PCSX ReArmed Cheats

Is there any laws behind these cheatpops.db?

I have an urge to make the ultimate cp.db which maybe we ca distribute with PCSX directly.

But I don't know if we can legally distribute?

Some are available on code.google but hosted on scummy servers.

I have started to compile a bigger cheatpops.db

It's got more games with different regions (SLUS/SLES).

I can add more (provided I can find cheats for game). I will need to know what games.

To get game ID - Load rom in PCSX and press Space - top right corner will have game ID (case sensitive!).

How can we go about getting the new .db I'm making into the next PCSX release?

Perhaps contact Notaz directly through PM? I would certainly be interested in grabbing the .db file you're building - it's a good idea you've jumped on mate.

Why not use directly a Gameshark image for cheats support in PCSXReARMed?

I'm using personally cheats in PCSX since R13 and never had any need to use the cheatpops db system.

For those interested: google for PSX Gameshark Version 5 and extract the file (my is named gsv5.img) into SD card psx roms folder. Launch Gameshark, highlight the game you want to use cheats with, select start game with cheats, press Space, go to Extra to change disc and you are ready to play your PSX game with cheats. Gameshark 5 comes preloaded with hundreds of cheats (mostly for USA region games) but is also possible add manually cheat codes for the games which dont appear in the list.

PSX Gameshark codes can be found here:

http://gscentral.org/gamelist.php?sys=35&dev=107

Hmm.... I didn't think that would work without the old hardware. (plug into the back).

AR.jpg

That's awesome news. I'm going to keep working on this file, could be a more legal way to distribute cheats!

Metal gear solid + stealth! Awesome!

Hi everyone

I'm trying to get a cheatpops.db working. I've downloaded the one provided in the links in the previous page and I've stripped out many games that I'm not interested in.

I don't get a "cheats" menu appearing in the root emulator menu.

Even when trying to manually load the cheat file, I get a message saying "failed to load cheats".

I've also tried the complete cheatpops.db file from the zip archive.

In the cheatpops.db file the game IDs are in the format:

SLES_01234

kingoddball mentions above that it's case sensitive.

When hitting space in PCSX the game ID is listed in this format:

sles01234/sles01234

I've tried all formats but it's still not working.

Could anyone post a quick sample of what format I need the game ID in?

Also where do I need to store the cheatpops.db file?

I've tried:

sdcard/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed

sdcard/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed/.pcsx

sdcard/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed/.pcsx/cheats

None of which appear to work.

Any ideas?

Or if anyone has info on the pcsx .cht file format then I would be willing to give that a go as well.

Game-specific cheat files seems like a nice solution.

Cheers, B

Last edited by a moderator:
Which game are you trying exactly?

The file should be in sdcard/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed/ , I can guess game ID doesn't match, or letter case (should be SLES... not sles...). Also note that the menu option will only appear after you load the game. There might be some info in /tmp/pndrun_...out file after you exit the emulator.

The game I'm trying is Quake 2, the PAL version. It's a rip of my own CD in bin/cue format.

I've tried just dropping the original (full) cheatpops.db from the zip file in this thread, into sdcard/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed/

I've also tried lowercase game ID, replacing the _ with a -, removing the _ so the game ID is all one string.

I'm waiting for the game to load and to start an actual new game before looking for the cheats item in the emulator menu.

Do I need to be careful with the charset and leading/trailing space within the cheatpops.db file?

Being able to blast my way through Quake 2 with unlimited ammo and infinite health on a portable console is something I'm very much looking forward to :D

I've got to say, seeing perfect video/audio emulation of PSX games, at full speed, is quite incredible. I've got a 1GHz Pandora and the CPU speed in PCSX is set at 1000. Is it worth dropping that down to, say, 600 or 700 to save battery?

Hmm, it looks like kingoddball's file should just work, as it has everything needed for Q2 PAL (SLES_01534), I'll check.

Edit: make sure you have the latest version (r17), it's displayed on credits screen.

