Pandora Successor Dual Screen Dream Continues....

Hồng Thất Công

Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp
I posted this here and got yelled at so I started this new thread to get yelled at some more.....But you CANNOT stop a man from dreaming  :D

Would something like this be achievable with the Pandora successor?  The two screens slide together and then fold down to form the clamshell.  The keyboard is partially from Sony.  The two nubs are from 3DS.  The Dpad and gaming buttons are from Pandora.  The top screen is like an S4.  The bottom screen, I don't know but the thickness is like the S4.  The S4 is pretty slim so even if you stack two of them up they are still pretty thin.  The two-stack-up screens on top of the base is still thin and probably similar to the side of the current Pandora   :D

In addition, if Pandora successor is modular then the top 2 screens can function like the PSPgo/Xperia Play and could be detached from the base.  This can be use for Android gaming where virtual controls works better. The virtual controls can be on the small screen without overlaping with the game itself.  Also when detached, it can be used like a phone (just slide the top screen down similar to the Xperia Play) if phone capability is to be considered.  For applications that need only one screen, the top screen can be used as the main screen and can be slided down like the PSPgo/Xperia Play and used normaly like P1 now.  For simplicity, I didn't show the shoulder butttons and the hinge.

Now if both screens have separate SoCs, say like 2 S4´s SoCs, we may even be able to emulate PS3?  Yes? No?  :huh:   :D  

dWncomd.png

f0v1c1I.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How would data be transferred between the 3 subdevices? How would the hinge and slider mechanisms work? What would be the battery life?

Double SoCs will not really give you any extra power for emulation.

How would data be transferred between the 3 subdevices? How would the hinge and slider mechanisms work? What would be the battery life?

Double SoCs will not really give you any extra power for emulation.
That's all for you technical guys in OPT to figure out  :D  I just wish to have a device like this  :D

We already got enough problems with the hinge,

these would be way worse with such a design.

If you want to have two screens with each above the other,

I still vote for the detachable screen with a second connector at the side and a simple split screen function

for programs that need them.

Your design would still have the problem, that I can not play my beloved vertical shooters well

and since I got a 3DS, this aspect is way more important for me.

I still vote for the detachable screen with a second connector at the side and a simple split screen function

Your design would still have the problem, that I can not play my beloved vertical shooters well

You should see the the Shield's hinge.  You could stack 3 Pandora's screens and it won't even move.  Something strong like the Shiled's hinge would have no problem with this configuration.

You should see the the Shield's hinge.  You could stack 3 Pandora's screens and it won't even move.  Something strong like the Shiled's hinge would have no problem with this configuration.

You could play your vertical shooter in detached mode with on screen controls like those android games.  Or use the physcial control thru bluethooth or something

Mmm...  no.  I'd much rather go with a physically larger device in the X,Y dimensions with a larger and higher resolution screen than to try to monkey with adding another display to it.

You could play your vertical shooter in detached mode with on screen controls like those android games.
I will never ever use onscreen controls for this, besides that ED already mentioned, that the heat problems prevent us from having the MB beneath the screen,

and if we had all the tech (including all of our nice physical ports, which are not existent in these phones) behind the screen, the hinge problem would be even worse.

Or use the physcial control thru bluethooth or something
If I need a table, the purpose of "handheld" is completely defeated.

Amazing concept, yet sadly impractical for a small hardware team to develop IMHO, not sure anyone could make it now and use separate SOC's for awesome performance.

As for would it be desirable?

Let's assume one SOC is used to power both screens.

Try these questions

1) How much would you pay for this?

2) How many do you think OP GmbH would be able to sell?

3) What real benefit do you get from the second screen?

4) What extra cost would the addition of the second screen bring to the overall cost? (both financial and in terms of difficulty of design, impact on battery life etc.)

5) Would that be worth it for the benefits gained in Q3?

Gut feel / wild guesses are fine.

Amazing concept, yet sadly impractical for a small hardware team to develop IMHO, not sure anyone could make it now and use separate SOC's for awesome performance. - I don't know that's why I'm throwing ideas out.  Who would think one can go to the moon?

As for would it be desirable? - I know I want one and would pay for one. 

Let's assume one SOC is used to power both screens. - No I want each screen has its own SoC and its own battery.  The base also has its own battery  :D

Try these questions - I'll try

1) How much would you pay for this? - In the range of $1200 to $1500, but cheaper would be nice. :D  

2) How many do you think OP GmbH would be able to sell? - How many does Nintendo think it would be able to sell NDS and 3DS?

3) What real benefit do you get from the second screen? - What's the real benefit of the second screen of the NDS and 3DS?  Devs have to get creative and create awesome games/app that utilize dual screens.

4) What extra cost would the addition of the second screen bring to the overall cost? (both financial and in terms of difficulty of design, impact on battery life etc.) - Technical and financial challenges exist in all other devices not the the Pandora.  It's something the OPT must work out.

5) Would that be worth it for the benefits gained in Q3? - What's Q3?  Quake3? See answer in # 3

Gut feel / wild guesses are fine. - OK, thanks!  :D  
You, sir!  I like you as at least you listen to the mad man  :D   My responses are in red above. 

1st screen should be 3d, the other one should be a detachable from pandora, and attachable to face like oculus rift

Why not a second screen powered by USB2? You put it on top of the keyboard, with barely enough space for your fingers to touch the controls.

Detached it would be used to play chess and battleship.

1) How much would you pay for this? 2) How many do you think OP GmbH would be able to sell? 3) What real benefit do you get from the second screen? 4) What extra cost would the addition of the second screen bring to the overall cost? (both financial and in terms of difficulty of design, impact on battery life etc.) 5) Would that be worth it for the benefits gained in Q3?
Yeah, what the business case for this silly design ? :)  

1) How much would you pay for this? - In the range of $1200 to $1500, but cheaper would be nic
You are the only one who would be this kind of money. Stop dreaming and make it yourself.  

@ekianjo: That's why the title of the thread contains the word "dream". So you can laugh at my dream all you want. I know who would kick himself in the butt if, down the road, some big ass corporation builds one similar to this.

So you can laugh at my dream all you want. I know who would kick himself in the butt if, down the road, some big ass corporation builds one similar to this.
The only corporation which would build something like that is the Homer Simpson Corporation. 

Jesus christ.. my eyes!
Yeah, not enough flashy colors to my taste either :)

Back