"pituka" In Dev

I've sent him my Z80 core, unfortunately I have not had chance to write some good intructions on how to implement the Z80 core in a emulation project. But hopefully he'll be able to get it working, If not I've offered to help.

P.S I've got my Z80 core working in my genesis emulator ( DrMD ), I just need a fast YM2612 emulator which hopefully I'll be able to get from Rob Brown ( he did the sound core in Fgen ), anyway the PSG sounds good :) Expect a release soon....

Reesy posted on Oct 12 2004 at 08:50 PM said:
I've sent him my Z80 core,  unfortunately I have not had chance to write some good intructions on how to implement the Z80 core in a emulation project.  But hopefully he'll be able to get it working, If not I've offered to help.

P.S  I've got my Z80 core working in my genesis emulator ( DrMD ), I just need a fast YM2612 emulator which hopefully I'll be able to get from Rob Brown ( he did the sound core in Fgen ), anyway the PSG sounds good :)  Expect a release soon....

:eek: :eek: You've got an MD emulator Reesy???? WIth SOUND on gp32?? OMG!!!!!! Please let me know so I don't sell my remaining gp32_console :p

So is Loridan also working on a MD emu?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im working on sound; GUI more later ;)

ATM, bad news, when sound playing gp32 PUF! and Reboot :(

Tomorrow i still trying :)

Cu pp and thanks a lots to Reesy for our DrZ80 core, i see the code tomorrow too :D

kotd posted on Oct 13 2004 at 01:19 AM said:
Reesy posted on Oct 12 2004 at 08:50 PM said:
I've sent him my Z80 core,  unfortunately I have not had chance to write some good intructions on how to implement the Z80 core in a emulation project.  But hopefully he'll be able to get it working, If not I've offered to help.

P.S  I've got my Z80 core working in my genesis emulator ( DrMD ), I just need a fast YM2612 emulator which hopefully I'll be able to get from Rob Brown ( he did the sound core in Fgen ), anyway the PSG sounds good :)  Expect a release soon....

:eek: :eek: You've got an MD emulator Reesy???? WIth SOUND on gp32?? OMG!!!!!! Please let me know so I don't sell my remaining gp32_console :p

So is Loridan also working on a MD emu?

I was told about this DrMd in a post on the GBA board awhile back. Reesy told me not to say anything so I didn't. I guess now the cat is out of the bag so to speak. It sounds really impressive and the terms ASM and FAST were mentioned alot. If he gets it working and turns out good we need to get donations to him. I sent Rlyeh some money for his fGen emu and will do the same here if it turns out. It looks as if the emu has progressed and looks like it may happen or it wouldn't have been mentioned I would guess. :) :) A couple more emus may pop out soon it looks :) Things are looking up.

Yes I'm working on a MD emulator. At the moment its not emulating sprites as I'm still designing the code. The emulator currently uses the loader from gigadrive until I get time to write my own. The emulator core is written in ASM, this simplifies the interaction between the two asm cpu cores (Cyclone and DrZ80). All graphics routines are in ASM as well. The sounds routines are in C, and are taken from PC emulators..which means there slow. So at some point these will need to be re-written in ASM, the PSG should be easy, the FM emulator will not be easy ( for me anyway ).

This is how the emulator currently runs
At 133Mhz
With autoframe skipskip and with PSG sound emulation the emulator runs at 30-50 frames a second ( ie frame skip of 1 )

At 166Mhz
With autoframe skipskip and with PSG sound emulation the emulator runs at 90-110 frames a second ( I'm assuming there's a problem with timers when you overclock to 166Mhz )

But at both speeds the emulator appears to run very smoothly ( well as far as I can tell without any sprites )

Any sorry for hijacking for your thread D_Skywalk

Ok thanks a million Reesy. I will be keeping my gp32 now. If you need a Beta tester I'm your man with the complete rom set. Previously did it for fdave who dissapeared....

kotd posted on Oct 13 2004 at 08:23 AM said:
Ok thanks a million Reesy. I will be keeping my gp32 now. If you need a Beta tester I'm your man with the complete rom set. Previously did it for fdave who dissapeared....

