Pandora Pandora Widgets

CandidStan

Hello,

This is my first time posting in the Developers' Corner, and this time its an idea.

I was watching this and I was wondering if these widgets (open source willing) will be developed on the Pandora. (Basically I'm calling anyone who can develop for the Pandora out)

-Thanks,
Candidstan

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically I'm thinking all the ones currently available in the iPhone 2.0 OS.

(Of course not ones like rotary dial, and others that require hardware that the Pandora doesn't have, or hardware that the user can't supply.)

Pandora is a completely different device with a completely different way in which users interface.

You're more likely to find code that matches the Pandora by looking at a number of much better sources. Like happypenguin, freegamer @blogspot or the SDL homepage.

On the positive side, they both use OpenGL ES.

You mean apps, not widgets. None of the iPhone ones will ever work, as they all use apple's very restricting iPhone API. There will be plenty of apps ported from desktop linux and not only.

I think the iPhone has OpenGL 1.1 though.

Only thing we're sure is that the Pandora will have support for ES 2.0, nothing more or less at the moment.

icurafu said:
we know es 1.1 is supported in the hardware.

I'd be more worried that ES 2.0 won't be available on p-day.

I'm pretty sure of what I just said ;)

We are only sure that the current drivers support ES 2.0 already. I have no information on other standards, be it regular GL, ES 1.0 or 1.1 or whatever.

The hardware supports all of GL 1, ES 1 and ES 2. Maybe GL2, can't remember that one. The drivers are what determines the available APIs.

Tinnus said:
icurafu said:
we know es 1.1 is supported in the hardware.

I'd be more worried that ES 2.0 won't be available on p-day.

I'm pretty sure of what I just said ;)

We are only sure that the current drivers support ES 2.0 already. I have no information on other standards, be it regular GL, ES 1.0 or 1.1 or whatever.

The hardware supports all of GL 1, ES 1 and ES 2. Maybe GL2, can't remember that one. The drivers are what determines the available APIs.
You're misinformed. The hardware does not support GL1/2. Only ES 1.1 and ES 2.0.

Last time I checked, PowerVR were having trouble with the new OpenGL features for their SGX535 chip (drivers). This would be similar to what they will implement on SGX530, but you would be more in the know about what the current linux drivers support considering your work.

EDIT: but since you know that GL1 is supported in the current software, I can guess that you know less than I.

icurafu said:
EDIT: but since you know that GL1 is supported in the current software, I can guess that you know less than I.

I didn't say the software supported GL1 :p But I was pretty sure of remembering PowerVR mentioning somewhere that the hardware was capable of it (which is really a LOT probable considering it's fully capable of ES 2.0 and that has tons of features).

icurafu said:
You're misinformed. The hardware does not support GL1/2. Only ES 1.1 and ES 2.0.

What does it mean for hardware to "support OpenGL"? You'll find that many fairly recent desktop graphics cards will fall back to software rendering when you use certain combinations of OpenGL features, yet most people would still say that the hardware supports OpenGL.

It needs to support the entire feature set which is clearly defined in the OpenGL standard.

But, support or not, I'll be very surprised if PowerVR release a driver for OpenGL (non es). If not, someone will certainly release a wrapper which will fall back to software or null if needs be.

icurafu said:
It needs to support the entire feature set which is clearly defined in the OpenGL standard.

As I said, then you'll find few GPUs in the PC space that "support OpenGL".

Back