Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
PokeParadox said:
gibberish said:
On my desktop pc i can download at 2400kB/s (kiloBYTES), but I am yet to download anything at all using my Pandora due to those pesky "ration something or other" errors in Arora. What am I supposed to be using to download on Pandora..?
I seem to remember that I was having errors downloading PNDs until I went into arora's menu and changed the default download location to "Always ask me"

Thanks for that. Sorry for the daft questions but my SD cards dont show in Arora as a download location... How can I get it to show them?

edit: sorry, found them in "media".

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
Monk said:
EvilDragon said:
Maybe your WiFi signal is a bit weak where you try to use the Pandora? A desktop PC, XBox360, Wii, etc. are WAY bigger and therefore have bigger and better antennas. You can't do that on such a small device, therefore, the signal strength will ALWAYS be a bit weaker.

I thought you guys reported that a notebook in The Hall got no signal, but a mighty Pandora got a signal, could connect and browse?
The signal was weak, they were unable to sustain a connection in order to set the webcam stream up. This is different from hopping on 2 seconds browsing a test page to see if wifi is working...

This was before, and not connected to, the webcam - which I didn't even mention! I'm just trying to wrap my head around/highlight an apparent contradiction between just two statements:

1. Pandora gets a better signal at the Hall than even a Notebook can! (was it a notebook? A desktop? A netbook? I don't recall)

2. Pandora will ALWAYS have a weaker signal than a bigger (non handheld) device!

I didn't mention webcam at all, not even a little bit. If you want to bring up the topic then fine, we can go there - but it's not at all what I'm talking about. I'm leery of statents which appear contradictory.

surely if the Pandora can conenct - even briefly - then following ED's "bigger is better - ALWAYS" line then a Notebook worth comparing to a Pandora ought to be able to conenct for, say, twice as long? Conversely, if a larger, more powerful notebook can't even see a signal where a Pandora can actually make a connection (albiet only briefly before being cut off) then isn't it a little misleading/unwise/inaccurate to say that (to paraphrase the way human memories tend to) "A larger device will always get a stronger signal than a Pandora"?

From my own experience it is possible for a handheld to have a stronger signal than a larger PC. My N800 is exceptionally great even with full power saving enabled. It's much better than my Aspire One(power saving disabled) and only topped by my 1810t, which has got a patented multi-antenna setup built-in.

mali said:
From my own experience it is possible for a handheld to have a stronger signal than a larger PC. My N800 is exceptionally great even with full power saving enabled. It's much better than my Aspire One(power saving disabled) and only topped by my 1810t, which has got a patented multi-antenna setup built-in.

+1. Absolutes are dangerous.

Monk said:
EvilDragon said:
Maybe your WiFi signal is a bit weak where you try to use the Pandora? A desktop PC, XBox360, Wii, etc. are WAY bigger and therefore have bigger and better antennas. You can't do that on such a small device, therefore, the signal strength will ALWAYS be a bit weaker.

I thought you guys reported that a notebook in The Hall got no signal, but a mighty Pandora got a signal, could connect and browse?

Yeah, my Acer Aspire One didn't get a signal, but the Pandora could. Weak and slow, but could get one.
So what...?
Of course there are also bigger crappy devices, but a well-built bigger device will ALWAYS have better WiFi than a well-built smaller device.

Last edited:
I hit 650 kb/s downloading big buck bunny with my pandora.

wget "file" -O /dev/null

going to try from a local http/ftp server soon :)

Well, we have 100mbit over fiber, but dad could be downloading alot too, and that could be the limiting factor...

edit: using HFS as a http server on my computer, doing a local transfer with the wget -O dev/null method...

i get about half the speed i got while downloading from the net, haha xD

I'm very sad that noone was capable of testing a local wifi link properly yet (no filesystem and internet bandwidth limit). I'm really interested in this. I hope it won't just fall into oblivion in this high traffic forum.

Alerino said:
when i get my pandora (in the next 10 days i hope), i'll give it a try
I appreciate that very much. Thank you.
EDIT: if you want to help with that or anything, hit me up

Hey I could test it now if you want, my Pandora is connected to my home Wifi and my PC's are running XP and 7, not sure what to run to get my panda to transfer files across the network, or how to check the speed, any ideas?

hello ,i have 1 mb line ,i get around 1100kbs just about all day long ,depending on the server i am downloading my music/movies from :p ,anyway i set up winscp last night and i transfer files from my desktop to the pandora ,they transfer very slowly but i am not complaining as this saves me taking my card out the pandora all the time ,i don't know how to tell what speed they are transfering at ,ill look in 5 mins once i get it setup and report back.

I was at my parents house today visiting with the kid ,they also have a nice broadband setup with nothing connected to it ! i was in the garden about 8 metres away and the pandora was getting 60% signal strenth and streaminng online radio and web pages in the garden without too much problems ,thought some of you might want to know.

Like i said before ,the pandora transfer speed in my house can be really flacky ,most of the time it's rather slow but again sometimes it can transfer a file at a max of 210kbs ,if that file was on my desktop or psp for talking sake the transfer rate would be 900kbs+ ,so i do think the pandora has pretty crap wifi but it works ! and i can't really complain as it's not overly slow to me ,mind this could be the driver or the hardware but we need to know for thwe sake of the pandora so more users need to test their wifi speeds becase i get the feeling no matter what i say no one beleves ,untill they try with their own golden wifi that they know inside out speed wise so they know what to expect ,well i know what i can get on my connection and the pandora does not achive this very well at all ,just saying btw

i will come back with those speed tests sending a file to my pandora from the desktop and while i am at it i will retest the same file from download.com pandora and my desktop ,i could use the psp as well but i am sure the psp will downlaod rapid.

i transfered a wave file to nand it was 40mb ,the speed i got was ...
200/300 kib/s to start with then it dropped to 60/80kib/s
file protocol SCP ,can't use sftp.

i then transfered the same wave file to my sd ,the speed i got was ...
200/300 kib/s ,the speed drops but not as bad as nand ,but to be honest it seems
quite random ,sometimes it's fast and other times its slow but not really fast and can be quite slow.

