Pandora Vs Psp

PSP is old isn't it? I thought it was going to be replaced by PSP2, or was that just the go? If a new version is coming out I would just hold off and if you need something right now I'd get a Pandora no matter what 'advantages' it has. You'll be kicking yourself if you buy a PSP at full price and then the second one comes out and the price of your PSP drops like a stone.

Me personally am getting a Pandora for the keyboard and Linux/homebrew. Also I won't need to search seedy sites to get emulators running.

I posted this before but didnt get an answer. I know the PSP is locked at 333mgz and the Pandora can clock up to roughly 800mgz. Can some of tech gurus here explain how the Pandora's floating point differs (better/worse) than the PSP? How does this affect emulation?

As its CPU, PSP will make use of twin MIPS R4000 32 bit processors running at max 333 Megahertz. One of these units is referred to as the Media Engine, and is to be used for sound, movies and I/O management. In addition, the system will include a so-called VFPU floating point vector unit with calculation capability of up to 2.6 Gigaflops. This latter unit is meant for assisting the CPU in 3D calculations.

Memory for the system is divided into two areas. In all, the system is expected to feature 8 Megabytes main memory with bandwidth of 2.6 Gigabytes per second along with two megabytes of sub-memory, also at 2.6 Gigabytes per second, which will be used by the Media Engine.

Outside of the CPU and main memory, the system will of course include a graphics processing unit (GPU). The GPU is made up of a Rendering Engine and a Surface Engine and has access to 2 Megabytes of VRAM with a bandwidth of 5.3 Gigabytes per second. The hardware will include support for traditional polygons as well as curved surface primitives along with such things as clipping, morphing and more, freeing up software from having to deal with these. Sony claims a theoretical polygon performance of 33 million polygons per second.

SoleGrave said:
I posted this before but didnt get an answer. I know the PSP is locked at 333mgz and the Pandora can clock up to roughly 800mgz. Can some of tech gurus here explain how the Pandora's floating point differs (better/worse) than the PSP? How does this affect emulation?

I answered this question before. Maybe it was in response to you. Clock for clock PSP's VFPU can do more work, at least twice as many FMACs with lower latency. It's also a much more versatile instruction set than NEON. It doesn't affect emulation very much because most emulated platforms aren't float heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
SoleGrave said:

I answered this question before. Maybe it was in response to you. Clock for clock PSP's VFPU can do more work, at least twice as many FMACs with lower latency. It's also a much more versatile instruction set than NEON. It doesn't affect emulation very much because most emulated platforms aren't float heavy.

Ah okay, Thank you. Hmm, I dont think it was me.

One serious comparison coming up.
This should help poison fanboi/trolls in the future!

Tread carefully BrittishJ, the Pandora has a passionate following and liable to flame easily.

Flick through the many forum pages and external review sites, this will give a detailed synopsis of what the Pandora can do.

P.s. Welcome :^)

trapef said:
Tread carefully BrittishJ, the Pandora has a passionate following and liable to flame easily.

Flick through the many forum pages and external review sites, this will give a detailed synopsis of what the Pandora can do.

P.s. Welcome :^)

Flame easily? Whatever. New people who ask the very standard questions just get very straightforward answers. By now it has been pretty much all discussed (differences). For about a year or two already!

The PSP's only advantages are that it has commercial quality games and that it currently has more software. The build quality may be a little better in some aspects, but not everything (especially the glossy nonsense). The Pandora almost overrules practically every other aspect. Fact!

Back