Pixels

"Pixels isn't worth the price of a 3D ticket" - the entire review just lost its credibility.

Well actually the terrible, sloppy writing did that a few paragraphs ago. But I like a good prompt to whinge about how crappy and irrelevant 3D cinema is!

I, for one, will watch any old crap simply for a chance to turn off my brain for a couple of hours. At least this particular crap is vaguely relevant to my interests! Tearing it apart as if it were supposed to be some visual masterpiece is like slating salt & vinegar crisps for not being caviar.

It is sad when you realize that most movies are made with two objectives in mind:

First: get as much profit as possible for the producers and the studio.

Second: indoctrinate the masses in accordance to the convinience of the political and business caste, as long as it does not interfere too much with the first point...

In my humble opinion :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I, for one, will watch any old crap simply for a chance to turn off my brain for a couple of hours. At least this particular crap is vaguely relevant to my interests! Tearing it apart as if it were supposed to be some visual masterpiece is like slating salt & vinegar crisps for not being caviar.
If you don't care about the characterisations or plot, what are you reading a review for?  The only thing that review says other than that the characterisation and plot is lacking is that it has a well utilised soundtrack.  Unless you're particularly interested in that, I'd have thought the trailer would be more than enough for you to know whether you need to see it or not.

For the rest of us, who need more sustenance in a movie we have to be basically sober to see (to avoid missing half of the film in the toilets), a review like that is useful.  I for one will wait until it's shown on TV, where I can pause it for bathroom breaks, of fast-forward through the slow bits.

It's not like I went out of my way to read the review- it was a click away and leant some context to this thread. Useful, since I hadn't even heard of the film.

I don't watch or even have regular TV, and don't frequent cinemas... maybe once a year... So any old toss I can stick on to unwind will do. Most of the time it'll be on in the background while I work anyway.

As for even partaking in this thread in the first place; I'm mostly just here because I quit Reddit and need something else to prevent me from working 24/7.

I watched the first 5 seconds and all it did was make me want to watch the film more :D I think I'm becoming a contrarian old git- perhaps a little early.

Seriously though- so many big words wasted to trash a film in the format of a mediocre YouTube video. Pot kettle black? Both parties are equally guilty of contributing nothing of lasting worth to society in return for raw dollar.

This has just reminded me of Zero Punctuation which I'm now going to need to marathon watch to catch up on.

I watched it with my kids yesterdy in a movie theater near me. The kids loved it. It's for kids and not for adult so I am not gonna comment, disagree or agree with any reviews/comments here. At least they make my kids changed their perspectives about retro stuff in a better way now than they were before. They borrow all my 3 Pandoras to play Donkey Kong on Colem emulator now which they never bother before :)

What about the other games that were in the movie?  It looks like they used a lot of hits, and I would think kids would want to try them all.  If this film makes my hobby of playing (and collecting to some degree, but very casually) more expensive I will not be happy.  Certain popular games already sell for far more than they should.

Movie reviews are as stupid as asking a waitress if she thinks the chicken salad is good.  Who cares if SHE thinks the chicken salad is good. She is not you , her tastes are different.

Same with a movie review, who gives a crap what someone else thinks of a movie?  Their tastes, likes, and dislikes are totally different than yours.

I never watch, read, listen to a movie review before I watch a movie.   Go in unbiased, sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, sometimes I'm not. But at least I didn't go into it with someone else god-forsaken stupid opinion stuck in my head. 

/rant

Well the waitress could tell you "don't eat the chicken salad, it is literally made of shit". Or more likely she could say something like "I wouldn't recommend the chicken salad today, the chicken was freezer burnt and very dry". Doesn't matter what your mutual tastes are, there are just some things which are universal enough that they serve as indicators. Some people don't care if their chicken is a little dry, some people actually like "stupid" humor, but a good review will at least let you know that that's what to expect.

That being said, a lot of reviews are absolute rubbish.

Well the waitress could tell you "don't eat the chicken salad, it is literally made of shit". Or more likely she could say something like "I wouldn't recommend the chicken salad today, the chicken was freezer burnt and very dry". Doesn't matter what your mutual tastes are, there are just some things which are universal enough that they serve as indicators. Some people don't care if their chicken is a little dry, some people actually like "stupid" humor, but a good review will at least let you know that that's what to expect.

I'm talking about movie reviews in which movie reviewers give their opinions on the movie.  You're comparing that to a waitress giving you facts about the meal. That's not a valid comparison. 

If a movie reviewer says it's "stupid" humor", that's still his opinion. And since what I view as stupid humor will be different than the reviewer, I don't care what his opinion is. 

People are sheep. A lot of people will decide a movie is good or bad based on a review. My thought, would they have liked or disliked the movie if they had gone in unbiased?  

I tend to only acutally use the opinions of reviewers I trust, and whose opinions match my own (or whose opinions I want to be my own sometimes, I guess).  I linked that Angry Bob one above because it was funny, but I generally do find specific reviews useful, because it means I can save money on going to see them if they'd likely be a waste of time.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/UXLvV6ovobc?feature=oembed

I'm talking about movie reviews in which movie reviewers give their opinions on the movie. You're comparing that to a waitress giving you facts about the meal. That's not a valid comparison.
Well yes. You said "movie reviews", an all encompassing label. I was clarifying that "movie reviews" are just as good as "waitress reviews" in that they can be used to provide information about the product. I even followed up with "most reviews are rubbish" to make it obvious that we are on the same page.
If a movie reviewer says it's "stupid" humor", that's still his opinion
No, sorry, I was looking for the term "dumb comedy", not "stupid humor". My mistake. I was referring to the genre, not a reviewers opinion as to whether the jokes were "smart" or "stupid".

Back