PC games recommendations 2019

Games I'm playing that I think your computer can run? (Only games that are fully released I.E. not Public Beta or Early Access are listed)
1. Subnautica: an undersea exploration game. (Game needs at least Hashwell cpu aka 4th gen) claims to be able to run on Intel integrated graphics. Don't know how well it'd work though. NOTICE: game needs at least 20 GB of free space. CAUTION: Game includes depictions of (minor spoiler) your character getting very sick, not for everyone.
2. Reassembly: A top down procedurally generated space exploration and fighting game. You also get to build your ship out of building blocks in whatever shape and configuration you like. No guarantee it'll fly straight though :-D Specs just say 2GHz dual core minimum for cpu and just needs OpenGL 2.1 for graphics so should be fine. Recommends 250 MB of storage so it's pretty small.
3. Star Wars Battlefront II (Classic, 2005): A very solid First Person Shooter, although it is showing it's age. Needs a Pentium 4, so pretty much any modern computer can run it. Only needs 4.3 GB
4. Dust: An Elysian Tail: A really good action adventure game that I really hope gets the sequel they've been promising for a while. You play as Dust a rabbit? <-- Not really sure with no memory of his past. Can't say much else without spoiling it. Intel core 2 duo and Direct X 10 (or openGL 3 if you're running Linux) 1.5 GB install.
5. Undertale, You play as a child who fell down a hole and finds a world filled with monsters. I can't say anything else because of spoilers other than don't look at any let's plays or wiki's. Game doesn't even list a minimum or reccomended CPU and it's made using GameMaker so it should be able to run on just about anything modern. 200 MB install. WARNING: The game contains imagery that may be harmful to players with photosensitive epilepsy or a similar condition.
6. Ground Control Anthology: One of my favourite Real Time Strategy games. It's from 2000, you should be fine. NOTICE: Game contains blood. NOTICE 2: Game may not render correctly in hardware mode, software mode is available but is limited to lower resolutions and likes to crash at the most inconvenient times if you raise the quality settings. 4 GB install.
7. Barony: A first person dungeon crawler with online capabilities. Runs on my CC Pandora (with 4GB swap) you'll be fine. 800 MB install.
8. FTL: Faster Than Light: You captian your starship fleeing from some rebels in a randomly generated universe. You will die. Alot. And it's a roguelike so you loose your Ship's customizations on death. 2GHz CPU and 175 MB install.
9. Axiom Verge: I don't really know how to describe this game other than to call it an Action Adventure Platformer with a focus on "glitching" the game. It's better than it sounds, just be warned that it doesn't give hints so if you pick it up after a while of not playing you'll have no idea what you were doing (Talking from experience). Needs Intel Pentium E2180, your i5 should be plenty sufficient. Also reccomends integrated graphics. 300 MB install. Controller recommended.
10. And last but not least:
Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb: an older point and click adventure game that I really enjoyed. You control Riff, an anthropomorphic fox who was falsely accused of stealing the orb of storms, an important relic. The point of the game is to clear his name and rescue his girlfriend who was taken hostage. Game is from 1994 so you should be good specs wise. 600 MB install. They've been promising to make a sequel at some point, and there is an active web comic written by one of the original writers.

Have fun!

Reccomondations based on:
Dell Inspiron 15 5584
Intel Core i5-8265U
Intel UHD Graphics 620
256GB SSD
8GB RAM

Edit: The Intel Core i5-8265U is faster than my CPU. If you have this CPU you are guaranteed to have enough CPU power to play these games (My poor 7th gen i7-7700HQ is showing it's age ;-D your only bottleneck would be the GPU as I'm running a GTX 1070)

Last edited:
Well, no special Steam sale showed up today, but I'm still suspicious. I'm thinking Thursday now.

You see, if I admit I'm wrong too early, it could happen afterwards, and then I would be double wrong.

Reactions: rSl
Doesn't steam have a mechanism for giving back money if a steam sale shows up within a few days, warrants investigation.

Edit:
Found it: Quote from website
I bought a game right before it went on sale. Can I get a refund and repurchase it at the sale price?
Yes.

If you have not already requested a refund, make sure the purchase is eligible and submit a request here.

Please note that approved refunds may take up to 7 days to process.

I'm being tempted by Oxygen Not Included right now. I'm pretty sure my laptop wouldn't be able to handle it at late game stages. I'm also pretty sure I would never even make it to late game stages, due to my general ineptitude at survival games.

