PETA claims that Super Mario 3D Land endorses killing tanuki

Prometheus

Yes. You did read that right. PETA (a US group who, for those unfamiliar with them, are quite well-known for not practising what they preach and for aiming inappropriate extremist messages at young children) are blasting Super Mario 3D Land for sending a message to gamers that killing animals for their fur is ok.

Never mind that the games have always made it clear that 1: these suits are costumes, not furs, and 2: are magical and come from magical leaves (which play off of ancient Japanese mythology relating to the tanuki), and that the Tanuki Suit first appeared in Super Mario Bros. 3, in 1988 (Japan)/1990 (North America)/1991 (PAL regions).

Apparently they feel so strongly about this non-existent encouragement of animal-killing, that they felt a need to make an inappropriate and gory website (aimed at kids, as is their modus operandi) whilst blatantly infringing on trademarks and putting words in people's mouths.

(Note to the mods: This post is in Off Topic General instead of Other Consoles because it's more about the stupidity of it all, rather than their gory Flash game.)

Last edited by a moderator:
From their site: "By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur."

Eating mushrooms is fine. But Tanooki suits are bad?

Just another special interest group that has too much money and time.

I'm amazed that these nutbars haven't thrown a fit about the Mega Man X games, yet - the bosses in those are always animaloid creations. :p

0_0

I used to be a fan of PETA until I realized that they're just a bunch of extremist nutjobs. Parading around naked isn't going to change things for the better.

I find the tag "ridiculous" on this topic quite priceless. ^_^

The controlling elite fish nuts using crazy ideas, they just got a nice catch there. Didn't you know Nintendo is super wii-vil?

Is it bad that I'm still playing the rediculous PeTA game? I NEED TO WIN :angry:

0_0

I used to be a fan of PETA until I realized that they're just a bunch of extremist nutjobs. Parading around naked isn't going to change things for the better.

Parading naked models will certainly make things better . What were you thinking - lol.

Peta started to jump on mario? Even after the 20+ games of making turtle stew?

Peta are a pack of hypocritical dangerous loons. They are constantly looking for things to take issue with, a core set of principles isn't enough - they have a chaotic scattergun approach (Pets are bad too btw, set your moggy free and flush your fish). It makes the celebrities who endorse Peta (and there are still many) look like idiots who have no idea what & who they are promoting.

Somebody show them Fallout (any of them).

//Yeah, Gecko slaughter for pelts! %)

/facepalm

oh no, don't show them skyrim, where you can hunt animals and ... oh... kill dragons! they are animals too, you know ^^

Better not tell them about Monster Hunter, either... Guess what you do in that. :p

What about pokemon. If there is any game that encourages animal violence its Pokemon :p

Back