Pandora's Movie/mp3 Player - Firmware

Keen

Still Fresh
I wonder if Pandora will include some kind of Divx/mp3 player or we will have to download it later from de Web.
On the other hand, I wonder if there is any bug in the Pandora of the first batch, it will be able fixed by a firmware upgrade...

Keen said:
I wonder if Pandora will include some kind of Divx/mp3 player or we will have to download it later from de Web.
On the other hand, I wonder if there is any bug in the Pandora of the first batch, it will be able fixed by a firmware upgrade...

You will have to dl one if you want to be able to play MP3s. Even if they did include a media player, it would only be able to play free formats, because they don't want to make it look like they support illegal things. That's the same reason why the Pandora won't come with Emulators pre-installed.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
mp3 and divx require a license for commercial use, so it'll be very surprising to ship with one.

Your second question is easy - there will not be any bugs in the first batch, but any possible issues will be fixed in later firmwares.

Squidge said:
... there will not be any bugs in the first batch ...
Wow, that's a bold claim; I'll hold you to that once I've gdb'd my way through all of the applications shipping on the Pandora :p

dflemstr said:
Wow, that's a bold claim; I'll hold you to that once I've gdb'd my way through all of the applications shipping on the Pandora :p

Yah, I was smirking a bit when I read that ;) There's not a single piece of software in the world that has no bugs. I mean, there's stable software and there's not so stable software... but even the most stable software still has bugs if you're creative enough to find them.

I highly doubt this will be that stable considering it's a conglomerate of tons of open source softwares. I mean, I'm sure it will be very usable and very capable... but I wouldn't hold my breath for something highly stable unless you have a bunch of testers working out all those edge cases and so on. In fact, I'm sure that people will find at least one or two serious bugs in this thing once it hits prime time. Certainly no big deal for a device like this, but I would bet on it happening.

Oh noz!!! You will have to download your media player from "de Web"!!! A travesty! Oh, the humanity! I'd better cancel my order right now! I might actually have to browse the Pandora file archive for 1 minute before I can do what I want! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!1!!1!1!!!!1!11!1!

/me cancels order

I think he was referring to hardware bugs.

After all, the "first batch" can't possibly refer to software? ;)

And since they're already on PCB revision... 3?... it seems unlikely they'll have any major issues.

Kramy said:
And since they're already on PCB revision... 3?... it seems unlikely they'll have any major issues.
It was the ", but any possible issues will be fixed in later firmware" that made me think that he indeed wasn't talking about hardware bugs...

dflemstr said:
It was the ", but any possible issues will be fixed in later firmware" that made me think that he indeed wasn't talking about hardware bugs...
Examples:

Oh no! There's a glitch in the card reader firmware that prevents speeds over 2MB/sec! We'd better flash it! ;)

Woohoo! PowerVR just sent us OpenGL 2.0 drivers, so we're uploading new firmware tomorrow!

Technically all hardware is running software of some sort. If it isn't CPU errata, it can probably be defined as a software glitch.

midna25 said:
Oh noz!!! You will have to download your media player from "de Web"!!! A travesty! Oh, the humanity! I'd better cancel my order right now! I might actually have to browse the Pandora file archive for 1 minute before I can do what I want! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!1!!1!1!!!!1!11!1!

/me cancels order

It was only a question, I don't care download tons of files for Pandora. By the way sorry for "de web" instead "the web" but i'm spanish and I do my best. Maybe you can write in spanish...

Gruso said:
Yeah, I don't know where midna's attitude came from. You asked a perfectly fine question.

FYI, this is where we'll be getting all our apps from: http://dl.openhandhe...a.cgi?0,0,0,0,1

...it's a bit empty right now, but that will change soon. :)

Does anyone know how we'll actually "run" anything yet? Due to not being able to (well you can but you're not supposed to) install things in the usual fashion. Don't say PND because that's far from working at this point... (basically what method are the devs and co using? Just static stuff executed from its own folder?)

I'm pretty sure they're just running everything out of a directory, just like existing systems would do. PND is just a convenience thing.

WizardStan said:
I'm pretty sure they're just running everything out of a directory, just like existing systems would do. PND is just a convenience thing.

For some reason I had a complete memory blank and forgot you can just -run- apps from their own folder (kinda got stuck in a "they have to be installed mindset"). Had a moment of clarity earlier when I remembered when I compile apps from source and don't install that I can still run them and even downloaded ones (i.e. Second Life) run from the folder you extract them from). So yeah, worry over :p

I suppose if worse comes to worse I can just have a "Programs" folder on the SD card and then shortcuts to the apps in the root of the SD card, nothing fiddly then, just put the card in, open it and run the appropriate app name.

Enverex said:
WizardStan said:

For some reason I had a complete memory blank and forgot you can just -run- apps from their own folder (kinda got stuck in a "they have to be installed mindset"). Had a moment of clarity earlier when I remembered when I compile apps from source and don't install that I can still run them and even downloaded ones (i.e. Second Life) run from the folder you extract them from). So yeah, worry over :p

I suppose if worse comes to worse I can just have a "Programs" folder on the SD card and then shortcuts to the apps in the root of the SD card, nothing fiddly then, just put the card in, open it and run the appropriate app name.
WHY are there so goddmn many threads about the PND format all of a sudden? The PND format already works perfectly for all "normal" applications that you doubleclick on to start; it's been some discussion about how thigns such as icon themes or libraries or Apache servers would be deployed in a PND, but that's the only issue that the format still has. And PNDs won't be "installed", but you will still have entries for the applications that are inside of PNDs in your menus and launchers due to pnd disco magic. Dudes, chill :)

Gruso said:
Yeah, I don't know where midna's attitude came from. You asked a perfectly fine question.

FYI, this is where we'll be getting all our apps from: http://dl.openhandhe...a.cgi?0,0,0,0,1

...it's a bit empty right now, but that will change soon. :)
My attitude came from it being 1 AM when I posted and not having the mental capacity to make a proper response. Sorry about that.

Apologies, Keen.

Back on topic, I strongly support having a shortcut on the desktop called "Install MP3s/restricted media" or whatever, not everyone buying a pandora is likely to be a huge nerd or give a shit about proprietary media formats. The dedication to OS is great and all but the product should accommodate the user, not the other way around

Back