It has fourteen different overlays according to one review. Wanna know where all the germs are in your space colony? There's an overlay for that. Be careful though, there's no unknowing.

I'm being tempted by Oxygen Not Included right now. I'm pretty sure my laptop wouldn't be able to handle it at late game stages. I'm also pretty sure I would never even make it to late game stages, due to my general ineptitude at survival games.

It has fourteen different overlays according to one review. Wanna know where all the germs are in your space colony? There's an overlay for that. Be careful though, there's no unknowing.

Assuming the specs of your computer I guessed are accurate (Intel UHD Graphics 620) your graphics card is 53% faster than the minimum recommended graphics card for oxygen not included. Try looking up your computer's specs (either on the box if you still have it or some sort of about this machine dialogue in your os). I got the stats from: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...Graphics-620-Mobile-Kaby-Lake-R/2168vsm320744
[doublepost=1564519916,1564519375][/doublepost]I find this line in the oxygen not included EULA disturbing:
14. Consent to Monitoring
When you are using the Game, the Game may monitor your computer’s random access memory (RAM) for unauthorized third-party programs that interact with the Game and are prohibited by this Agreement. If the Game detects an unauthorized third-party program, the Game may, without notice to you, communicate that information to us, including your Account information, your internet protocol (IP) address, details about the unauthorized third-party program, and the time and date that the unauthorized third-party program was detected. If the Game detects the use of an unauthorized third-party program, your access to the Game may be terminated. You hereby consent to this monitoring.
It's a single player game why should they care if you cheat, and what else is the game transmitting?

Agreed. I miss Game Genie. I haven't gotten worse at games, the games themselves have just gotten stricter. :(

Agreed. I miss Game Genie. I haven't gotten worse at games, the games themselves have just gotten stricter. :(
You might like Celeste then, sorry completely forgot about that game. Requires i3 and OpenGL 3 so you should be able to play it. It has an "assist" mode that lets you change game mechanics while still getting achievements as far as I know. It's a platformer and I believe another controller recommended game.

Just to note, that Dust runs on ODroid using FNA on ARM trick. Undertale and FTL runs on ODroid using Box86 (even on Pandora, but CPU is too slow). And it seems Celeste runs on RPi3 using FNA on ARM trick. So I guess all this games will run on any recent laptop with integrated graphics.

So, Stellaris went back on sale today as part of Steam's Space Exploration Sale. I picked it up, not knowing if I could even run it, 'cause hey, Steam has refunds for situations like that, right?

Turns out I can run it. I set all the graphics to low though, so I could free up power for speeding up gameplay. That said, I haven't even tried speeding up gameplay beyond normal speed yet, because I'm still learning how to play, in single player mode.

My initial impression is that it takes a long time to do anything in Stellaris if you're playing on normal speed with constant pausing like I am. Ninety minutes and I haven't met another intelligent species yet. I did claim four or five stars and land my first colony ship on a habitable world. They haven't even finished setting up my first colony yet. Hopefully the game pace improves when I learn to do everything and stop pausing all the time.
so how do you like stellaris? its come on sale at GOG.....

Well, I've played Stellaris over nine hours now, and having started over once, I still haven't made it to the mid-game yet. The game has specific mid-game, late-game, and end-game times that you can set when you create a game. I was playing a three hundred year game both times, and didn't make it in one hundred years yet on either. So, I can only give you my opinion on the early game.

Exploring can be fun, but since the game is real-time, you won't have time to read all the flavor text unless you pause. Decisions are needed pretty quickly, since your ships are constantly on the move.

The reason I'm still only at nine hours is that the AI empires were way ahead of me in both games I played when I met them all. I'm afraid to jump in again because of it. They say the AI has gotten dumb since the MegaCorp update, but it's still smarter than me. To be fair, maybe the United Nations of Earth isn't well suited to my playstyle. I played as them in both games. I might need a faction with more aggression.

I haven't had much combat experience yet, but it doesn't seem to be very strategic anyway. No special battle maps, just some numbers going against each other, and the larger one usually wins. It's all about building up said numbers in the first place. I'm not too good at that part either.

Overall, I think Stellaris will give out what you put into it, but I just don't have much to put into it. *shrug* I think I like spaceship sims more than space strategy.

