Phytium-based ARM PC

Okay, so the system seems to be finding enough to get decent randomness, so I guess you can ignore that message for now. Might be worth ddging it every few months at most to see if anyone's written anything up about it yet.

Now that I have alle these Pyra Roms on the Phytium PC SSD, i Wonder how good this thing should be for Emulation: i would suspect I just have to download Retroarch, connect one of my Controllers (I have the old Xbox 360 Controller for Windows and the Xbox One Wireless Gamepad as well as the USB Joystick from the C64 Maxi .. )
But maybe this experiment will have it’s time till the next weekend; if I don’t have to much to do whit the Xbox Series ^^

EDIT: OK the XBOX 360 Controller want be reconiced yet, allthough there is a Gamepad Option, but the X Blinks when i connect the Controller, so maybe its got not enough power over USB?
At least i have the Pyra working again..

Last edited:
Now that I have alle these Pyra Roms on the Phytium PC SSD, i Wonder how good this thing should be for Emulation: i would suspect I just have to download Retroarch, connect one of my Controllers (I have the old Xbox 360 Controller for Windows and the Xbox One Wireless Gamepad as well as the USB Joystick from the C64 Maxi .. )
But maybe this experiment will have it’s time till the next weekend; if I don’t have to much to do whit the Xbox Series ^^

EDIT: OK the XBOX 360 Controller want be reconiced yet, allthough there is a Gamepad Option, but the X Blinks when i connect the Controller, so maybe its got not enough power over USB?
At least i have the Pyra working again..
As I already mentionned, Debian for Aarch64 doesn't have joystick kernel support for some reason (probably just aimed at server in datacenters).

Ok, so Emulation maybe better on DebianHF on OMAP5? (4G4GB PreePreeOrder Edition Dark Chrome) ^^
The Phytium was yesterday quite usefull to fill up a new Pyra2 Micro SD Card whit the Roms..

I installed Pop!_OS 22.04 on my Star Lite Mk III (Pentium Silver N5000) laptop and looks like I have 4K Youtube playback working with Firefox.
Although stats for nerds still reports a lot of dropped frames, it looks good enough to my eyes (although tested on the 1080p screen).

Now I was hoping I could get hardware video acceleration working with the AMD RX550, but it seems there is no support for VP9.
vainfo doesn't list VP9 as supported.
h264high and HEVC are listed, even for encoding.

You can force Youtube to send h264, but that means you are stuck at 1080p.
So it looks like we will be stuck at 1440p for YouTube.

I will test if I can get a cheap USB capture card working with OBS.
Hopefully we can get hardware acceleration working for recording h264.

Are you sure you meant to post all that in this thread? This thread is for discussion of the arm-based Phytium PC.
I started my post with the Star Lite as reference.

I'm running Ubuntu 22.04 on my Phytium and you can install and run vainfo to see what is supported on the AMD RX550 in the Phytium PC.
There are people who were hoping they could get YouTube running in 4K, but it looks like we don't have VP9 support. And the RX550 is so old, AV1 is out of the question.
But who knows we can get hardware video acceleration working in OBS.
It seems OBS on Wayland is a challenge. Perhaps there is some other problem (too), but so far OBS doesn't start for me.

Ar right. I have no udea what the star lite is so I ignored that. My computer can play vp9 despite having no discrete graphics chip, although I transcode all videos down to the native resolution of this screen which is some 600 pixels high only. I do sometimes have do shut down my web browser if it's taking a lot of CPU, but there's not a lot of differenece in that between mp4 (which I assume is h264) and webm (h265 or vp9) files. I assume in all cases the CPU is decoding the video format to something better supported by the GPU, although when it does degrade a lot of video errors are visible rather than I've ever seen OpenGL gemoetry errors, so I suspect it's firing bitmaps at the graphics component of my CPU. As long as the CPU can decode the vidro to bitmaps in 1/framerate it should be fine (I also transcode my videos down to 25fps max for playback on my video server which is Core 1 Duo based). I switched to using vlc based playback when mplayer started being too slow on this machine, but that even seems to apply to old h264 based videos so I think that's a regression on my 32bit machine, rather than videos getting too complex.

Quick question, as I still have 10 Phytiums left I want to sell:
What power supply do you guys use? I know that one customer pointed out that the included one is too weak and leads to crashes, but which ones have you been using that works reliable?

Im still using the Chinese Power Suppy whit a Adapter, thanks to some difference on older European Power Systems that varry between 240 and 230 Volt (in fact: i have an OLD Ventilator that was "Made in West Germany", and got 240 Volt Input), its works this way..
But as i still didnt had the time, to learn more about ARM and Linux Stuff, its still only a quite Fast Office and Internet Computer, and ditnt got used for Games....
But if you found a more decent Power Supply, i think i would also put in on my next Dragonbox Order where also the new Pyra Case Batterie Compartment have to be included ^^

I bought a random 90W power supply on AliExpress, just to be sure (but didn't had too much issue with the supplied one).

1654519790017.png

Horizon Chase Turbo running with Steam, using latest box86+box64, on my Phytium PC (running Debian testing). Game is super smooth, even at 1440p.

Hey @matzesu , have you seen this
I don't understand what he is saying, but he is playing some Farm Simulator 2013 on a Pi/400, using Wine & Box86 (and also some more modern version on Steam I think). He is using Pi-Apps to install wine/box86 and Steam, but it's not mandatory. Also, keep in mind the Phytium PC has a more power CPU and a much more powerfull video card!

I think i found a different solution: Lutris: Its an Opensource Gaming Plattform and i just installed Alwas Awakening from my GOG Library on this Phytium PC..
I wonder if something else will also run, like Stardew Vally, the Deponia Games, or Maybe Oblivion?
Steam over Lutris put some Error that the Prefix isnt there, but GOG seems to run..

EDIT: Only Alwas Awakening was starting, the Linux Version of Stardew Vally ditnt start..

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
I only did try these 2 Games out, and Rigs of Rods where the App Downloaded the Linux Version, but it ditnt start..

I wonder how this even work: The Lutris was from the Debian ARM Repo so it should only run the ARM Stuff? How dos it work together whit Box86? Dos it see: Oh there is Box86/64 on this Computer, i can use it? , or would this need the X86 Linux Version of Lutris?

Is the Phytium even good enough cooled for these Experiments whit these temperatures from outside?

I played the DooM reboot on this minipc, don't worry....

Box86 and Box64 work transparently. Once installed, they are just used automatically by the system when needed. So lutris (it's a python app) will just try to launch the stuffs, and box86/box64 will be used automaticaly. You can have Lutris showing you the log of the launch.
Also, be sure to use laest version of box86 and box64, I fixes stuffs every week...

So to get the latest version of Box, i just have to apt update /apt upgrade via Terminal? I think i will look a bit more the next weekend..

Back