Pandora Themeing

Yes, OSS should be humane.

But I like borrowing from things that work. It's like getting the user studies without having to pay for them or wait for them.

Make it look like an iPhone. ;)

The LCARS theme, (from the OP), has been done quite well on the Nokia N-Series - see video here - here be their website

But, as someone who has used said theme, and has since removed it - please make the sounds optional. I don't want my Pandora to make this noise every time I open it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
Gruso said:
^ That would infuriate me. Turning on Pandora for the first time will be a big moment, one which I will not want interrupted by having to choose a theme. Show me the money first, sell me a coin purse later.
All you need to do then is have a screen pop up saying

"Your Pandora has not yet been configured/personalised. Would you like to do this now"

With a yes no button and a checkbox saying "Never ask me this again, I can access this wizard from the setup menu"

As for deafault looks. I vote bubble icons!

Ah yes, Gentoo's bubble icons...

Vorporeal said:
Pleng said:
Gruso said:
^ That would infuriate me. Turning on Pandora for the first time will be a big moment, one which I will not want interrupted by having to choose a theme. Show me the money first, sell me a coin purse later.

"Your Pandora has not yet been configured/personalised. Would you like to do this now"

With a yes no button and a checkbox saying "Never ask me this again, I can access this wizard from the setup menu"

You must mean kde or gnome, I run gentoo every day, never seen any bubble icons before or seen any icon set associated with the distribution.

sindbad said:
Sphinxter said:
sindbad said:
Regardless of who does what for the interface, this article is a good read.

Anything that likes or promotes EMACS as, "good", needs to be severely questioned.

Just read the whole thing :p

Did, makes a few real obvious good points and then pollutes it by drifting off topic with some rather shitty examples.

Sphinxter said:
Vorporeal said:
Pleng said:
Gruso said:

You must mean kde or gnome, I run gentoo every day, never seen any bubble icons before or seen any icon set associated with the distribution.

They're not distributed with Gentoo, but a bunch of those icons were on their website and became the Official (?) Gentoo Icons.

I couldn't find the page on gentoo.org when I checked, but this page agrees with me: http://www.ionbox.org/icons.html

Vorporeal said:
I couldn't find the page on gentoo.org when I checked, but this page agrees with me: http://www.ionbox.org/icons.html

Lovely, didnt realise they already had bubbleicons for linux! So I should be able to use them with Pandora then? Sweetcakes!

Pleng said:

many will say that icons that are all the same shape are harder to pick out visually. i tend to agree with that. those bubble icons are all the same color, too, for the most part. i think it defeats the purpose to have the icons look so similar.

Back