"pituka" In Dev

LHC, if you wish donate me a chatboard, please send me a personal message (PM) :)

Thanks anyway,

PituKa, still in a several optimization progress, ATM i rewrote all CRTC Monitor emulation method for a most efficient GP code :)

TODO:
- Make GUI (and selector ROM)
- Sound!!!
- Release the first PituKa release :)

Cu :D

I don't eaven know what this system is?
It looks par to Atari ST (and Amiga 500 i guess), but don't remember hearing about it in my childhood at all.
How does it compare to those?

Can't seem to find it at vgmuseum.com either.

Ringo posted on Oct 10 2004 at 05:26 PM said:
It looks par to Atari ST (and Amiga 500 i guess), but don't remember hearing about it in my childhood at all.

The Amstrad CPC models were 8bit Z80 machines. Similar to the spectrum, but were never as popular because they came with a monitor and so they were very expensive. Can't tell you much more because I only saw one for the first time a couple of years ago and it didn't work :).

Last edited by a moderator:
The CPC has some nice video hardware which is better than the ST's.

However next to no software made use of it, instead you will find spectrum and C64 ports and little else. A shame indeed. Still there is the odd unique game and it has some of the best versions of some games.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Sorry, D_Skywalk. I can't actually donate you a chatboard, so my plan was to send you some cash, hopefully by paypal or whatever, to help you afford one if you got some more donations. Unfortunately that won't be possible either, as I have no money in my bank account at the minute.

Sorry :(

woogal posted on Oct 10 2004 at 06:41 PM said:

The Amstrad CPC models were 8bit Z80 machines. Similar to the spectrum, but were never as popular because they came with a monitor and so they were very expensive. Can't tell you much more because I only saw one for the first time a couple of years ago and it didn't work :).
Hmm, as far as I remember the CPC was cheaper then the C64 here in germany, but I am not sure about that...
The CPC is a great computer, you can read more about it (and see some pictures of the different models) on my homepage.

Btw, if anyone wants to sell a 464+... It's the only one missing in my collection... :rolleyes:

@D_Skywalk: It would be cool if you later can send the changes you made to Ulrich Doewich (the author of Caprice) since they are searching for possibilites to speed Caprice up (currently they are working on a OpenGL renderer and keyboard internationalization). Are you in the Caprice mailinglist?

woogal posted on Oct 10 2004 at 04:41 PM said:

The CPC was graphically superior to spectrum and c64. In fact, some game makers made first the CPC version and then ported it and lowered the graphics for spectrum and c64. And well, about the monitor... it was very expensive, and most of people had to buy the "cheap" edition with a green phosphore monitor (only 3 or 4 tones of green), that had better resolution.

CPC -> graphical beast
C64 -> sound beast
Spectrum -> the winner, minor sound quality, minor graphic quality, but cheaper

PituKa WIP :D

I still rewriten CRTC code but still some buggy :(

00000008.png

Octoate, this changes only affect for this GP32 port, no better emulation... the original emulation code still here. My GP port adds some advances but only usefull for GP-people , here some changes:
New GUI Code, New Dump/VRam/Specific Code for GP32, Keyboard emulation (no chatboard support today) and a Wonderfull Pet: PituKa ;)

If i make some changes that brings better emulation, this code will be send to creator of course :)

Cu and sorry for my english :p
Pd: LHC, dont worry men :)

@D_Skywalk: Ahh, I understand. Are you writing a complete new CRTC core or do you "just" speed it up? Will it be as compatible as the original core?

The CPC was one of the 'big three' in the UK back in the 80's and was very popular throughout Europe.

Obviously there was the C64 and the Spectrum as well. Some spectrum games were direct ports (but they seemed to have a bit more colour) such as Alien 8 and others but some other games seemed far better on the Amstrad.

I was born and raised on the Speccy but thanks to emulation its excellent trying out games on the Amstrad and C64. Either way the game files will be quite small and its quite fun finding out new titles for a new emulator like this.

Games can easily be found on the net and again like i say the filesizes are small. Should be an excellent emulator

I owned an Amstrad CPC 464 with a colour monitor for years and it was one of my best machines. A lot of games for it were speccy ports but there were also loads of games that used its own hardware, these games really stood out from the crowd and showed off what the Amstrad could do. Check out the speccy version of 'Renegade', an then have a quick look at the Amstrad CPC version as an example. A really great machine, this is great news, I can't wait for the emulator! :)

I just hope it won´t be as slow as the first SNES emus :huh: . However, the first game i will play on it is the good old R-Type. There´s just one better version of it (and that was the amiga one), so i'm really excited about this emu!

Hey guys! Great screens and great games too, im add:

la_abadia_del_crimen.png

La abadia del Crimen (Oficial test PituKa Game ;))

matchday_2.png

MatchDay II: Great Soccer Game ^^_

myth_history_in_the_making.png

Myth: Another great 8bits Arcade game :D

Oh, im forgot it PituKa alives one more time ^^_

00000010.png

CU :D

WOW I can't wait to play Fruity Frank, Micro Ball, Spy vs Spy, Cauldron & so many others on the way ;) really fantastic :))
Thanks ALOT & Keep up the great great work D_Skywalk :)

I know this kind of question is not popular among developers, but I cannot hesitate to ask anyway.

D_Skywalk:-> Have you any idea of when a beta could emerge?

The reason I ask is merely that we appearently seem to be such a huge group of fans out here who might be able to help debug - at least from a users point of view. I, for one, still have my old CPC6128 and still remember the feel and special ways it had/has.

One of the things I'd like to see if is maintained is all the undocumented instructions in Amstrad's Z80a processor. Or are all these features gone because of a rewrite of the core?

Remember, that I had tons of homemade progs that made use of som kind of "overflow" instructions that weren't supposed to be there.

D_Skywalk posted on Oct 10 2004 at 04:20 PM said:
LHC, if you wish donate me a chatboard, please send me a personal message (PM) :)

Thanks anyway,

PituKa, still in a several optimization progress, ATM i rewrote all CRTC Monitor emulation method for a most efficient GP code :)

TODO:
- Make GUI (and selector ROM)
- Sound!!!
- Release the first PituKa release :)

Cu :D

Cool. In your opinion do you think this will be able to run full speed WITH sound on the GP32 eventually? Or is the machine too complex for the GP32?

You can, of course, reach fullspeed, but there is some optimization needed. The main problem is the Z80 emulation. Most Z80 cores are based on the one in MAME and so they aren't very fast. At least changing it into asm code could speed it up a lot. Maybe this could be interesting for that: ARM Z80 core

Back