Pandora Wearable

WinterK

Still Fresh
Some of you may have heard of this already, but fiveseven808 from the MicroPCTalk forum has created his own wearable computer using a Sony UX380 UMPC, a hacked MyVU Crystal display, and a Motorola iDEN i425 for cheap, always-on connectivity.

Why am I posting about this in the OpenPandora forums? Simple: His UMPC died, and he's looking for new hardware donations.

Up until now OpenPandora's publicity has been near consistently oriented at its ability with playing old games. How about also taking a step toward the hardware hacker crowd too? The system's capacity, low price point and open design are just what the hardware hacker community needs.

I say send him a model or a prototype. He'll make good use of it, and from a selfish point: there's a good chance for geek-oriented publicity, too.

Article about his setup here: http://www.slashgear.com/diy-wearable-computer-with-head-up-display-2450216/

I agree! Let's do it! Although this would be the perfect opportunity, we would sort of need something... oh yeah, a working Pandora!! Oi, he'll probably replace it before we can. Still worth a try if he's patient, though :)

I imagine that he'd be more likely to go the Beagleboard + stand-along peripherals route here.

BTW, from that UX380 link....

Sony Type-U has always redefined the word "ultra portable".

the word "ultra portable"

word

"ultra portable"

It looks like Sony is also redefining the word "word". :D

Wow! Someone with the same name as me! (no, we're not actually the same person)

What kind of software was he using for this? Is it something that could easily run on Pandora?
Come to think of it, there's an awful lot of possibilities there....

So, since this is not the first thread of this kind and it seems there are quite a lot of people here interested in the pandora as a wearable, i wonder if anyone of you knows of a forum or discussion place on the net for such topics.

Surely, there must be a bunch of people out there interested in wearables and probably connected to that augmented reality. But up until now, i only could find university projects or one or two private blogs about this.

But with the technologie at hand, everyone could theoretically build such a device and i wonder where to meet liek minded people and discuss projects.

The Pandora has potential as a wearable computer. A suitable display and may be a twiddler2 for input, and use bluetooth to talk to you peripherals.

Depends on what you want to do while you are wearing your computer AND how conscious you feel wearing the computer.

Wookiee said:
A suitable display
I have one of these but when it's released I'll get one of these. Resolution isn't the best but the new one is non-occluded, has optional stereo webcams and a 6dof head tracking module that includes a compass. Joy.

and may be a twiddler2 for input.
I'm building a keyer along the lines of this using one of these and a PSP joystick to use as a thumbstick pointing device. It will appear to the OS as a game controller and use either joy2chord or my own joystick remapping software to pretend to be a mouse and keyboard. I'll post pics and instructions when it's done, I'm still waiting on some parts.

and use bluetooth to talk to you peripherals.
I'll be using USB, a hub, and running the cables about my person. I'll need a cable running to the headset anyway and the plan is that the keyer will live in my pocket.

Depends on what you want to do while you are wearing your computer
I'm aiming for replacing my desktop for everything except gaming :D

AND how conscious you feel wearing the computer.
With hood up I'll just look like I have odd taste in shades.

The beagleboard is a better platform for doing all this, it's more hackable. Had I known this time last year how long the Pandora would be delayed I'd have got a beagleboard instead. As it is I may as well wait for these last two months ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
WinterK said:
Some of you may have heard of this already, but fiveseven808 from the MicroPCTalk forum has created his own wearable computer using a Sony UX380 UMPC, a hacked MyVU Crystal display, and a Motorola iDEN i425 for cheap, always-on connectivity.

Why am I posting about this in the OpenPandora forums? Simple: His UMPC died, and he's looking for new hardware donations.

Up until now OpenPandora's publicity has been near consistently oriented at its ability with playing old games. How about also taking a step toward the hardware hacker crowd too? The system's capacity, low price point and open design are just what the hardware hacker community needs.

I say send him a model or a prototype. He'll make good use of it, and from a selfish point: there's a good chance for geek-oriented publicity, too.

Article about his setup here: http://www.slashgear.com/diy-wearable-computer-with-head-up-display-2450216/

My friend actually made a Wearable PC last year. I suggested to him the Beagleboard and it worked great. It should be better suited than the Pandora for this type of project.

-God Ginrai

Klepto said:
Wookiee said:
A suitable display
I have one of these but when it's released I'll get one of these. Resolution isn't the best but the new one is non-occluded, has optional stereo webcams and a 6dof head tracking module that includes a compass. Joy.

and may be a twiddler2 for input.
I'm building a keyer along the lines of this using one of these and a PSP joystick to use as a thumbstick pointing device. It will appear to the OS as a game controller and use either joy2chord or my own joystick remapping software to pretend to be a mouse and keyboard. I'll post pics and instructions when it's done, I'm still waiting on some parts.

and use bluetooth to talk to you peripherals.
I'll be using USB, a hub, and running the cables about my person. I'll need a cable running to the headset anyway and the plan is that the keyer will live in my pocket.

Depends on what you want to do while you are wearing your computer
I'm aiming for replacing my desktop for everything except gaming :D

AND how conscious you feel wearing the computer.
With hood up I'll just look like I have odd taste in shades.

The beagleboard is a better platform for doing all this, it's more hackable. Had I known this time last year how long the Pandora would be delayed I'd have got a beagleboard instead. As it is I may as well wait for these last two months ;)

Those look like a good pair of sun glass I'll look out for those. As for feeling self-concious they do look like shades, nothing odd hanging off your glasses, nothing too bulky. They look like just the thing. If the resolution is a bit low that might not be a problem if the Pandora only supports S video / composite anyway.

I looked at a load of one handed input devices and there are some great designs out there for data gloves, not sure that would be for me though. I definitely don't want a FrogPad velco'ed to me arm though. Still a bit tempted to built a GKOS keyer.

The Beagle board does offer more potential to be hacked into a bespoke system. Although with the connectivity the Pandora has, and the battery life, it has to be one of the simplest ways of achieving a wearable computer.

Anyone of you know of a good camera setup for wearables and augmented reality?
I onle got an El Cheapo webcam and the picture gets mighty blurry when mobing that around (Or moving in front of the camera at all)
As far as i could see, the logitech quickcam 900 seems to be one of the best webcams, but i am not sure, it is good enough. It is also expensive.

Is there a solution fot video input that gives really good video?

Back