Pangea - Alternative Gui To Gmenu

efegea said:
pandora004rq5.png
Absolutely beautiful!! I would love to use this!

Last edited by a moderator:
.... looks awesome

The green background is nice....

something more blingy could probably be done with something based on the ETK libs if you were looking to do a more animated UI

+1 to the request for cursor support.

Multiple application launchers were a given for a Linux based community/development environment. GMenu will be good out of the box, but I look forward to continued, evolved improvements to the system with applications like this one.

Great Work!

Beautiful :) The community support for this device is just astounding. Will definitely be trying this interface out.

It's just a GUI. The underlying OS is still the original Ångström, so it will have the same compatibility AFAIK

It looks good. There's some lost screen real estate though, which was always one of the most-complained-about issues with the Nokia Hildon interface.
As for the icons vs. text issue - make it user selectable. There will never be universal agreement about what's best anyway.

I hope someone designs an icons set of say, blue cartoon ones for all the emu's, etc.

mali said:
That's great!
Having the menu on the left side is similar to Maemo, if you get rid of the description and only use icons in the menu it would be perfect. I like it and will try it on my Pandora :)

Beautiful, thank you! :D
Oh, please, please, please keep the text. I really like it the way it is.
Sure, icons are nice, but not always can you figure out what they mean just by looking at them. You may have icons that resemble other icons. Plus text takes less space.
On the left bar I really like that each section is indicated by text and the icon shows only for the selected section.
Also, the iPhone interface works on the iPhone. Plus, it's overated. Scroll bars have been around for a long reason and there's a good explanation for that. They just work. So I would add a vertical scroll bar on the right of the right panel.

Either way it's looking very good. I like the second theme better, I hope you can select the theme from many (I would go for something darker).

Keep up the good work.

Tor said:
It looks good. There's some lost screen real estate though, which was always one of the most-complained-about issues with the Nokia Hildon interface.
As for the icons vs. text issue - make it user selectable. There will never be universal agreement about what's best anyway.
Normally I would agree with you on that one, but I don't think it makes much of a difference in this instance. This is more of an application launcher than a desktop system and as such isn't subject to the same restrictions.

As for the mouse cursor; I think it looks a lot neater without one. It would be good if the cursor was hidden initially and only appears if one of the joysticks is used. It won't be needed for joypad or touchscreen control anyway and will probably just get in the way most of the time.

Schprlock said:
Oh, please, please, please keep the text. I really like it the way it is.
Sure, icons are nice, but not always can you figure out what they mean just by looking at them. You may have icons that resemble other icons. Plus text takes less space.
On the left bar I really like that each section is indicated by text and the icon shows only for the selected section.
Also, the iPhone interface works on the iPhone. Plus, it's overated. Scroll bars have been around for a long reason and there's a good explanation for that. They just work. So I would add a vertical scroll bar on the right of the right panel.

Either way it's looking very good. I like the second theme better, I hope you can select the theme from many (I would go for something darker).

Keep up the good work.
Everyone has his/her own preference, I see it like Tor.
Text takes less space in height but much more space in width ;) I don't see, why you should have dozens of entries in the menu, just the standard ones plus some shortcuts to directly start an app like firefox for example.
I've used an N800 for quite a while and screen realestate is very precious on that small screen.
Extensive use of scrollbars should be avoided on a touchscreen, because you will get scratches very quickly.

Normally I would agree with you on that one, but I don't think it makes much of a difference in this instance. This is more of an application launcher than a desktop system and as such isn't subject to the same restrictions.

As I understand it, this is supposed to be a desktop replacement, if not, why would you want to have multiple ways of launching apps ontop of each other?

mali said:
As I understand it, this is supposed to be a desktop replacement, if not, why would you want to have multiple ways of launching apps ontop of each other?
To me a Desktop and launcher are completely different.

A desktop lets you open 2 programs at once and lets you resize/move those windows so you can see both on the screen at the same time.

A launcher reads icons from a directory and displays them for simple selection. You can still open 2 windows at one time, but only have one viewable at any time in full screen mode.

e,g if you have Firefox and a game both running, pressing a button (or button combination) will swap from Firefox to the game, pressed again it will swap to show the launcher, pressed again and it will swap back to Firefox and so on.

This seems to work the same as Gmenu2x, which is a launcher :)

EDIT: A desktop also lets you put icons where ever you like but a launcher orders them for you.

What I think is confusing about this one, is that it's a launcher with task switching capabilities and visible icons on the top bar for WiFi etc.; which kind of blurs the line a bit more than usual.

Maybe "desktop" is the wrong term in this context. As I understand it, the GUI is the interface that lets you access the system. The other option would be the command line. So gmenu or this alternative are meant to be an equivalent to a "desktop" on Windows for example. A launcher would just be a program to launch other programs. I'm confusing myself :lol: Whatever it is, it will be fine and I like it :)

mali said:
I'm confusing myself :lol:
Tell me about it, I had to check my own side of the discussion quite a few times too just to make sure I wasn't arguing against myself. It was so much easier when it was either one or the other. I do prefer it done this way though.

I've had an N800 for over a year myself but never liked the way that they tried to use it as a full fledged desktop. Devices like this tend to be too small to comfortably house a desktop that can rival that of a full size computer. They don't have the screen real estate for more than one program on screen at any one time and having to press a button to switch a program between half/full screen mode is tedious IMO. Much better to have a button that can cycle between the full screen programs and the launcher itself.
Not only is this easier to navigate but it looks a lot neater too :)

Don't even get me started on widgets :lol:

what would be mega cool is it we have a beryl type of GUI

a cube containing 6 different desktops.

I've seen something like that in conjunction with nokia or Omap or both on youtube, but I can't remember the right search term, unfortunately.

It's the best GUI I've seen so far. I'll probably use this one once I get a 2nd batch Pandora.

@mali http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UFUbqoNgs8...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKHz7EJI8vU...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_8vLPtALWA...feature=related

Back