Pc Engine Cheat Codes

rsuryase

I'm surprised no cheat devices were made for the PC Engine, but I guess it's possible to implement cheat codes in emulation. But then there's finding the codes.

Most people rarely finish a game without cheat codes. I finished all NEO GEO games, thanks to the universal bios.

There are some PC-Engine emulators with de facto search/replace location cheats. Temper doesn't support such a thing though.

Do you really think most people can't finish a game without cheats? Maybe a few extremely difficult games (games on PCE are generally not as mind-boggingly difficult as the hardest on NES) but in general I really doubt that's the case. You must be worse at gaming than you realize :/

Yes I'm a bad gamer. Is it possible Temper can include a cheat code entry so we can use Magic Engine cheat codes available on his forum?

I'll think about it, along with the list of other things for when I have the time/focus to work on it.

savestates and BRAM should be sufficient for finishing games; I even hex edited a few games to switch screen locations or give extra points/items when locations are properly identified; good thing there is no checksum on the saves :)

bman said:
savestates and BRAM should be sufficient for finishing games; I even hex edited a few games to switch screen locations or give extra points/items when locations are properly identified; good thing there is no checksum on the saves :)

Did you hex edit the savestates or the bram? Is there a tutorial somewhere how to do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
cool site, I always figured stuff out manually; save one state, lose a life/item/etc, save another state; compare saves, experiment with settings; there are some sites that list hex locations for various games and you can even use gameshark or other codes as they are really the same for live memory locations and settings. figuring out how to cheat ... err help yourself in a game ... can be as much fun as just plain figuring it out normally.

Exophase said:
There are some PC-Engine emulators with de facto search/replace location cheats. Temper doesn't support such a thing though.

Do you really think most people can't finish a game without cheats? Maybe a few extremely difficult games (games on PCE are generally not as mind-boggingly difficult as the hardest on NES) but in general I really doubt that's the case. You must be worse at gaming than you realize :/

The ability to save does more for me than any cheat probably could. When I reach a hard section I save, then I save right after passing it. PERFECT. Cheats often just make the game boring (depending on the cheat)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Infinite lives and infinite health never makes a game boring :) I'm greedy though, so I want infinite money too.

Back