Picking Up On Gpfce

naples39

Emulator for NES currently runs at 60 fps with extremely high compatibility at 233mhz, so optimizing the code isn't that necessary.

What would be welcome is a menu system, or lacking that, a change from using stick click to manage save states and exit games (eg L+R+Start to exit), and using select or start instead (eg L+R+Select to exit).

Assuming someone can throw in a simple menu, these might be some things to put in there;
-swap buttons (currently available through command line)
-game genie (currently available through command line)
-'no sprite limit' to reduce flashing, which is available on a number of PC NES emulators
-ability to draw a few less lines to prevent image wrapping, also available on many PC emulators (see SMB3 to demonstrate the issue)

If anyone is able to make a menu, I'd be happy to re-do the background image I did for FishyNES (below) for this program.

So, any takers?

Source

My only complaint is the lack of Zapper support. And that it could be faster (so you can down-clock and save your batteries).

I've been kind of tempted to pick this one up... maybe once ED gets my D-Pad mod installed :)

dockthepod posted on Feb 2 2007 at 03:22 PM said:
I've been kind of tempted to pick this one up... maybe once ED gets my D-Pad mod installed :)

Glad to see you're considering it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Emulator for NES currently runs at 60 fps with extremely high compatibility at 233mhz, so optimizing the code isn't that necessary.

*at 233mhz* that means optimizing is needed. NES should run at 200 MHz. Plus the sound is kind of crackly so that could be fixed too.

Here is something written for everything (except GP2X it seems) and is supposed to use SDL. Shouldn't this be easy to port? It is based on LittleJohn and that ran great on a 133 MHz GP32.

Could this be ported easily?

http://yoyofr.proboards44.com/index.cgi?bo...read=1169954741

TelcoLou posted on Feb 3 2007 at 03:08 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 2 2007 at 09:39 PM said:

:eek: ... a quick read tells me yes; it's been ported to the PSP already!

</ :eek: >

I could care less about the PSP. I know you are a born again PSP fanboi but who gives a shit. The PSP already has an NES emu. I would like the non blurred out non ghosty mess version for the GP2X.

DaveC posted on Feb 2 2007 at 10:35 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Feb 3 2007 at 03:08 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 2 2007 at 09:39 PM said:

:eek: ... a quick read tells me yes; it's been ported to the PSP already!

</ :eek: >

I could care less about the PSP. I know you are a born again PSP fanboi but who gives a shit. The PSP already has an NES emu. I would like the non blurred out non ghosty mess version for the GP2X.

Whoa!! Calm the fuck down asshole!

I was just pointing out that if the author so easily ported it (with controls and sound) to the PSP, than a GP2X port would likely be as easy ...

... and to think I usually defend you. Dick. :angry:

TelcoLou posted on Feb 3 2007 at 03:39 AM said:
I could care less about the PSP.

I could eat less food == I eat more than is healthy. Thus I am a glutton.

I could care less about the PSP == I care more than is healthy about the PSP. Thus I am a PSP fanboi.

Whoa!! Calm the fuck down asshole!

I was just pointing out that if the author so easily ported it (with controls and sound) to the PSP, than a GP2X port would likely be as easy ...

... and to think I usually defend you. Dick. :angry:

Well your post wasn't too descriptive. It appeared with all of the exclamation points and emoticons that you were gloating because it was ported to the PSP.

Your follow up post, minus the expletives, explains what you intended.

So no only am I an asshole, but my mind reading needs a bit of work too :p So whatever. I just hope this emu could be ported to the GP2X too, LittleJohn was great on the GP32.

Fawny Kate posted on Feb 3 2007 at 10:50 AM said:

I could care less about the PSP == I care more than is healthy about the PSP. Thus I am a PSP fanboi.

I agree with you in meaning (just about), but it's just an Americanism so there's no point worrying about it...

I would sure like a more optimal NES emulator, Shouldn't have to overclock. The save controls are a bit annoying at times. I don't have gripes with GPFCE's lack of a menu, since I just use GMenu2X to choose the roms... USB pad support might be a nice addition. Also the standard menu combo...

PokeParadox posted on Feb 3 2007 at 02:35 PM said:

I agree with you in meaning (just about), but it's just an Americanism so there's no point worrying about it...

For the record, the american expression is supposed to go "I couldn't care less," which makes logical sense. People often mix up that little detail though, but either way, the message gets across.

Yeah, sorry for snapping DaveC .. 'twas the 'fanboi' comment that tweaked me the most :p

.. if this emu was ported, I'd likely use my '2X more often ... Monopoly on NES is one of my favorite games EVER :D

nickspoon posted on Feb 3 2007 at 10:56 PM said:
Well, if someone could squeeze the sourcecode out of him, it should be an easy port :)

PM Tinnus here. edit: it is the same Tinnus, right?

"i could care less" or "i could give a rat's ass" etc, are both "correct" in that everyone knows what they mean. no, the semantics don't work out. but in this case you have to separate what the words denote from what they connote. it may be "wrong" in an academic sense, but i'm sure it gets said more with "could" than with "couldn't". kind of like the singular "they"...everyone moans about it, but it's been a fixture of the english language for hundreds of years.

also, much like a double negative, there's just something about "could care less" that makes it sound more forceful. "couldn't", perhaps because it is gramatically correct, sounds more polite. language is a funny thing :)

carry on.

also, the nes emulation is fine. everybody quit yer bitchin'.

rokdcasbah posted on Feb 5 2007 at 12:44 AM said:
there's just something about "could care less" that makes it sound more forceful.
It sounds less forceful (and a bit stupid) because it means that you do care enough to be able to care less.

I guess NES emulation takes the back burner on a lot of hand-helds ... LittleJohn for the GP32 came close to perfect, but every one since then has had it's glitches and need for improvement.

(Nice on-topic post, eh?)

Back