Hehe told ya to hang on a few days :)

Reesy posted on Oct 13 2004 at 07:00 AM said:
But at both speeds the emulator appears to run very smoothly ( well as far as I can tell without any sprites )

Any sorry for hijacking for your thread D_Skywalk

A new thread could be made about this as it is very worthy. I thought about doing it but I wasn't sure how much attention you wanted (or don't want) about this. I would hate to see you bombarded by a bunch of e-mails from ROM lamers asking you when it will be done and to hurry up.

If it is ok with you we can make a thread about this but it is entirely up to you.

Thanks for your current efforts :)

BaDToaD posted on Oct 13 2004 at 02:32 PM said:

Yep you were right thanks for saving my second Gp32 mate :)

PituKa begins talking :lol:

This afternoon PituKa sound has become to work!! :)

The first version of sound emulation its too buggy and need some testing and depuring. Im started to port drZ80 to Pituka too :)

Cu pp and NP Ressy for this post hijacking :p

kotd posted on Oct 13 2004 at 11:48 PM said:
BaDToaD posted on Oct 13 2004 at 02:32 PM said:

Yep you were right thanks for saving my second Gp32 mate :)

If I were you I would trade it for a BLU though. I have played fGen on it after I got it and the colors are so nice on the BLU. So are the ST emu colors. Many complained about the gamma on CaSTaway but with the BLU it is perfect.

D_Skywalk posted on Oct 14 2004 at 12:30 AM said:
PituKa begins talking  :lol:

This afternoon PituKa sound has become to work!! :)

The first version of sound emulation its too buggy and need some testing and depuring. Im started to port drZ80 to Pituka too :)

Cu pp and NP Ressy for this post hijacking :p

I don't really know alot about this system. What is the resolution of the screen ? It looks like it has more colors than the C64 too.

Anyway thanks for the good work, I can't wait to see it when it is released :)

DaveC posted on Oct 15 2004 at 05:30 AM said:
I don't really know alot about this system. What is the resolution of the screen ? It looks like it has more colors than the C64 too.

Anyway thanks for the good work, I can't wait to see it when it is released :)

The CPC has three different screen resolutions and a color palette of 27 colors (in the Plus series with 4096 colors):
Mode 0: 160x200 with 16 colors
Mode 1: 320x200 with 4 colors
Mode 2: 640x200 with 2 colors

The CPU is a Z80 clocked at 4 MHz, the soundchip is an AY-3-8912 (which is also used in the Atari ST) and the CRTC 6845 is used as graphics chip.

Octoate posted on Oct 15 2004 at 10:07 AM said:
The CPU is a Z80 clocked at 4 MHz, the soundchip is an AY-3-8912 (which is also used in the Atari ST) and the CRTC 6845 is used as graphics chip.

The CPU is actually a Z80a - not that the difference is huge, but some games/programs make use of the ekstra undocumented features in this "buggy" version of the CPU. Including my own creations ;-)

I hope that these features are maintained in the emu. But I am ecstatic about any CPC release, so I won't demand too much.

I'll see if I can find a good Z80a emu core somewhere, if that can help anyone. Though it might seem a bit improbable.

Octoate posted on Oct 15 2004 at 10:07 AM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 15 2004 at 05:30 AM said:
I don't really know alot about this system. What is the resolution of the screen ?  It looks like it has more colors than the C64 too.

Anyway thanks for the good work, I can't wait to see it when it is released  :)

The CPC has three different screen resolutions and a color palette of 27 colors (in the Plus series with 4096 colors):
Mode 0: 160x200 with 16 colors
Mode 1: 320x200 with 4 colors
Mode 2: 640x200 with 2 colors

What mode did the games use? I would guess 160 x 200.

Did any use the 4096 color mode?

That is weird, I wonder why the ST used such an old sound chip design, even the C64 had better sound.

Most games used mode 0 but the later games made use of the clever ways the graphics chip could be tweaked to render different modes on different places on the screen. Even fast interrupt routines could cheat so that for every "rasterpoint" you could change colours thus having all 27 colors present on the same time. Clever, clever ;-)

Well - hope that we can "cheat" this emu too ;-)

Back