Phoneme For Wiz

Mr 2X

Website
lostsite.altervista.org
PhoneME SDL is a GP2X port by -zaxxon- that use SDL and based on Sun's phoneME project. It can run Java/J2ME games developed for mobile phones.

As demonstrated here, it works without any changes even on Wiz. If you want to try on the fly a pair of mobile games, you can download Mister Hachi or Opposite Lock 3D Racing and only extract the folders on SD root.

To run any other game, you must install it (note that for now phoneME only supports midi music and phone tones, then other music formats/sound effect won't be played).

How to install and run a game

- Download  phoneME SDL v. 1.0.1 (the last version available) and extract "midi" and "phoneME" folder on the SD root.

- Download a free (*ahem*) mobile game to install: it only needs the .jar file and I recommend the versions for Nokia N95, N96, N97, N-Gage or any other with 240×320 / 320x240 resolution

- Just put jar file into "phoneME" and edit/make a .gpe script (such as "install_game.gpe" included) writing game name in it (I remember you that's case sensitive and you must use a text editor that supports UNIX/Linux format e.g. NotePad++). For this example I use "Worms.jar":

Code:
unset J2ME_GP2X_REVERSE
cd /mnt/sd/phoneME/bin/arm
./installMidlet ../../Worms.jar > ../../Worms.installed.txt
sync
cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

- Run install gpe and a warning screen'll appear for a few seconds about "This application don't use the screen and bla bla bla": it's normal. Now, the game's installed and MIDlet ID is indicated in the text file (in this case "Worms.installed.txt"). This ID is only a number that begins by 2 (so the next installed game'll have 3 and so on). If something went wrong, message error will be in the same text file.

- To run the new game, it needs make a gpe with key mapping and rotation setting (like "Dweller.gpe" included). Most of phone games runs with 240×320 orientation, for this you must add "export J2ME_GP2X_REVERSE=1″ (without that set, game runs with 320×240 normal orientation). The following example is taken from Mister Hachi (note that value 2 after "./runMidlet" that's the game ID):

Code:
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYU=-3
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUL=49
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYL=-2
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDL=51
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYD=-4
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDR=49
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYR=-1
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUR=55
export J2ME_GP2X_START=-7
export J2ME_GP2X_SELECT=-6
export J2ME_GP2X_LEFT=52
export J2ME_GP2X_RIGHT=54
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTA=42
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTB=32
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTX=-5
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTY=-8
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLU=-5
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLD=-5
export J2ME_GP2X_REVERSE=1
cd bin/arm
./runMidlet 2
sync
cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu

- For a full list of phone value keys see the "ReadMe.txt", bearing in mind that "J2ME_GP2X_JOYC   – Joystick CENTER (PRESS)" it doesn't exist on Wiz console (it was stick-click on GP2X F100). An example of not rotated game is Opposite Lock 3D Racing.

- Saved the previous gpe file as "Worms.gpe" (i.e. GameName.gpe), just launch it for play. If you prefer, you can delete .jar file after installing the game.

- To remove an installed game, you have to launch by script or by Termula2X this command:

Code:
removeMidlet <ID number>

While to list name and ID of the installed games, the command is "listMidlets". Both these are into "phoneME/bin/arm" folder.

If something isn't clear, read the "ReadMe.txt" in phoneME.

I know that's not easy this way, and there would be a "frontend" called pME_selector more user-friendly. But to work it needs that someone ports kounch's Selector to the Wiz.

Another alternative is Cli_install_game script by bman, but it requires Termula2X.

(This HowTo is taken from http://lostsite.alte...org/wiz/?p=1336 and based on "ReadMe.txt" infos from phoneME folder).

EDIT: Some corrections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everybody concerned for this. :)

All we need now is for somebody to port a selector for it.
A couple of little things though, is there anyway to get rid of the white bars and will it work if the 'phoneME' & 'midi' folders are in the 'game' folder (rather than the root)?

Cheers, Neil

A couple of little things though, is there anyway to get rid of the white bars and will it work if the 'phoneME' & 'midi' folders are in the 'game' folder (rather than the root)?

