Permission To Mention Pandora At Akademy

TomCooksey

Still Fresh
I'm giving a talk at Akademy 2008 next week and I'd like to mention the Pandora as one of the great up-coming, open source friendly, mobile devices.

Is that ok?

Details of the talk here.

Tom Cooksey said:
I'm giving a talk at Akademy 2008 next week and I'd like to mention the Pandora as one of the great up-coming, open source friendly, mobile devices.

Is that ok?

Well, I can't give you a yes or no, seeing as how I am not part of Craigx and Co. But I would assume you should be able to. It's not like the existence of the Pandora is a well-guarded secret.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't speak on behalf of the hard working developers & other powers that be, but I would think they'd enjoy the publicity. Of course it may be best to get an OK from someone just to make sure that anything you cite about the Pandora project is as accurate as can be which may be the only possible concern I could think of.

Tom Cooksey said:

Is that ok?

Don't quote me but I think it is a great idea, drop me a mail if you want to know anything specific.
Mike or Craig would be the 'formal' people to check with but I guess the one problem, in context, is that QT is not currently running or the focus ;).

DJWillis said:
the one problem, in context, is that QT is not currently running or the focus ;).
That might change quickly if he mentiones it in this talk ;)

But yeah go ahead, the KDE devs are a pretty mature bunch, so I don't expect any problems.

Julius said:
DJWillis said:
the one problem, in context, is that QT is not currently running or the focus ;).
That might change quickly if he mentiones it in this talk ;)

But yeah go ahead, the KDE devs are a pretty mature bunch, so I don't expect any problems.

Yeah, Pandora should be capable to be THE showoff-device for "KDE4-mobile". True, Nokia's tablet-pc's have some advantages, like being much more common and probably some former trolltech-devs that will work fulltime on maemo-integration for money. Still the pandora should make benefit of most of their developments + will have a much more open firmware. Also, whoever buys a pandora will have a handheld-console + a "tablet-pc/umpc" in one device, what makes it really interesting for taking along all the time. This combination is what is actually fascinating me about the pandora, and I guess there will be a lot of geeks on akademy that will see it just like me :)

DJWillis said:
Don't quote me but I think it is a great idea, drop me a mail if you want to know anything specific.
Mike or Craig would be the 'formal' people to check with but I guess the one problem, in context, is that QT is not currently running or the focus ;).
Yeah, yeah, Qt's evil, I know. :rolleyes: Surely though, the more developers working on it, the better?

We're a part of Nokia now. In no way can we work on the Pandora in office hours, it's a competing product! Any work done by Trolls on the Pandora is done as a volunteer, on their own time. Please remember that before any Troll-bashing or Qt-Flaming starts. :)

Tom Cooksey said:
DJWillis said:
Yeah, yeah, Qt's evil, I know. :rolleyes: Surely though, the more developers working on it, the better?

We're a part of Nokia now. In no way can we work on the Pandora in office hours, it's a competing product! Any work done by Trolls on the Pandora is done as a volunteer, on their own time. Please remember that before any Troll-bashing or Qt-Flaming starts. :)

I think you got DJWillis wrong ;) Pandora's not going to make use of qt in it's basic firmware, that's all... The community would be very happy to see a good qt-environment available on the Pandora, as much as a dedicated KDE4-mod. Still no full DE would be good as the default starter, since the games should have access to as much RAM as possible and run in a consistent environment... Running several programs at once together with a game could very much influence the behaviour of the games and nobody wants that on a handheld-console. So every DE would have to be started seperatly and closed for most native games and some emulators. Still probably a lot of pandora-owners would make use of DE's, so please, attrackt some KDE-geeks of Pandora on your talk :).

What get's into my mind: If there would be any possibility to encapsulate the KDE-environment and suspend it to SD while playing a game and restore after finishing the game... that would just be awesome :)

conso said:
What get's into my mind: If there would be any possibility to encapsulate the KDE-environment and suspend it to SD while playing a game and restore after finishing the game... that would just be awesome :)
I like that idea. We need the OS to be as slim as possible if we're trying to run an n64 emu (or something intensive) but we also don't want to sacrifice functionality.

Tom Cooksey said:

Whooo there tiger ;).

No bashing intended. I stay a long way away from framework wars :) and stick to kernel hacking without a GUI :p.

There is no reason NOT to see Qt on the Pandora in fact the more FOSS stuff the better, I used to hack a lot with OPIE back in a previous life so am well aware of ancient versions (at least) of the Qt framework. All I was getting at was it is not part of the default firmware as it stands and is not running on the current dev boards (if you think about it you could argue it is not being used for the inverse of the reasons you state).

Also, for the record it may be worth stating that the Pandora work I am doing is for my own 'enjoyment'. I am not on anybody's payroll and do this in addition to my day job on the side ;).

DJWillis said:
Whooo there tiger ;).

No bashing intended. I stay a long way away from framework wars :) and stick to kernel hacking without a GUI :p.
Sorry, knee-jerk reacion. I'm just used to having abuse hurled at me, just for being a Qt developer. :(

DJWillis said:
Also, for the record it may be worth stating that the Pandora work I am doing is for my own 'enjoyment'. I am not on anybody's payroll and do this in addition to my day job on the side ;).
Yup, I definatly wasn't trying to imply anything else. Appologies for any mis-understanding.

Tom Cooksey said:
Sorry, knee-jerk reacion. I'm just used to having abuse hurled at me, just for being a Qt developer. :(

You can thank the license Qt has been under up until Qt4.

I think it is a much more fully featured API than GTK, just the weird licensing and subsequent lack of (free) multiplatform support has been a real show stopper for developers. Good to see OpenGL ES being forced in there.

Edit: That and the GPL police criticize every other license out there, regardless of type.

TaG said:
"Permission to speak, sir,"said Jones. "I may be old but I can still give them the old cold steel, and they don't like it up'em, you know, they do not like it."
Lance Corporal Jones, Dads Army

LOL! I hadn't realised there were so many Brits on this forum. :)

/me Longs to be back home in good old blighty.

Back