Payback

Jr2swiss

Website
Visit site
Hey anyone know wat happened to the potential payback port? is the guy still looking for someone to publish... sry i forgot his name, feel so disrespectful.

Their page is here if you want to contact them:

http://www.apex-designs.net/

I wonder if they know they don't need a publisher? they could just sell it from their site or joyGP as an encrypted download- then they would get all the profits!

If there was a GP version, it would look more like the Amiga original than the low res GBA port.

Once the GBA version is out, we can think of a gp32 release, for now just dont think about that game as imo the chances are about 20-40% only for a gp release ;)

he wanted a publisher to provide him with $50,000 to develop a gp32 version.

TBH there are not enough gp32's out there and enough people to legitmately buy the software to cover the costs in sales to develop it

blipped4 posted on Feb 24 2004 at 10:29 AM said:
It ended up the port could not take place due to lack oof source code.
They could not find the source code for a game they are themselves writing?
Blipped you have exceled yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
blipped does talk a lot of fucked up shit...

every forum needs one of those guys! :D

he also developed an amiga version, the marked should be also very small.... but theres a port in development für the AmigaDE, maybe this could be portet to gp32 also???

It was first developed for the Amiga.

I don`t think he misunderstood the Gp32 scene at all.

For him to port everything, test it etc, it will require a lot of time, effort and money on his part, £50,000 sounds like a fair figure to port a commercial game to a new platform.

As for having to buy the source code, didnt he develop this himself ?

Last i knew he did develop it himself, due to it's own copany that makes the game, and no mention of any other company givig him the damn sorce, of course the only port that was not done for the gp32 from that site is Frontal Assault due to we cannot open the "Frontal Assault.AMOS" file to veiw the sorce

As for Payback, it's his game as far as i know, and with all the manhours for it, he should try again when the euro launch goes through with Virgin, due to a much bigger audience and a more justified answer for having 50k towards a commercial game... But he could start devving it in his spair time if he felt like it, then release it for cheaper or ask for a smaller amount *40k?*

...so basically "not gonna happen."

They want an advance, Gamepark isn't going to front the money... Will Virgin do it when/if they get the Euro launch...launched?

Guys, to be honest, I didnt tell James Daniels (maker) about Virgin, because at the time I didnt think that they were going to launch! I am going to email him right now telling him that Virgin is gonna launch around summer (correct me if im wrong). Is this the same virgin thatpublished aladdin for sega? Im also going to ask him to supply a version of the frontal assault source that is in a different (unpacked) format that isnt .amos for easier porting. If someone in the community were to work with him for free on Payback it might cut development costs alot (the helper could get a royalty).

It's just talkin about the GBA version, notin really new due to other such, someone i guess mentioned something about the gp32, but i do not read french, so i have no fucking clue wtf the words are saying

And you forgot to tell him about virgin? arga!RG!
Well, if Virgin accepts and such then yay! :D

and the frontal assault thing is good

ThndrShk2k posted on Feb 25 2004 at 03:20 PM said:
It's just talkin about the GBA version, notin really new due to other such, someone i guess mentioned something about the gp32, but i do not read french, so i have no fucking clue wtf the words are saying
I said read post /7, it's in english ;)

Pocket : What would you need to start to work on GP32 ?

James Daniels : Really we'd need an advance from a publisher - we funded the GBA version
ourselves but the success of a GP32 version is much harder to predict.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back