What white bars ? Perhaps the game you're trying has a resolution less than 320x240. What games are ?

You can put "phoneME" in game folder or elsewhere (instead I don't recommend to move "midi" dir from root). But you have to edit install & run gpe script with correct path (you can use relative path such as in Mister Hachi).

If the idea is to show single title in "Wiz Game" section, you can put .gpe to run it and make .ini file for this last one.
(indeed it's sufficient only .ini file in "game" folder with appropriate path)

I've only run Doom RPG (240x320 version) on it and it runs perfectly apart from the white bar at the bottom of the game screen (the left hand side of the Wiz screen as it's rotated)

Cheers, Neil

Edit: The controls are very touchy, can this be fixed?

EDIT: Nvrm, I got it to run but it seems games using the Mascot Capsule micro3D library don't work.

Neil L said:
I've only run Doom RPG (240x320 version) on it and it runs perfectly apart from the white bar at the bottom of the game screen (the left hand side of the Wiz screen as it's rotated)

Yeah - white bar at the bottom of screen

gunna try another games running on this engine (orcs and elves etc)

I try DoomRPG too, and I saw the white bar: in other games there isn't, and I don't know if it can be fixed.
If someone will work on this project, probably he/she can upgrade it (with new Sun' sourcecodes, improving controls, fixing bugs, etc.) 

However, about controls this are all the possible mobile phone values:

Code:
KEYMAP_KEY_BACKSPACE    = 8
KEYMAP_KEY_POUND        = 35
KEYMAP_KEY_ASTERISK     = 42
KEYMAP_KEY_0            = 48
KEYMAP_KEY_1            = 49
KEYMAP_KEY_2            = 50
KEYMAP_KEY_3            = 51
KEYMAP_KEY_4            = 52
KEYMAP_KEY_5            = 53
KEYMAP_KEY_6            = 54
KEYMAP_KEY_7            = 55
KEYMAP_KEY_8            = 56
KEYMAP_KEY_9            = 57
KEYMAP_KEY_SPACE        = 32
KEYMAP_KEY_UP           = -1
KEYMAP_KEY_DOWN         = -2
KEYMAP_KEY_LEFT         = -3
KEYMAP_KEY_RIGHT        = -4
KEYMAP_KEY_SELECT       = -5
KEYMAP_KEY_SOFT1        = -6
KEYMAP_KEY_SOFT2        = -7
KEYMAP_KEY_CLEAR        = -8
KEYMAP_KEY_SEND         = -10
KEYMAP_KEY_END          = -11
KEYMAP_KEY_POWER        = -12 
KEYMAP_KEY_GAMEA        = -13
KEYMAP_KEY_GAMEB        = -14
KEYMAP_KEY_GAMEC        = -15
KEYMAP_KEY_GAMED        = -16
KEYMAP_KEY_GAME_UP      = -17
KEYMAP_KEY_GAME_DOWN    = -18
KEYMAP_KEY_GAME_LEFT    = -19
KEYMAP_KEY_GAME_RIGHT   = -20

You can custom them editing .gpe file that runs the game, bearing in mind this:

Code:
J2ME_GP2X_JOYU   - Joystick UP
J2ME_GP2X_JOYUL  - Joystick UP-LEFT
J2ME_GP2X_JOYL   - Joystick LEFT
J2ME_GP2X_JOYDL  - Joystick DOWN-LEFT
J2ME_GP2X_JOYD   - Joystick DOWN
J2ME_GP2X_JOYDR  - Joystick DOWN-RIGHT
J2ME_GP2X_JOYR   - Joystick RIGHT
J2ME_GP2X_JOYUR  - Joystick UP-RIGHT
J2ME_GP2X_START  - Button MENU
J2ME_GP2X_SELECT - Button SELECT
J2ME_GP2X_LEFT   - Shoulder LEFT
J2ME_GP2X_RIGHT  - Shoulder RIGHT
J2ME_GP2X_BUTA   - Button A
J2ME_GP2X_BUTB   - Button B
J2ME_GP2X_BUTX   - Button X
J2ME_GP2X_BUTY   - Button Y
J2ME_GP2X_VOLU   - Button VOLUME+
J2ME_GP2X_VOLD   - Button VOLUME-

For example, if you don't want map diagonals key, delete "export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUL", "export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUR", "export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDL", "export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDR" from gpe script. Or to change Vol+ & Vol- with Soft1 & Soft2  buttons, edit in this way:

export J2ME_GP2X_VOLU=-7
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLD=-6

EDIT: Nvrm, I got it to run but it seems games using the Mascot Capsule micro3D library don't work.

