keyboard. Just barely big enough to quasi-touch-type on.
  • Pretty snappy. The X27 isn't going to win spec wars with the flagships, but it still does anything asked of it without lagging.
  • Screen is excellent. As a surprising bonus, this works VERY well as a desktop streaming video viewer.
  • Bezels I have seen people complain about the bezels. The bezels are there to make room for the keyboard. The screen is already 2:1 - there isn't content for anything wider. The bezels also make great 'grips' on either side of the screen.
  • Left USB C port. No more 'which end is up' for the charging cable.
  • Fits comfortably in a front pants pocket.
  • Battery seemingly lasts forever with 'normal use'.
  • microSDXC slot works with a 200GB card (after formatting to Fat32)
Bad:
  • Checking voice mail or doing anything else that requires input during a phone call. This is the ergonomic issue of trying to use the Gemini as a phone while the lid is open.
  • Lid Switch behavior: Wired headphones with in-line Android remote don't work with the lid closed. I.e. if you put the unit in your pocket you can no longer skip to the next song or raise/lower the volume or pause playback. Truly WTF? Wishing this can get fixed in software.
  • Left USB C port is the only one that charges the unit. It is also the only one that can accept a hub. It also cannot charge through the hub. HDMI to monitor is only through the Right USB C port. It is therefore not possible to connect to wired monitor, keyboard, mouse, and charge the Gemini at the same time.
  • USB C dongle to two USB 3 type A, Ethernet, and a USB C power port cannot pass charging power back to the Gemini. Another WTF?
  • microSDXC slot insists on formatting any card inserted as FAT32 and will not accept a card formatted as EXFat or other. Wishing this can get fixed in software.
  • Anytime an SDXC or microSDXC card or USB device is connected to the Gemini via USB adapter, the Gemini insists that it must be formatted as FAT32 before the Gemini will interact with it. Wishing this can get fixed in software.
  • One Button behavior: Pushing the one exposed button is linked to Google Assistant. Once activated, Google Assistant will proceed to pop up every time you try to use your device for anything. Google Assistant will also take over the button on your headphones for itself, overriding any intent you had to pause, play or next track. Any attempts will open up Google Assistant instead. Google Assistant cannot be removed or tamed, but it can be disabled if you find the right, well hidden,sub-menu in Google Assistant. Wishing this can get fixed in software.
It looks very derivative, like someone in a pub got the original designers to agree they'd put their credentials on it. The Psion guy woke up with a hangover with texts from a lawyer talking about smartphone footage being legally binding, and that they raised their hand and said under oath they were not drunk.

And that is a huge part of it's charm. It is the most different phone device on the market today - and it does that by being a complete re-do on a much loved device from 20+ years ago. A bunch of old people got together with a bunch of young people made their own ideal device blending old and new technologies and gave the rest of us a chance to buy in on it to get a device that the major manufacturers would never consider producing. I call that a win.

The lack of back light on the Gemini has been more of an issue than I had thought it would be. Leaning the screen back over the keys to 'take a peek' generally works, and as I get to touch typing on it I do that less and less. But yeah, it could really use a back lit keyboard.

I predict that Pyra's Debian phone support will include bits directly borrowed from the Debian on Gemini phone support that is currently in development. Debian on the Pyra and Debian on the Gemini should be able to use VERY similar software.

However, what I really want to try on the Gemini is Sailfish OS.

I'm kind of surprised how many people have jumped in after the price rose to retail on this. They're still selling several per day. Keep in mind that there are good and bad things about the Gemini. So far the good outweigh the bad for me. Several of the bad could theoretically get fixed in software.

Good:
  • Keyboard. Just barely big enough to quasi-touch-type on.
  • Pretty snappy. The X27 isn't going to win spec wars with the flagships, but it still does anything asked of it without lagging.
  • Screen is excellent. As a surprising bonus, this works VERY well as a desktop streaming video viewer.
  • Bezels I have seen people complain about the bezels. The bezels are there to make room for the keyboard. The screen is already 2:1 - there isn't content for anything wider. The bezels also make great 'grips' on either side of the screen.
  • Left USB C port. No more 'which end is up' for the charging cable.
  • Fits comfortably in a front pants pocket.
  • Battery seemingly lasts forever with 'normal use'.
  • microSDXC slot works with a 200GB card (after formatting to Fat32)
Bad:
  • Checking voice mail or doing anything else that requires input during a phone call. This is the ergonomic issue of trying to use the Gemini as a phone while the lid is open.
  • Lid Switch behavior: Wired headphones with in-line Android remote don't work with the lid closed. I.e. if you put the unit in your pocket you can no longer skip to the next song or raise/lower the volume or pause playback. Truly WTF? Wishing this can get fixed in software.
  • Left USB C port is the only one that charges the unit. It is also the only one that can accept a hub. It also cannot charge through the hub. HDMI to monitor is only through the Right USB C port. It is therefore not possible to connect to wired monitor, keyboard, mouse, and charge the Gemini at the same time.
  • USB C dongle to two USB 3 type A, Ethernet, and a USB C power port cannot pass charging power back to the Gemini. Another WTF?
  • microSDXC slot insists on formatting any card inserted as FAT32 and will not accept a card formatted as EXFat or other. Wishing this can get fixed in software.
  • Anytime an SDXC or microSDXC card or USB device is connected to the Gemini via USB adapter, the Gemini insists that it must be formatted as FAT32 before the Gemini will interact with it. Wishing this can get fixed in software.
  • One Button behavior: Pushing the one exposed button is linked to Google Assistant. Once activated, Google Assistant will proceed to pop up every time you try to use your device for anything. Google Assistant will also take over the button on your headphones for itself, overriding any intent you had to pause, play or next track. Any attempts will open up Google Assistant instead. Google Assistant cannot be removed or tamed, but it can be disabled if you find the right, well hidden,sub-menu in Google Assistant. Wishing this can get fixed in software.

