Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't

What about GP2X emulation?

I know, it sounds funny, but there are some closed-source games for GP2X that can't be simply recompiled for the Pandora. I think it would be neat to be able to emulate the GP2X completely, maybe even Wiz emulation to show GPH who's boss :D. The CPU isn't that different so it shouldn't be too slow to emulate.

Please update your list: Apple IIGS is a 16bits system not 8 bits. It is as powerful as an Amiga.

Gruso said:
Where art thou, Prophet? Hiding from the recent forum madess perhaps? Do come back.

He's in stealth mode. ;) It would be nice to see him back. There are many questions about what will/wont work and progress again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone working on/looking into a ZX Spectrum emulator? I see it's listed but not yellow/green as yet. I was thinking of having a crack at porting FUSE when I get hold of a Pandora to work on.

Emu (the multisystem emulator I'll be passing to Firefox for porting) has pretty good support. 48K only at the moment but the compatibility seems fine (no compat bugs filed against it at the moment).

What about emulation of the 2005 Gizmondo? I realize the Gizmondo has a 400 mhz arm9, but I'm hoping since it's ARM maybe it wouldn't require emulation the way x86 on ARM would need. Would it be possible to do something like WINE, but for the Gizmondo? (Although I suppose Windows runs on exactly the same hardware in that case, and the Gizmondo, though ARM, is not. I'm not well versed in this particular aspect.)

Mostly, I would *love* SSX3 on a handheld. I suppose for 14 games, you'd need to be a real Gizmondo fan to want to bother writing an emulator. I wonder if the old Gizmondo handheld will be binary compatible with the rumored new one... It would make an emulator more useful, if the new one gets made.

I searched and poked around, but didn't see anything about emulating this yet.

What about GBA? One of my favourite handhelds and i would love to not have to carry it and a pandora around!

Esn said:
It looks like Prophet has disappeared somewhere... would it be appropriate for another mod to edit the first post?
Done. :)

Greened Amiga and changed developer to Notaz.

Yellowed Gameboy & Gameboy Colour and added Tinnus as developer.

Trooper

Tozarian said:
What about GBA? One of my favourite handhelds and i would love to not have to carry it and a pandora around!
It's yellowed.

trooper said:
Esn said:
It looks like Prophet has disappeared somewhere... would it be appropriate for another mod to edit the first post?
Done. :)

Greened Amiga and changed developer to Notaz.

Yellowed Gameboy & Gameboy Colour and added Tinnus as developer.

Trooper

Thanks. Though I think it would be best to keep the old developer's name, but make it yellow (as is the case for a few other systems on the list which have more than one developer working on them). Also I think you should add an "update" thingy to the bottom of the post to indicate what was changed.

I tracked down ZodTTD about the Nintendo 64 emulator, asked about a rough ETA and he said "sadly I cant give an estimate. If anyone else is up for the challenge, they should go for it".

Because it's no small task to make a Nintendo 64 emulator for the Pandora, either writing from scratch or porting Daedalus, since it involves writing an entirely new dynarec for the ARM arch and ZodTTD is focused on the psx emulator and iPhone dev work, I'm not so sure his nick should be next to "Nintendo 64" in the OP.

Other potential devs should know that the position to make an N64 emulator is wide open and still involves writing the ARM-specific stuff from scratch.

Thanks for all the updates guys. Sorry I haven't been around much.

I'll update the list now.

As for Gizmondo - is it worth adding? Would making Colors theoretically playable by more people not be considered a form of human rights abuse?

Prophet said:
Thanks for all the updates guys. Sorry I haven't been around much.

Nice to see you again, Prophet. I can sympathize with not wanting to be around much; news is really slow right now and there seems to be relatively little discussion of substance.

Thanks for updating.
Amiga CD32 was a 32-bit system, though, at least according to Wikipedia.

With the cheaper gp2x wiz coming out in oct. i dont think the pandora will sell much. 350 is alot just to play old games and videos on the go. With the price of the pandora, i could get a modded wii with a ton of classic games. I suspect the Wiz is the reason why pandora news as slowed down. Unless ps1 emu is better on the pandora than other systems i may not get one. It looks like I (and others) keep getting more reasons to not buy the over priced pandora.

Anyway if i get a pandora, I want visual boy advance ported over. Visual boy advance is very best game boy emu for windows xp i have ever used, the rest suck and are extreamly hard to get saving to work right.

And a sega-cd (mega drive cd in other parts of the world) emu would be nice too.

PPD-X said:
Anyway if i get a pandora, I want visual boy advance ported over. Visual boy advance is very best game boy emu for windows xp i have ever used, the rest suck and are extreamly hard to get saving to work right.

gpSP works wonders by the way.

Back