PETA claims that Super Mario 3D Land endorses killing tanuki

To be fair to PETA it seems to me that this is a rather clever way to gain media exposure relating to the barbarity of the real trade in tanuki fur rather than a direct assault on the Mario franchise.

As someone with a fairly ambivalent attitude to animal cruelty, I'll happily eat eggs without checking they don't come from battery farmed chickens, can't see a lot wrong with hunting with hounds etc., I still find the fur trade to be pretty repugnant for the reasons shown in the video on the PETA site.

If the campaign stops people wearing fur then good luck to them, if, however it stops people from playing Mario then they've got a lot to answer for.

What about pokemon. If there is any game that encourages animal violence its Pokemon :p

Pokemon is basically Cock Fighting in disguise. It's a wonder Peta missed that one, it's not like you could have ignored the phenomenon at it's peak ;)

Aaah just like the Super Meat Boy Debacle only this time they go for a big guy and not an unknown indie developer (which funny enough helped them more than it hurt).

"How many Peta members does it take to change a lightbulb?....

None, Peta can't change anything."

(Source)

Last edited by a moderator:
In Minecraft, I killed alot of Cows, Chickens, Sheeps, Pigs and all just for fun and for their meat and feathers and wool and leather... I even built machines to kill them and I don't feel guilty at all. :D

What about pokemon. If there is any game that encourages animal violence its Pokemon :p
Hahaha, you beat them within an inch of their lives to... Make them your friends? LOL.

To be fair to PETA it seems to me that this is a rather clever way to gain media exposure relating to the barbarity of the real trade in tanuki fur rather than a direct assault on the Mario franchise.
They should try to stop being hypocrites first, though.

I still find the fur trade to be pretty repugnant for the reasons shown in the video on the PETA site.
As do I, but it's rich coming from PETA, who are themselves equally repugnant.

Taking animals from shelters, euthanising them, and then throwing them in dumpsters is pretty nasty, for example, as is getting guide dogs taken away from blind people, and so is killing around 90% of the animals people trust them to re-home and putting them in a giant freezer which they destroy the bodies from every once in a while.

If the campaign stops people wearing fur then good luck to them, if, however it stops people from playing Mario then they've got a lot to answer for.
They quite happily let their own celebrity endorsers wear it, so they ought to be looking closer to home before aiming stuff like that (and the "Your Mommy Kills Animals" comic, and so on) at children.

Pokemon is basically Cock Fighting in disguise. It's a wonder Peta missed that one, it's not like you could have ignored the phenomenon at it's peak ;)
This is something commonly claimed by those from the West, but it's not actually true. ;) Pokemon is actually based on the phase of catching fighting crickets/other insects that almost all Japanese children go through.

This is something commonly claimed by those from the West, but it's not actually true. ;) Pokemon is actually based on the phase of catching fighting crickets/other insects that almost all Japanese children go through.

No doubt, but the Pokemon creatures are often mammal, avian or reptile. Sometimes all three at once. And a few nondescript ones that are apparently sentient and even capable of communicating but are still forced to fight to inflate their captors ego, and throttle each other at competitive events. If they were really keen on fighting they wouldn't need to be caught, you could just wander into the forest and scoop up all the half dead ones lying around. Ban this sick filth! Save the Pokemon!

^ Haha. :lol:

I return with (obvious) quoteage;

Mario often takes the appearance of certain animals and objects in his games. These have included a frog, a penguin, a balloon and even a metallic version of himself. These lighthearted and whimsical transformations give Mario different abilities and make his games fun to play. The different forms that Mario takes make no statement beyond the games themselves.

From here.

EDIT: And there's a good write-up here, too.

Majesco did, too (with a delightfully cute press release), back when PETA were doing the "Cooking Mama Kills Animals" thing, too.

I guess where business is concerned, responding to extremists who are claiming that your company and products endorse brutality is a good idea.

Don't get me started on the RSPCA. Whilst not fanatics, my personal experience is that they don't necessarily have the animals' welfare at heart. (I've also heard it said, second-hand, that they practically haemorrhage volunteers for similar reasons.)

Sadly this is what society has become. I saw this crap a few days ago, and I didn't even bother to read the article. I knew PETA was out of their damn minds. These guys are just looking for a good way to get their names in the papers, nothing more, nothing less.

This world currently has real problems, and this is where Peta is deciding to foucus it's time, funds and energy. I always thought they did good works once upon a time, and then you realize they are no differant than any other extremest group. They are trying to force there beliefs and ideals on everybody, and if you don't agree, you are wrong. Such bullshit.

Chris

Any stories of Greenpeace driving Hummers or Winnebagos?

^ I don't know, but I do know that one of the early members left and dissociated from it because he felt it had become motivated by politics rather than science, and the like.

Back