Pdrc #3.33 - Game Coding Compo Started

Kojote

Certified Guru
Staff member
Website
www.pdroms.de
To celebrate Kojote's first quarter century of life on 20th June 2005, here is another competition. PD Roms Coding Competition #3.33. The compo will start on the 20th June 2005 @ 00:00 GMT +2 and will end 25 days later on the 14th July 2005 @ 23:59 GMT +2.

Create a classic (8-bit graphics era, everything between 1 and 256 colors) looking game (remake or original ideas are accepted). It just has to graphically look like an 8-bit game (C64, MSX, NES, ...) which does not mean it technicaly has to be one. The game can be of ANY (!!!) genre. The design of the sound/music issues is up to you, but keep in mind it has to fit into your game.

There is one prize, which is a "GameKing" (probably the Backlight version) with few Games.

Allowed systems: Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Color, Intellivision, Neo Geo Pocket Classic, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Odyssey 2, Wonderswan Classic, Wonderswan Color, Game Gear, NES, Master System, Pokemon Mini, Watara Supervision, Gameboy Advance, Megadrive/Genesis, GP32, PC Engine, SNES, Dreamcast, Arcade Hardware (NeoGeo, NeoGeo CD, CPS1), Sega 32x, Playstation 1, SegaCD, Virtual Boy, Vectrex

SPREAD THE WORD TO YOUR FRIENDS :-] ... and happy coding!

Sidenote: Yes I know it is not the 20th yet, there are a few hours to go, but I have to start my night-shift work soon.

http://www.pdroms.de/pdrc3_33-rules.php

Yay retrogames !!! can't wait to see the 250th pacman-bubblebobble-galaga-asteroid clone! I love these kind of ambitious projects! Drmd? Yeti3D? osnes9x? ram upgrade? how boring! If you send me your gp32_console I can underclock it @ 25Mhz for more retrogames frenzy! <_<

Not much to do at work, eh? :D

@Shikigami: The gp32 community does not need dumb idiots like you so do as Kojote says!

<_< You know this shouldn`t be remake compo, just a compo where you create a game with an 8bit retro look... also, people that complain about free stuff ARE idiots!

Seems a shame to put GP32 on the list of platforms there, since all the others are real classics.. ie: IS there bonus points for coding on a NES and running it in a NES emu on the GP32, rather than just writing on the GP32? If not, it'd be foolish to try and make it for a real console (much more pain :) -- so shoudl take GP32 off the list, so people have to code for a classic console.

But I know you can't, since then you'd get only 1 or 2 entries ;)

Hmm.. Atari ST isn't listed, so how am I supposed to write something? ;)

I can make a pretty shitty game on an Atari ST in short order :)

jeff

Seems a shame to put GP32 on the list of platforms there, since all the others are real classics.. ie: IS there bonus points for coding on a NES and running it in a NES emu on the GP32, rather than just writing on the GP32? If not, it'd be foolish to try and make it for a real console (much more pain :) -- so shoudl take GP32 off the list, so people have to code for a classic console.

But I know you can't, since then you'd get only 1 or 2 entries ;)

Hmm.. Atari ST isn't listed, so how am I supposed to write something? ;)

I can make a pretty shitty game on an Atari ST in short order :)

jeff

The ST is a computer. No computers are on that list, just consoles :)

You still could make an ST game for us to mess with. Just make sure it works on CaSTaway. You wouldn't win a gameking , just out hearts :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Darn, there goes my idea for making a remake of Asteroids but with cars, on an ST :) Perhaps I'll look into hacking on a NES in the next 5 weeks :p

jeff

Waait, Odyssey 2 is a computer (had a keyboard and BASIC), so by including it you'd almost have to include the Atari 8bits in there. Seems fishy ;) And how is a GP32 in the same computing power league as a NES -- you can use gcc and modern libs on a GP32, but writing code for an Atari 2600 is a feet few can manage.

jeff

Back