It just feels like with the pandora you can't get a consistant speed at all ,feels all over the place and mostly slow like sometimes a webpage will open and other times it will just not load up at all and you need to click refresh and then it will open the page rapid like it's getting stoped started ?? idk,ok now i will download the file from download.com

avg antivirus fre edition
240kbs looks like it could have kept going up so i will test a larger file

luxor3 - download.com
1.16mb/s desktop speed.

luxor3 - download.com
110kbs - pandora speed

TRIED THIS AGAIN AS I KNOW THE PANDORA CAN BE FASTER
luxor3 -downlaod.com
260kbs - pandora max speed

(i have noticed the transfer speed goes high and then stops for a few seconds then starts again aand the speed drops slightly ,so 260kbs ,freese ,drop 220kbs and rises again to 260kbs.

mvickers03 said:
Hey I could test it now if you want, my Pandora is connected to my home Wifi and my PC's are running XP and 7, not sure what to run to get my panda to transfer files across the network, or how to check the speed, any ideas?
Don't really know about windows. You'd need to set up a ram disk somehow. In linux you can just mount tmpfs wherever you want and you get this instant super fast low latency ram drive... Could you boot a linux live maybe ?

paddy said:
hello ,i have 1 mb line ,i get around 1100kbs just about all day long ,depending on the server i am downloading my music/movies from :p ,anyway i set up winscp last night and i transfer files from my desktop to the pandora ,they transfer very slowly but i am not complaining as this saves me taking my card out the pandora all the time ,i don't know how to tell what speed they are transfering at ,ill look in 5 mins once i get it setup and report back.

I was at my parents house today visiting with the kid ,they also have a nice broadband setup with nothing connected to it ! i was in the garden about 8 metres away and the pandora was getting 60% signal strenth and streaminng online radio and web pages in the garden without too much problems ,thought some of you might want to know.

Like i said before ,the pandora transfer speed in my house can be really flacky ,most of the time it's rather slow but again sometimes it can transfer a file at a max of 210kbs ,if that file was on my desktop or psp for talking sake the transfer rate would be 900kbs+ ,so i do think the pandora has pretty crap wifi but it works ! and i can't really complain as it's not overly slow to me.

i will come back with those speed tests sending a file to my pandora from the desktop and while i am at it i will retest the same file from download.com pandora and my desktop ,i could use the psp as well but i am sure the psp will downlaod rapid.
that's weird. I can scp files into my Freerunner over wifi (arm920t at 400MHz) at 800KB/s steady rate (about 1mbyte/s peak until cache gets filled). But that's severely clamped by two things: the multimedia chip (glamo) is between the CPU and the microSD card and it's MMIO is itself clamped to about 1mb/s due to low glamo clock rate. And of course the performance of ssh on arm920t plus the fact it only gets hold of the memory bus for brief moments before blocks get written to glamo. it really depends on lots of things. There can be something in your setup that limits your bandwidth and it need not be wifi at all.

EDIT:
don't wanna flood this here with posts. OK I just realized another thing that is the kernel config that can be very significant. For example, check you have all your platform drivers in ok, you have DMA working (if it's utilized), etc. Also in networking, I found out on ARM, large receive offload makes difference since context switch is rather costly (at least on armv4t), so please zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_INET_LRO
You know what? post the whole config.gz, might be an interesting read /me drools for cortex-a8 kernel config

Ok I got a USB and my laptop here how do I go about making a LIVE USB pen,

Edit, what version of Linux shall I use I'm sure I can work out how to make the pen

200/300 kib/s ,the speed drops but not as bad as nand ,but to be honest it seems
quite random ,sometimes it's fast and other times its slow but not really fast and can be quite slow.

It just feels like with the pandora you can't get a consistant speed at all ,feels all over the place and mostly slow like sometimes a webpage will open and other times it will just not load up at all and you need to click refresh and then it will open the page rapid like it's getting stoped started ?? idk,ok now i will download the file from download.com

luxor3 - download.com
1.16mb/s desktop speed.

luxor3 - download.com
110kbs - pandora speed

luxor3 -downlaod.com

(i have noticed the transfer speed goes high and then stops for a few seconds then starts again aand the speed drops slightly ,so 260kbs ,freese ,drop 220kbs and rises again to 260kbs.

paddy said:

luxor3 - download.com
1.16mb/s desktop speed.

luxor3 - download.com
110kbs - pandora speed

luxor3 -downlaod.com

I get similar speeds paddy most I'v had from http is 300 peaked and about 250 steady, I think this test is good enough as the desktop flies through so its not bandwidth issues. I think it may be to do with the driver as the spec of the wifi on paper is capable of much more

cheers man ,it's good to know i am not the only one (thanks for backing me up) :)

So i hope it's just a driver issue and not the fact the wifi didn't work and was fixed to work !

Your welcome mate, I'm sure it is a driver issue, would explain why the CPU is getting very high usage when the WIFI scans whilst in emulators, we clearly get a significant FPS drop when its scanning. I'm sure it will work out in time, still 250 is pretty good for now and will hopefully get better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back