Overall, I think Stellaris will give out what you put into it, but I just don't have much to put into it. *shrug* I think I like spaceship sims more than space strategy.
What type of spaceship sims?
Objects in Space is a spaceship sim where you're on the bridge in a 80's style space ship. It's developer seems to have decided it's complete despite the game breaking bugs in the Linux version, if you run Linux force it to run in proton, as it's fully playable there. It's more of a casual explore the universe and trade things/complete fetch quests type game so it might not be for you. Definitely check the Steam store page's videos before buying, they pretty much show the game. I myself have 32 hours in it and I am still having fun projecting myself into my character's shoes and exploring the galaxy and terrifying pirates with my medium freighter (only one of three playable ships) with it's oversized weapons array, although I'm still hunting for a bigger one as I know the biggest one is able to store 10 missiles versus my 8. Anyway back on topic ^_^' Not for everyone but still fun.

Also if you aren't afraid of early access there's Starcom: Nexus a sequel to the flash game Starcom although the story seems to be more of a reboot. It's fully playable right now and only needs some quality of life improvements and an end to the story. It's similar to Reassembly in that you get to build your own ship but it has a much more expansive research tree and focuses more on story. Also a top down shooter.

I've just finished installing and modding Fallout 3 GOTY edition on an entry level i3 laptop for my father. It's inspired me to set it up on my i5... Man what a fantastic game!
If you haven't played Fallout 3, you are missing out on probably one of the best games of all time. Get it asap. It will run great on your machine. It could keep you occupied for years... Especially as it's endlessly moddable. The base game unmodded is still an addicting fantastic experience.

What are you waiting for?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

+1 Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas is as good..
Maybe try Star Controll 1 and 2 . SC2 was one of my favorites back in the day..
a free game based off of ELITE is Oolite. space explore, trade between planets build up you cash to buy better ships etc.. a huge range of addons all free ( equiv to DLC's) http://www.oolite.org/

I've never really been able to play open world games like fallout, and fallout 3 on xbox 360 was one of the games I bought to see if that was still true after everyone was raving about it. IIRC I made it out of the base and then... what now? At least give me something to do.

Maybe it's a more modern problem for me though, being time limited as I am. When I was a kid I plied hours into Elite, and that doesn't exactly hold your hand even if you've read the novella.

Reactions: rSl
i thought the fallout series had a definite progression line. you dont have to follow it..lol but there is a story line to follow. you get a lot of quests to do from NPC's . i usually just yomp around to get better guns and armour etc to build up the character before following the story..
same with morrowind... just explore build yourself up learn som spells etc then do what they ask..lol

I've never really been able to play open world games like fallout, and fallout 3 on xbox 360 was one of the games I bought to see if that was still true after everyone was raving about it. IIRC I made it out of the base and then... what now? At least give me something to do.

Maybe it's a more modern problem for me though, being time limited as I am. When I was a kid I plied hours into Elite, and that doesn't exactly hold your hand even if you've read the novella.
When I played all those years ago, I just went adventuring... Never even got as far as Galaxy News Radio on the main quest line... But in play testing this current installation... It really does hold your hand.
Every time you load up your game, your next quest objective appears on the screen. It is also marked on your map. All you need to do is line up with the quest marker on your compass and walk untill you hit it. Couldn't be easier.

I played Morrowind, then Oblivion, then Fallout 3.

I never got very far with the main quest on any of them... The idea of an entire world where I was free to do anything was what appealed. I liked setting my own objectives rather than following instructions.

Many years later I played Skyrim. For some reason Skyrim is just... Meh...! So was Oblivion really.
The new features were great, but the theme.... So much yawn.

Out of all of them, Fallout 3 was the most atmospheric and the most fun for me... I'm eagerly looking foreward to getting lost in the wasteland again.... Maybe this time I'll actually finish the game! Then I can move onto New Vegas... I refuse to play that till I finish Fallout 3.

Wow... I haven't really played big games like this since I got my 3DS 3 years ago.... What a trip!

I still have no Switch, but now that my handheld collection has been restored and pretty much completed, I think I may get back into these kind of games.

I'm thinking I have all I need for great gaming experiences for many years to come... It's looking like I will skip the Switch altogether.

That yellow Switch Lite does look tasty though...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Guys, I was considering buying Wildermyth even though it's in Steam Early Access. Anyone here tried it? It has a SteamOS/Linux build according to its page.

Has anyone ever encountered a game with overwhelmingly positive reviews where the reviews make you NOT want to play the game? Because Disco Elysium is that game for me.

Good thing there's no Linux build, so I don't have to worry about you guys trying to get me to play it.

Back