Pandora Add-ons

CandidStan

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone out there is planning on making or using a usb device that can attach to the :pandora1: much like the way
this attaches.

I'm thinking someone will because things like a card reader might be handy to have on the Pandora as an add-on.

-Thanks,
CandidStan :pandora2:

Pandora's USB port will function the same as a USB port on a PC. It'll run any device under the sun as long as there's a driver for it. Multi card readers are pretty much a given.

The way that thing attaches to the PSP seems pretty primitive (sticky-backed velcro? Anyone can do that!). If you wanted to do such a thing, DIY would be the best (and cheapest) option.

CandidStan said:
I'm wondering if anyone out there is planning on making or using a usb device that can attach to the :pandora1: much like the way
this attaches.

You could add something like that to an SDIO socket, but why bother when you have the flexibility of USB?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been away from the forum for a while and I'd like to ask if anyone has plans to add a Zink printer to their list of things to write drivers for.

If you don't know what a Zink printer is, well, its a thermal pocket sized printer that utilizes bluetooth and usb as means of connection to devices, as well as Zink standing for Zero Ink which means the paper contains the medium to create an image. All the printer does is apply certain amounts of heat to the paper.

I'd rather carry around special ink than special paper. I wouldn't forget what it is and write on it that way!

Do they still make those cool (actually hot) printers that literally burn stuff right on to _regular_ paper?

Not quite. It's 40's technology, really. I think it's something like a rotary typewriter, only the stamps are extremely hot so that they char the page when they strike it. It was used like a fax machine. Information could be typed in at one end, and the text could print out miles away.
I guess it _is_ like a branding iron.

if someone writes any kind of driver for a usb printer then yes, we could theoretically print documents. I also asume someone will do this eventually so I'd be willing to put a safe confirmation on that ;]

write a driver? .....
why would anyone need to do that specifically for the pandora, CUPS tends to support next to everything you throw at it and shouldn't be to hard to get running.

I meant that in a somewhat sarcastic way. I know their are already drivers written for printers in linux. :p just a matter of porting some open source printing service. (CUPS as you said)

Well, I'm only concerned because its not your average ink jet printer. Like I said its pocket sized which would be perfect for the Pandora. Its probably about the same size as well. The ideal usage for a Zink printer is to print images on the fly after taking them.

By the way...I hope those of you who know what a thermal printer is, aren't thinking its a B&W printer, its full color.

CUPS tends to support next to everything you throw at it

except for...ah...FARKING canon printers. sry. i have a canon i960 and it bugs the hell out of me to not be able to print to it.
but an on-the-go printer sounds like an awesome idea. carrying around special paper, however, does not. well...you win some, you lose some.

magicman5421 said:
CUPS tends to support next to everything you throw at it

except for...ah...FARKING canon printers. sry. i have a canon i960 and it bugs the hell out of me to not be able to print to it.
but an on-the-go printer sounds like an awesome idea. carrying around special paper, however, does not. well...you win some, you lose some.

A quick search at google pointed me towards http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer....=Canon-BJC-8200 which is supposed to work for the i960,
good luck.

Gruso said:
Pandora's USB port will function the same as a USB port on a PC. It'll run any device under the sun as long as there's a driver for it. Multi card readers are pretty much a given.
[...]
No, that's not true. There was some qualification that a device needs to work on the pandora. I don't remember what it was, but it was the cause of bluetooth dongles not working

CandidStan said:
I've been away from the forum for a while and I'd like to ask if anyone has plans to add a Zink printer to their list of things to write drivers for.

If you don't know what a Zink printer is, well, its a thermal pocket sized printer that utilizes bluetooth and usb as means of connection to devices, as well as Zink standing for Zero Ink which means the paper contains the medium to create an image. All the printer does is apply certain amounts of heat to the paper.
Personally I like the idea of the Zink printers.

No more getting screwed on the prices of ink. No more crap printouts because my printer doesn't like the non printer manufacturer paper and inks I choose to use. No more printers that auto clean themselves every time you try to use them, wasting tons of ink in the process. No more smears or blotches when the printer decides to spurt out too much ink for no apparent reason, ruining yet another print out and wasting even more ink and paper.

You get all that + cheaper, better quality prints and portability.. bring it on :D

Wow, Zink is really interesting. New to me.

I will keep it in mind for my next printer purchase. Would be nice if a company like Canon adopted the Zink technology.

Back