Yep r17, installed from the repo using PNDManager.

Does it matter what my bin/cue files are called?

All games seem to load perfectly.

Does it matter what BIOS I'm using?

I'm using SCPH7502.bin, purely because I happen to know that's the one I had in my old PS1.

Previously I have used cheat codes for Q2 with that bin/cue and BIOS on a PC with psx emulation cheater and ePSXe.

EDIT: Ok strange. Just tried with another game, Rollcage PAL SLES01660, and the cheats menu shows up fine for that. So it might just be a game-specific thing. Rollcage 2 also works.

With Rollcage though the string in the top left corner is "ROLLCAGE/SLES01660"

Rollcage 2 is "ROLLCAGE2/SCES01922"

Quake 2 is "sles01534/sles01534"

At least I know that it can work now and that it might just be this game or those cheat codes.

Does that make any difference?

Solved!!!

I created a cut-down cheatpops.db file with only Quake and Rollcage 1/2, just for my own sanity really.

And edited the _S line for Quake to be...

_S sles01534

Originally it was...

_S SLES_01534

So the case/format does make a difference.

I cannot believe I am able to play PSX games, perfectly, at full-speed, on a hand-held. Amazing work! :D

I have r17. I get failed to load cheats msg. I'm playing Legend Of Dragoon. Below is the dragoon.db I created in notepad, copying from cheatpops.db. What's wrong with it? I edited the _S line so it matches what is shown on screen.

_S SCUS94491
_G Legend Of Dragoon
_C0 MUST BE ON
_L D007A39C ????
_C0 Character Codes\Dart Codes\Infinite HP
_L 800BAEFC 270F
_C0 Character Codes\Dart Codes\Infinite MP
_L 800BAEFE 03E7
_C0 Character Codes\Dart Codes\Infinite SP
_L 800BAF00 03E7
_C0 Character Codes\Dart Codes\Max Level
_L 300BAF06 003C
_C0 Character Codes\Dart Codes\Max Dragoon Level
_L 300BAF07 0005

I found it inconsistent. Sometimes you might need to edit the _S line, sometimes not.

Try it as _S SCUS_94491 first, the default format from cheatpops.db as it might work.

The only one I've had to change so far is for Quake 2 because that was showing up in lower case. For some reason that time I had to change the _S line to lower case AND remove the _ in the game ID.

But in all the other games I've tried, I've left the _ in and it's worked.

On screen it says SCUS94491 /SCUS94491

_S SCUS_94491 did not work

_S SCUS94491 did not work

Which format should I save in? ANSI/Unicode/UTF-8

Below is the dragoon.db I created in notepad
The file should always be named cheatpops.db , it will be autoloaded for you when you load the game. If you want cheats for several games, put them all into that same file.

With a cheatpops.db file, ignore the "Extra stuff > Load PCSX cheats..." menu.

As notaz says, it needs to be named cheatpops.db and it's loaded automatically when you start a game.

If PCSX finds a section in that file matching your game ID then there should be a new "Cheats" item in the main emulator menu when you press the space key.

My working cheatpops.db is in ANSI encoding with Unix line endings (LF only). Also there's a space at the end of each _G line on mine but I don't know if that makes any difference. Mine works, I didn't want to touch it after that :)

I created my own with just the games I'm interested in, copied out of the cheatpops.db linked earlier in this thread.

Check the name of your Bin/Eboot!

When you open PCSX... Load ROM, Top left corner says the Bin/Eboot's actual name (open menu/space bar)

Some of mine say "scxx" (LOWER case) 1111. Others are Upper case.

The cheatpops needs to be the same.

Well, had to be for me.

I always have problems with multi disc games.

MGS and RE2.

First disc is fine on MGS, second - Will not load cheat file. It's in there under right SLES name.

RE2 - Leon disc is there and cheats, Claire (D2) is in there, but will not display.

Strange. Been that way the whole time.

Edit: On R18

Back