And that is a huge part of it's charm. It is the most different phone device on the market today - and it does that by being a complete re-do on a much loved device from 20+ years ago. A bunch of old people got together with a bunch of young people made their own ideal device blending old and new technologies and gave the rest of us a chance to buy in on it to get a device that the major manufacturers would never consider producing. I call that a win.
Thanks for sharing your impressions!
I am looking forward to a comparison of the Gemini and the Pyra!

In the SD behavior like this in Linux or Android?

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

If it's the same as my Jornada 728 but light enough to carry in a normal bag then fair enough.

However. Even my Jornada has creativity in regard to being a 5mx clone; flip open memory card slot and media playback buttons reworked from Sony Walkman. We use those things in Android devices today! Flip open sim card or sd! Volume buttons on the sides! Not to mention the hinge battery light, which the Pyra is still using.

I would expect at least some level of invention with this Gemini, but hey.

Thanks for sharing your impressions!
I am looking forward to a comparison of the Gemini and the Pyra!

In the SD behavior like this in Linux or Android?

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

The above is my impressions of the device under Android. I am currently planning to stick with Android on it (need it for an Android work application). Putting Linux on it now feels too much like experimenting on a production platform.

I was just thinking that comparaitvely speaking, my Jornada is like comparing a first-gen monster truck to a modern drone.

More than likely you could program the StrongARM to cripple a Gemini with electromagnetic discharge patterns. It works at such a reliable rate with large voltages, and screws FM radio up enough that to modern embedded systems this classes as EMP hostility. Honestly i'm not sure if was Jornada that kept trashing the bootloader in my Pandora, since they were next to each other a lot. Kabeep.

I got my Gemini recently.

Have installed Debian and after completing the various setup items this morning, it is working great as a pocket Linux computer, which is what I wanted it for.

Very pleased with it!

Mark

I'm not sure; if they use that technology that uses the closed-source android components then that's not something I want on my Pyra. It's probably acceptable to a lot more Gemini users though.

Speaking of that, can anyone remember the name of it? And is there any more information about what it actually does? Is it running android in a VM, or have they ported bits and pieces to the linux kernel?

Checking voice mail or doing anything else that requires input during a phone call. This is the ergonomic issue of trying to use the Gemini as a phone while the lid is open.
Thanks for your feedback, very useful.
I was thinking of trying the Pyra as a phone, but I think very much like this, it'll be problematic (esp as neither were designed as phones).

Trouble is, I'm fed up of Android and Apple, and I can't find any phones sporting any of the alternative OSes (Sailfish, KaiOS, etc.) for sale in the UK (or anywhere really)

I got my Gemini recently.

Have installed Debian and after completing the various setup items this morning, it is working great as a pocket Linux computer, which is what I wanted it for.

Very pleased with it!

Mark

Are you able to give a report on, "The Current State of Debian Telephony on the Gemini"? I.e., does any of it work yet?
[doublepost=1526417277,1526416902][/doublepost]
Thanks for your feedback, very useful.
I was thinking of trying the Pyra as a phone, but I think very much like this, it'll be problematic (esp as neither were designed as phones).

Trouble is, I'm fed up of Android and Apple, and I can't find any phones sporting any of the alternative OSes (Sailfish, KaiOS, etc.) for sale in the UK (or anywhere really)

Continuum of phone to computer:

wall phone
flip phone
smart phone (iPhone, Galaxy, other glass monoliths)
Gemini
Pyra
Sub-Notebook
Notebook
Laptop
PC
Workstation
Server
Mainframe
Supercomputer

I put the Gemini between the Pyra and a standard smartphone. It is not as convenient to talk on as a dedicated phone. It is not as convenient to type on as a dedicated computer. It is, admittedly, a compromised device trying to be two things. For me it is doing both things in a mostly acceptable manner. There are a few stupid bits that need fixing, but those should mostly be software.

Oh, and above I should have mentioned as a gigantic GOOD thing. Open, published boot loader and four independent OS efforts underway (Android, Debian, Sailfish, *can't remember 4th*).

Are you able to give a report on, "The Current State of Debian Telephony on the Gemini"? I.e., does any of it work yet?

Unfortunately, I cannot, as I am not using the Gemini as a phone, just as a pocket linux computer.

However, here's a link to a webpage that has some info about what you need to do to get it working. Scroll down to near bottom of page where the heading says "Mobile".

The page is by what I think is the lead developer for the Gemini Debian image. So, other informative info there too. Will give everyone an idea of the current state of Debian development is on Gemini.

Page was updated today and says an updated image file available soon that will not most of the after flashing tweaks.

https://github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-apps/wiki/DebianTP

Hope this helps.

Mark

Back