GP2X Pixel Editor On Gp2x

Thanks to Ravnos for mentioning Jdraw, I have been looking for a sprite maker to use on my old Mac Wallstreet Laptop and it WORKS!!!! Me is very happy. Just a mention of Pixen for all the other mac users out there is another great pixel editor (won't work on my laptop though). The problem with gpsprites, for me, is that it won't run under Linux or MacOS and I would really like a sprite editor for on the go (I don't take my laptop everywhere, but i do take my :gp2x with me everywhere). So an actual sprite editor on the GP2X would be great. But I will leave that up to the mighty developers out there.

saehn said:
Karrakunga said:
Consider me stupid if I'm not understanding this correctly but your wanted a program where you can hover over the pixels and change the colour of them in some way? Like a paint program but limited to pixels?

It's just if that is the case it kinda sounds easy in my heads theory. If not tell me to shut up :lol:
No, a pixel editor is something like Microsoft Paint (only better, preferably). Think of it as a low-resolution version of Photoshop. Click here to learn more.

Since I have my GP2X, I want a easy graphic editor on GP2X. Especially for doing quick and easy Icons for example. I miss them in many Apps (wink to homebrew coders ;) )
My needed specs for such a tool would be:

-supports png (variable colour deepth) and .gif and .bmp and jpg
-controlls without a mouse cursor for selecting everything, I want direct console style movement of a action and not a PC style. For Pixel Action we use the stick to move a selection and the buttons on the pixel grid and same for menus but with other buttons, maybe L and R
-standard GFX tools included like eraser, Brush, pencil, copy etc.
-Maybe layer function for blending, transparency effects etc.
-Zoom function, the vol. +/- button is made for this! :)
-pre defined pic-sizes like 32x32 or 320x240

Alex. said:
A_SN said:
The main problem to get started with that is the file I/O. I don't even know how to save a .png, let alone a .gif
Was that a crack at my sexy BMP screenshots? :lol:

Let me introduce to you a good friend of mine, he's called "PNG" :lol: He's small and beautiful and he likes you to. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've moved my tool from a windows release to a GP2X release.

fusion_power, it's getting closer to your wish...

A screenshot of the work in progress:
screenGP2X01.gif

Looking great, Tikka! It'll be very useful to a lot of people, myself included :)

tikka said:

screenGP2X01.gif
hey that's nice :) do you have an option for turning the grid on/off?

tikka said:

screenGP2X01.gif
Exactly! :lol: Very nice! Yes, something like this I had in my mind. Maybe a better graphical seperation of the layer display at the right, larger colour fields bottom left (to pic them better, if such a function exists) and somewhere a info box with the Size of the graphic and cursor position, zoom factor etc. and the thing rocks. :)
I'm sure, our GP2X has enough buttons to have a nice controll over such a programm, I've counted 11 Buttons, included Stick push, so we could have some nice pre defined hotkeys for example.

tikka said:

screenGP2X01.gif
nice :D

hey, really well done. looks cool! Still, a mario-paint like extension of this would be cool. how about a future feature? Maybe if you are done making it usable for developers, expand it and add a playful set of tools and a simple animation editor (to export to gif or a similar format) if you are motivated.

I wrote some sort of texture/sprite editor for Gp2x.
But it is only for Fleshchasmer tiledata file that is 256x16x16x256. Palette editor also was created to find neat colours on gp2x screen.

It has no export/import file formats :(

Back