Pandora''s Type Classification

WinterK

Still Fresh
I've been recently linked to this article by a friend, and I figured that you may find it interesting:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/mi...er_field_guide/

Apparently, we can safely refer to the OpenPandora as an "Ultrathin computer".

Sort of a silly name IMHO, but go argue with the industry...

(More easily copyable link: www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/ - Squidge)

Last edited by a moderator:
The link (watchamacallit - decision diagram?) made me snigger.

Personally I'd say there's no proper term yet. And I think that, given the overall size of the unit, the pandora is actually not very thin at all.

My feeling tells me UMPC is pretty close. But there's no account for the gaming controls.

Well, as long as we can safely do so. Wouldn`t want to go around using trendy technology keywords without industry approval.

I still don`t see what the difference is between laptops, notebooks, netbooks. Seems like every five years they need to `reinvent` the portable computer by the means of a new catchphrase. Some are smaller, some are faster, and some are more expensive, but they`re all essentially the same product. I call them all laptops.

Doesn't the diagram call the Pandora a "handheld"?
That puts it in the same category as my phone, my wallet and my keys - I have nothing but handhelds in my pocket!

'Alex.' said:
Well, as long as we can safely do so. Wouldn`t want to go around using trendy technology keywords without industry approval.

Indeed, I'm not really sure why we would want to use a generic term. Especially considering that it isn't really like anything else at the moment.

Just read the article and it is funny

Pandora is a UMPC or ultra-portable

The diagram was funny - but nearly all netbooks have no optical drives, and author did not really size the things up which would of made it eaiser

Laptop - sits on you legs, has HD and CD
Netbook - smaller 50% size of laptop - has HD
UMPC's - really small held in you hand (ok could of been handheld) - either HD, SSD or SDHC

in the older days you had hanheld pc and pocket pc, as the pandora has a keyboard you could also class as pocket pc clamshell

Following the flowchart:
less than $500
smaller than 13"
Runs a full OS
has video ports
That's so ULTRATHIN!

although one could argue about the video port, since it's not prominent and requires an external cable, so maybe it's a Pocket Computer Formerly Known as a Netbook?

I personally like the name Pretty Amazing New Device Or Reading Apparatus.

I'd call it a handheld console, no matter what that chart says. It's got gaming controls and it's primarily designed for gaming.

I think I might call it Bob, seems a whole lot simpler to me!

I'll call mine lulz-pandora-2009, to follow the convention set by lulz-inspiron-2007.

But if you want a category, pocket computer and UMPC are both good. It's also sort of like a high-end gaming PDA, analogous to high-end gaming laptops and high-end gaming desktops.

'Mithrildor' said:
UMPC/Handheld/PDA hybrid
Handheld UMPDA? :p
I would probably just tell people who ask, that they won't find another device as nice as this one (even if there would be) so to me, it's a Pandora.

No UMPDA , UM means ultra mobile and it isn't more mobile than other PDA systems. Keep it at what I said because the panda doesn't fits in one class. Or call it Bob.

'Mithrildor' said:
No UMPDA , UM means ultra mobile and it isn't more mobile than other PDA systems. Keep it at what I said because the panda doesn't fits in one class. Or call it Bob.
I know, i was just kidding ;)
Hmmm... Bob...

Well, it does not seem so thin, but sounds nice...

On another side: I know we can't compare the GP2X with Pandora in many ways, but that one was (or is) a PEP (Portable Entertainment Player). Could that also apply to the Pandora?

Note: I'm not suggesting it, I'm just curious. :)

Edit: Wait... but the :pandora1: is much more than just a PEP. ... ... ... Haha now i'm self-confused on my statement. :p

Back