Probably it should be ported also this library http://www.mascotcapsule.com/en/ or something to make working.

Hellooah!

The same problem with white bar also seems to have Orcs and Elves (1)

Running game list(tried): DooM RPG, Wolfenstein RPG, Orcs and Elves and Destroy all Humans 2 ;)

I just tried Doom RPG II no white bar on that one, Wolfenstein RPG runs perfectly (apart from the touchy controls) and if you can find the e71 version it's in 320x240 (so no rotation)

I think the white bar is where select etc. is on the bottom of the phone screen judging by Doom RPG II. (If it was black it would be better)

Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
Wolfenstein RPG runs perfectly (apart from the touchy controls)

if u have *ehm* small fingers, u can map "shoot" button to MENU btn and it is much more comfortable B)

EDIT: someone heard those MIDI sounds? I not :(

By 'touchy' controls I mean overreactive. (Would underclocking solve this?)
I've got some sounds, but not a lot.

Cheers, Neil

For alternative key mappings, I quote bman:

Keymaps I tested for various games in this thread.

Just a hypothesis: perhaps controls are overreactive because they are designed for mobile phones keypad that is less sensitive.
You could try to delete diagonals setting and to see if Dpad controls go better (I know that's a poor solution).

Mr 2X said:
Just a hypothesis: perhaps controls are overreactive because they are designed for mobile phones keypad that is less sensitive.
You could try to delete diagonals setting and to see if Dpad controls go better (I know that's a poor solution).
I've tried deleting the diagonals and the controls are still very touchy, maybe if key repeat could be slowed down/stopped as an option. (Underclocking does help a bit)

I ran a game earlier on the wrong screen rotation setting and all the parts of the Wiz screen that aren't used are white, this is probably what the bar on Doom RPG is.
(I'm worried that these white bars are going to cause screen burn, if only there was a way to change the background to black)

Cheers, Neil

Edit: Another question, do you need timidity? (If so where does it need to go and does the midi/timidity.cfg need to be edited)

SplinterGU (of GP32Spain community) has repacked phoneME with his autoinstaller script (link):

phoneME v. 1.0.1 + Autoinstaller

To use place .jar game files in "install" folder (IMPORTANT: game names must not contain any space or special chars, and .jar extension must be lowercase).

Launch "install.gpe" that is in "phoneME" folder: automatically every game will be installed and its .gpe and .ini files will be created (process time depends on the number of jar games).

By default, screen and keys are configured for 240x320 rotated mode, and to change this you have to edit "genericME-install.sh" (or .gpe game script). 

Once games are installed, you can find them in "installed" folder (if you want you can delete .jar files), and uninstall script in "uninstall" folder.

About Timidity lib, I think that a modified version is "midi" folder, and it should be enough.

EDIT: I can't try this installer, I hope if there is problems it'll be resolved

Not having much luck with the autoinstaller. It creates the gpe files and everything but when I run any game it just exits back to the Wiz menu. Maybe it's the games? I made sure they were all 240x320. Anyone have better luck with this?

I had the same problem as you with it at first. Then I google translated the original thread.

You have to have "phoneme" and "midi" at the root of your SD. Then run the install and it will move the .jar files to "installed", make uninstall gpe's of the games and the games will be installed in "/games/phoneme". Then you just run them from there.

Does anyone have the phone game Action Hero 3D? I got a charger for my old phone so I could download it to my computer. However, it was deactivated to save space on my phone and I can't reactivate it since that phone doesn't have service.

Back