Mp3 Player Etc.

Muaddib

Still Fresh
Hi folks,

What programs are included with Pandora other than gaming?
For instance, I don't own an MP3 player; can I use the Pandora for that purpose?

Are there any of these?
- MP3 player
- Video player
- POP3 email via Wifi
- Image viewer
- Simple text editor
- Bluetooth keyboard support
- Wifi printing
- Real web browser

Thanks.

There should be all of those, considering that the printer and bluetooth keyboards are supported with linux drivers.

Eg. My mom has a wireless lexmark printer that I can't use in linux because there are no drivers for it.

The Pandora runs a full desktop operating system, and will only lack a few things like Flash and anything that's too taxing for 600mhz to handle.

So you will be able to run Firefox, the source from which Google Chrome is from (Chromium), OpenOffice.org (a Microsoft Office clone), and a plethora of fully featured music and video players. Email and Instant Messaging clients are available as well. The software library that already exists for the Pandora is enormous.

Note that due to (rediculous but very real) patent emcumbrances, various codecs could not be included inthe system (ie: mp3) by default. mp3 is actually a licensed format, not open despite its popularity. (This is relativdly common; even the PSP and Xbox for instance has the user activate and download various codecs as needed.)

As such, a codec pack is available which adds mp3 (and others) into the system; it is up to the user to download it if they so decide.

If the codec pack is installed, mp3 playing with mplayer (and probably some others) works great (and the Pandora has _very_ good playback, much better than many mp3 dedicated devices.)

Also check 'Exaile' free download in the appstore and dl.openhandhelds archive; its more like 'itunes' - music database, etc, a pretty fancy schmancy music player if you want the full desktop experience.

- Video player --> part of the codec pack; again, most codecs in popular use are encumbered by patents so have to be installes separately.

- POP3 email via Wifi -> yep, email application included
- Image viewer -> yep
- Simple text editor -> yep
- Bluetooth keyboard support -> I would imagine so, but I rather dislike bluetooth so never tried :) (I used a usb keyboard extensively)
- Wifi printing -> should be fine in the normal linux way
- Real web browser -> oh yes, two browsers are included that are essentially very stripped down firefox's; they work pretty well, but more browser options are coming as well

jeff

Ollonk said:
The Pandora runs a full desktop operating system, and will only lack a few things like Flash and anything that's too taxing for 600mhz to handle.

That's great, although now I wonder: with a smaller screen wouldn't it be better to have a simpler UI? For instance I could see a menu system that's animated working out well. I assume the X server has support for hardware accelerated OpenGL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muaddib said:
That's great, although now I wonder: with a smaller screen wouldn't it be better to have a simpler UI? For instance I could see a menu system that's animated working out well. I assume the X server has support for hardware accelerated OpenGL.
There's a choice between normal full desktop, and a minimal menu to currently choose from.

edit :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back